Job taking all my energy and I need to start looking for a way out

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone.  I hope things are going well and I really hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy during the epidemic.  

I have a 9 to 5 job that takes a lot of my time(9 hours a day and that's not including commute time) but I find it completely draining(in fact, I'm using more energy than I have to do the job) despite it being a job with a reasonable salary.  I'm already working on saving money as my living circumstances are minimal so I have a buffer when I quit, or find some way to go down to part time, out of frustration.  This is somewhat my fault in that I thought an office job would be for me and it turns out it is unhealthy for me as I'm sitting all the time which is bad for you, dealing with stressful cases over the phone and with a toxic, passive aggressive, or at best apathetic office environment some of whom are not wearing masks at this point and time.  This isn't even bringing into the fold what I do as I work a non-profit wherein I have to deal with very emotionally draining calls.  After the day is done, I have nothing left.  I don't the energy to pay attention to the Netflix show I'm watching and I feel I'm giving more than I need to give to this job.  And the thing is, even though I'm saving, I don't have the ability to leave on the spot as I have rent, bills to pay and, of course, food.  Each is an Office Space stereotype where it is looking like each day becomes the new worst of my life.  

I want to follow my passions and transition away from leaving this job ... but I have no energy left after a full 10 - 11 hour day(including transit) to even try and make that work.  I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can improve my energy level and at least make what little time to myself I have during the day my own and start building on my passions.  I'm working on voice over(I have a booth and even got a demo produced), I love to read about my interests and I'm even trying to write a book.  Right, however, I don't even have the energy to read which, honestly, it itself, is kind of scaring me.  I'm languid and even sleepy after I work and I hate it so much and I want to get at least some of that energy for myself to do SOMETHING more than just sleeping and Netflix.   

Is anyone in the same boat and did the find some way to reclaim their time and their energy to do what they love?  I'm also trying to find some way of getting away from my job without financially destroying myself and putting myself on the street. 

Thanks a bunch.  

6 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

I have a 9 to 5 job that takes a lot of my time. I'm already working on saving money as my living circumstances are minimal so I have a buffer when I quit. I work a non-profit wherein I have to deal with very emotionally draining calls.   I don't have the ability to leave on the spot as I have rent, bills to pay and, of course, food. 

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile. Just start browsing for jobs on the various job sites.

You don't have to "quit on the spot",  resign when you can line something else up.

As far as the fatigue, malaise, lassitude, etc. see a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support.

14 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile. Just start browsing for jobs on the various job sites.

You don't have to "quit on the spot",  resign when you can line something else up.

As far as the fatigue, malaise, lassitude, etc. see a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health. Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support.

LinkedIn is already updated.  That said, I haven't had much luck in getting offers for better, or at least less stressful jobs.  

Already in with my doctor.  I might have possible NAFLD which might be contributing to my lethargy.  I do have to follow up with him at some point in the near future so I will bring up these issues and see if there's a follow up I can do with a therapist.  

How is your diet? Are you avoiding junk food? Are you drinking plenty of water instead of coffee, sodas or energy drinks (all of which are just terrible for your health)? Do you have dinner at home with healthy, home cooked meals or healthy take out? What do you have for lunch?  Are you getting enough good sleep? 

On your off days are you getting outside or are you sitting at home? 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

I'm looking for suggestions as to how I can improve my energy level and at least make what little time to myself I have during the day my own and start building on my passions.

I've had a couple crappy jobs over the years and it drains the life out of you. I know exactly what you mean when you say you can't even concentrate on a Netflix program. 

I think that the only remedy for something like that is to change jobs. That, of course, takes energy that you don't have. But if you can budget your money, you can budget what time and energy you do have remaining. Consider finding a better job first, and then focus on your career change. Once you have a better work situation, you will have more energy to give that the proper attention it deserves.

I went through quite an ordeal last year when I worked for a nutjob. I wanted to quit my job every single day, but I'm so glad I didn't. Everyone who interviewed me asked if I was currently employed. Being able to say "yes" to that question was a big relief. If you tell and employer that you left your job, you're going to have to explain why you left without making your employer or yourself look bad. That's a tough task. And you really can't play coy and decline to answer during an interview. 

Staying employed while interviewing was an enormous challenge for me. But it put me in a position of power because potential employers knew they had to lure me away from my current employer (I would have gone for peanuts lol, but they didn't know that!!). Of course, the next question is always, "Why do you want to leave your current job?" So, be prepared for that. Like I said, you don't want to say anything negative about your current employer. It makes you look bad.

Finally, I recommend investing some money in a professional resume service that will update your LinkedIn profile as well. Most employers these days use Applicant Tracking System. Professional resume services know how to tailor your resume & LinkedIn profile accordingly. I did this and it was like adding gasoline to a fire. 

You can read about my recent experience here, if you think it will help:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sympathize. This is a very difficult situation to endure over time. Have you considered applying for remote or hybrid jobs? How about freelancing for less hours per week until you recover and feel like working more hours? You can look up top freelancing platforms in your area.

In the meanwhile, one day at a time. Try to see friends in the weekdays, and enjoy the weekends outside. Buy yourself something nice, take breaks, and use your leave allowance to go on mini nice trips.

Do you work weekends? If not, that's your best bet for looking for work. Eat more healthy and set up a plan for your weekends to job search. Remember to take breaks (That can be difficult, once you get going and into a groove). Look for remote work, leave your "passion" for a later start date. Right now, you need to leave this place financially in tact. Once you do, your mind will be more in tact to focus on your passion(s).

If you need suggestions on eating and taking care of yourself; other than doing the research yourself - maybe, invest in a few sessions with a Nutritionist/Health and Wellness Consultant?

I work in a very stressful environment, and I have found the gym to be a very helpful place for me to cope and get the stress out. This has truly helped with my energy after work.  I go right after work that way there is no excuse of going home and sitting on the couch watching t.v. and then not going to work out. Also, I have found that meeting and talking to people at the gym has helped me to go to the gym. 

As far as energy during the day, I would recommend drinking water and having healthy type snacks throughout the day. 

Just make sure you are eating somewhat healthy. I usually eat a salad for lunch and other snack foods, and I typically eat a light dinner (since it's usually pretty late for me by the time I get home from the gym, and I don't want to cook).. If you can try and cook something for the week during the weekend, that way all you have to do is reheat it during the week. That typically works for me, but it's usually eating the same thing every day for dinner. 

Consider using any PTO time you might have to apply in person directly with temp agencies close to home. If you find a temp job to help you crossover, you can take back your commute time and apply for better jobs from within the company to which you are assigned.

Applying online doesn't serve the same purpose, they need to meet you and learn your scores on skills tests in order for you to be on their 'active' roster.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:22 PM, trp said:

I work in a very stressful environment, and I have found the gym to be a very helpful place for me to cope and get the stress out. This has truly helped with my energy after work.  I go right after work that way there is no excuse of going home and sitting on the couch watching t.v. and then not going to work out. Also, I have found that meeting and talking to people at the gym has helped me to go to the gym. 

As far as energy during the day, I would recommend drinking water and having healthy type snacks throughout the day. 

Just make sure you are eating somewhat healthy. I usually eat a salad for lunch and other snack foods, and I typically eat a light dinner (since it's usually pretty late for me by the time I get home from the gym, and I don't want to cook).. If you can try and cook something for the week during the weekend, that way all you have to do is reheat it during the week. That typically works for me, but it's usually eating the same thing every day for dinner. 

Food for thought.  I used to work out a lot but found as I got older I had less and less energy for it.  

As for eating better, after my last visit with my doctor, I don't think I have much of a choice in the matter.  

On 3/19/2022 at 12:58 PM, catfeeder said:

Consider using any PTO time you might have to apply in person directly with temp agencies close to home. If you find a temp job to help you crossover, you can take back your commute time and apply for better jobs from within the company to which you are assigned.

Applying online doesn't serve the same purpose, they need to meet you and learn your scores on skills tests in order for you to be on their 'active' roster.

Good advice!  I'll look into that.