Male Opinion Needed on Gift Idea for My Boyfriend Please!!

I wasn't sure which topic to put this under so I just put it under "Relationship Advice". My boyfriend and I are hitting our one year mark next month and I want to give him a gift, a leather bracelet with this square charm on it and I can customize it. I won't make it embarrassing or obvious at all since I know he prefers subtle things lol. On the front of the bracelet, I want his initials, so I need the input on whether men prefer "Monogram Initial" style or "Standard Initial" style.

Monogram style is written in the form of (first, last, middle) initials, with the "last" initial font size being slight larger than the rest. For standard style, all the font sizes are the same and it is written in the form of (first, middle, last). I have attached a picture if it will show up (I'm not sure).

spacer.png

Please let me know what y'alls opinions are!!! I want to order this relatively quickly to make sure it comes in on time :) Thank you!!

Jewelry etc is very personal. Unless he admired it I wouldn't get it for him. I would get him something he can really use like snap-on tools, or a bottle of his favorite Whisky or a pair of vintage air jordans he collects, new video game, hockey jersey, etc. See where I'm going with this? Men prefer more practical things. They are not romantically sentimental the way women are.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

What did he get you for Christmas? Does he wear or like jewelry?

We are long distance for the holidays so we have not exchanged gifts yet. He has expressed to me how much he wants a bracelet and he loves his chain(s). I gave him a leather bracelet - similar but not the same as the one pictured - for our 6 months, but unfortunately it fell off his wrist at some point when we were hanging out. He wore it all the time and was very upset he lost it and looked for weeks for it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Coily said:

Standard is better.

The bigger question is this the sort of thing your BF would like and wear? If he didn't wear it would you be upset? If that's his thing great, if not then maybe consider another option.

He would wear it. As I mentioned in my reply to Wiseman 2, he loves bracelets and always wears the ones I give him, no matter how cheap. One of them was blue and beaded that I got for maybe $1 at this store out of town, but he still wore it. For our 6 months, I gave him a leather bracelet - similar but not the same as the one pictured, but unfortunately it fell off his wrist at some point when we were hanging out (the clasp was really weird). He wore it all the time and was very upset he lost it and looked for weeks for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, smackie9 said:

Jewelry etc is very personal. Unless he admired it I wouldn't get it for him. I would get him something he can really use like snap-on tools, or a bottle of his favorite Whisky or a pair of vintage air jordans he collects, new video game, hockey jersey, etc. See where I'm going with this? Men prefer more practical things. They are not romantically sentimental the way women are.

I see your point. I give him very practical things like work out clothes he has told me he likes, a bigger water bottle since his was so small, etc. He thoroughly enjoys the more sentimental gifts I give him. The last bracelet I got him was also engraved on the inside and he loved it and loved to read what I put in it. I want to get this for him since he was so upset that he lost the other one.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Keep in mind also that you can't return/exchange personalized (initialing) gifts.

Yes, thank you. I want to get this for him you know? I wouldn't consider getting this for him if he hadn't expressed how much he likes bracelets and how upset he was for "losing" the other one. He felt really bad that it fell off and he hadn't noticed in the moment and apologized profusely. 

How do they do it in your country? I mean about the middle name? Because here its also just in the middle and that is it. It is kinda weird that you have overtly big last name in the middle and then middle name at the end. So I vote second also, it looks nicer and more subtle without that big last name in the middle. Also I would ask if he is a "gold" or a "silver" man? Meaning does he wears jewelry in yellow or white color? Because colors dont match either.

19 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

How do they do it in your country? I mean about the middle name? Because here its also just in the middle and that is it. It is kinda weird that you have overtly big last name in the middle and then middle name at the end. So I vote second also, it looks nicer and more subtle without that big last name in the middle. Also I would ask if he is a "gold" or a "silver" man? Meaning does he wears jewelry in yellow or white color? Because colors dont match either.

It's really preference here. I feel more girls do Monogram style over Standard, so that's mainly why I asked. He is definitely more silver.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rose Mosse said:

I like the standard font.

Overall it’s a nice gift but prefer any engravings on the inside of jewellery, not on the outside.

2 minutes ago, Capricorn3 said:

^ THIS. 100%! To me, the engraving on the outside would be too girly.

I will definitely take that into consideration thank you! I see your point.