Chiropractor told me to go down on floor

Saw my chiropractor yesterday.  I've been seeing her for 8 yrs now.  

After the adjustments, she suggested some exercises, one of which I wasn't clear on.  She told me to go down on her carpet face down to do modified form of a child's pose.

I said "on the dirty rug"?  She said it was vacuumed yesterday.  

I couldn’t believe it! With Covid and all, why would you face down on a carpet that many people have walked on with their dirty shoes?  Clients come in off the street all day to her office.

Is anyone else flabbergasted by this behavior from a health care professional?  I did sanitize my hands after doing this BTW.

I also have plugged up ears now which looks like a head cold coming on.😞

I would have just said “no thanks “.  I was at the eye doctor a few years ago. Right before the Covid shut down but we knew it could be coming. The technician came in to check me.  Then she decided to respond to a personal text, leave the room where I could see her attending to a personal package delivery at the front desk. She then walks right back in and is about to check my eyes again.  I say “please wash your hands”.  She gave me a look but I didn’t care. At all. Speak up and be your own advocate. You do not have to do all your provider tells you if it seems unsanitary.  

And for example when I’ve gotten my Covid vaccines at the pharmacist I will ask for clarification as to what I am getting. Very politely. Why? Because I’ve heard of mistakes being made. So at the risk of “offending” I prioritize my own health and safety. So should you IMO. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  Her office requires masks during the visit so I am very surprised she thought it was OK to kneel down on a dirty carpet.  

Lately too she goes on a lot about the men she's met online, commenting on whether she would date them or not.  I really don't care about her dating life.

She has given me rather motherly advice about problems I've had with men over the years.  I've appreciated her feedback.

I could go to someone new which I tried last year but that chiropractor kept asking a lot of questions about my personal life on each visit. I stopped seeing him and came back to this lady.

I wonder how she'd react if I brought it up on my next visit.  That I thought it was an unsanitary request!

I've been going to a chiro for years and have not had to get down on the floor for anything.  I would have said - tell me what to do and I will do it when I get home, on my own floor or carpet.  If they persisted Id have said I dont care to get down on the potentially germy carpeting.  You need to stand up for yourself if you are put in a position you dont like!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Superstickyone said:

I wonder how she'd react if I brought it up on my next visit.  That I thought it was an unsanitary request

What's the point? You went along with it. 

Next time ask for a handout or diagram.  Why hop on the floor to do yoga in a chiropractor office in the first place?

Why argue about sanitation? You keep going back to this practitioner.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, Superstickyone said:

I wonder how she'd react if I brought it up on my next visit.  That I thought it was an unsanitary request!

It's a bit late to address it now, but if asked to do it again, you'll be prepared to ask for a clean mat. Or, you may want to consider chiro-shopping until you land on someone who really impresses you. This might have been your signal that it's time to try that?

Thanks folks. 

I've made an appointment to see a new chiropractor.  Telling me to kneel down on her floor also felt a bit degrading.  I had asked her to draw a diagram first but she said she's terrible at drawing.  Maybe other people wouldn't have felt degraded but I certainly did.

Not all professional relationships are meant to be forever. 

Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Superstickyone said:

Not all professional relationships are meant to be forever. 

Not all relationships are meant to be forever.

In your shoes, I would learn the lesson for next time- don't do things that make you uncomfortable. Of course, more should be expected from a health care professional but they are human. it's up to us to take care of ourselves.

This type of situation, is a good example of the benefits, of being mindful and in the moment. So that, in the moment, we say- no thank you.  I am not getting on the floor in a public place. Maybe you'll find a picture or pamphlet of the move for my next visit. 

• Like 1

My chiro will often ask me to try movements out in her office, sometimes on the floor, but she always demonstrates them herself first and then provides me with a mat to do the movement on.  That she didn’t demonstrate the movement or give you a mat is concerning… I like my medical professionals to have attention to detail!

I agree a mat should have been provided, especially in these Covid times.  I plan to call her office, speak with her receptionist and tell them how I feel. The fact that she suggested this at all is very concerning.

On a secondary note, after the treatment I didn't feel any better (got a head cold though likely from facing head down on a carpet).  My hips were extremely tight all week.  I don’t think she even addressed my hips - which is rather neglectful.  I don't expect a chiropractor to fix every little ache & pain - but after a few treatments you should notice some difference.

I notice that after going to a health care provider for a long time, they tend to take me for granted.  The attitude is nonchalant and the same adjustments year after year.

It's time to move on & I will be picky as to who I choose the next one.

7 hours ago, Superstickyone said:

I plan to call her office, speak with her receptionist and tell them how I feel. My hips were extremely tight all week.  I don’t think she even addressed my hips - which is rather neglectful. 

You could call and complain, but since you found another practitioner, what's the point?

In addition to passive treatments like chiropractic manipulation, why not get involved in yoga, tai chi, an exercise class or other activity?

You may also wish to see a physician MD for an appropriate diagnosis and referral to a physical therapist.