Interview Tips!

Jellybean9

Agree completely! If a job for which you are applying requires you to do things that are made more difficult by your dyslexia, then look for other jobs. I'm not saying that to be harsh; I'm saying it to try and help you find a job that you will not only like, but that you can be good at, so that you will enjoy your employment.

My ex-husband had dyslexia, and even as an adult, he saw his numbers backwards, etc. He never mentioned this to anyone (other than me, or his teachers), and he was very successful in his career. So I'm not trying to dyslexia-shame you, lol.

You do not want to start off by painting yourself as a victim who requires special treatment. Industries are small, and word can get around to other companies, who will then not want to interview you at all.

I totally agree I have never disclosed it as I have never felt the need to. It has never created an issue in previous or current employment.

A lot of job applications actually ask outright on the forms if you have a disability (including learning disability). Sometimes they use dyslexia as an example. I just ignore it. As I know they can't discriminate against it but I know they would rather hire someone who can hit the ground running.

The only thing that threw me as I've interviewed for this role in the past and currently work successfully within the same sector. They chucked in a "mini-exam" in the interview. By time I read through it carefully to understand it I felt like I didn't have enough time.

I was only diagnosed mid-way through my degree. It never posed a great issue during my Bachelor's but I noticed a massive difference in my exam performance for the slightly bit of extra time rewarded to those with dyslexia. So in situations where I'm having to be examined just was curious if I should mention. But you guys are right. Why highlight something that is not really a problem.

I'll just accept interviews with exams aren't my "thing".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is all great news!

Even if you land this job (which I hope you do!), update your LinkedIn profile. Add this new job to it, and update once you have some proven skills under your belt.

As for your photo, it does not have to be professionally taken, which can cost a lot. You can have a friend take some headshots of you, against a plain background, with decent lighting (lighting is in front of you, not behind). You can wear a business suit, or a professional top, small earrings (like pearl studs), and minimal makeup and freshly styled hair.

Update your photo every few years, too. It amazes me how many people I see who have 10 year-old LinkedIn photos. No different than the dating sites, lol!

I know you wasn't dyslexia shaming in your last post :). Just really appreciate the feedback.

Also thank you for the tips with the photo! I will get this done tomorrow and have my LinkedIn profile up and running.

Awesome! I think with your great attitude and intelligence, plus your openness to feedback, you'll have no trouble landing a job you enjoy.

You sound like a smart gal with success in your future. :)

Aww thank you so much for that!

Honestly this place has been amazing since discovering it :)

I'm kind of on the fence about disclosing the dyslexia.

I'll tell you why. My department is in charge of training all employees in their work functions. We are required to use written training materials; it is spelled out very clearly in the training regulations. A new employee had been hired in the department and I was tasked with training him. Every single shift I had to retrain him on everything we'd gone over the previous day. After about the 4th time training on the exact same things I became frustrated because our time to get the training done has limits. So I said "X sent an email with detailed instructions how to do this task. You just need to follow the instructions on the email!" And he put his head down and said it a low voice "I can't follow written instructions. The only way I can learn is if someone shows me."

It would have been very helpful it he'd disclosed this because number one, he could have been accommodated and number two, I wouldn't have lost my temper with him! I felt bad, but he really needed to tell someone rather than wait until the staff reached the point of frustration.

I don't know, maybe the next time you are given an exam you can say "I am dyslexic, so I may need an extra minute or two if that is allowed".

Also, be aware that if you are hired and disclose after hiring, the company can say you lied on your application which for many companies is grounds for termination.

Thanks for your feedback boltnrun.

I guess that makes sense as I know it is your employers are meant to support you.

It's a shame he went about it that way. He must have been embarrassed to say something I guess.

Luckily I've been able to be in control of my own learning and I know what works for me best. So I'm honest with managers about my learning styles. Which again goes for all people really.

There are times I've emailed people in the office how to do something when they've asked. So despite them trying they just can't understand it with simple instructions. I'll end up having to show them and that's how they managed to learn. It's amazing how people's brains pick up information so differently.

Yes good point. I would never disclose it after being hired. To be fair there would be no reason to.

Maybe if throw an exam in an interview I could reference it or just try my best. If for whatever reason I was unsuccessful on the grounds of the exam then I know the role was not meant for me.

Update: I was offered the job for the interview last week as they really liked me.

Unfortunately it was under the salary that the recruiter had orginally thought it would be... So I've had to decline. As it's silly to take less for the same role I'm doing than I'm on now.

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice for the interview as it obviously paid off :)

I also heard back from the one I did before I made this thread (my first interview). It was sadly a no as they felt the other person they offered had interviewed better and performed better in the "mini-exam". You win some you lose some.

So honestly think all your tips helped with the second interview. Will take this all on board for my next interview.

Thanks a bunch guys x

So this is actually great news, Jellybean! It means that your interviewing skills and follow-up were good enough for them to really like you, and want to pursue you! And you should be proud of yourself for standing your ground on the salary, knowing what your true worth is.

And great attitude on the other. You're absolutely right.....you won't win 'em all, but at least it gives you interviewing/job hunting experience.

Keep on keepin' on!

I was incredibly tempted to take the lower salary but knew it would set me back when looking for work in the future. As it was only a 9 month maternity cover contract. So need to also be practical.

I do really need to leave my job for other reasons. So that was really making me tempted.

It was a really lovely company but I know there will be more interviews around the corner.

The two I have had the last two weeks have given me confidence to move forward.

Every experience is a good experience :)

My counter offer was to match my current salary.

They advertised the job way above my current salary. Based on working it out pro-rata as they wanted someone in 4 days a week it matched my current salary.

That was why intially went for the interview. As I know you should always strive to increase you salary. I thought a matched salary for one less day would essentially still be a step up.

That's why the recruiter was also confused! As they have decided to go back on their original salary posting.

Just wasn't meant to be.

To be fair they wanted someone to start immediately! I have a one month notice period. So that also posed some issue on their side.

Which was the same issue with the previous job I was rejected from.

Onwards and upwards!

I've been applying for a lot of jobs that are directly advertised by the company themselves!

The first interview was me directly applying and doing their online questionaire.

The problem is a lot of the top jobs outsource to recruitment agencies. Same with my current company as it's easier and less burden on the company itself.

As the recruiters are clever they do not give company names or contact details until setting up the interview.

By which time you can't by pass them we my current company are unable to take the application as speclative if the recruiter got there first.

They are crafty and very well at their jobs and getting that commission!

Great that you're applying directly to the jobs themselves. And yes, the recruiters will put a big stop sign if they're involved.

Make yourself visible on the best sites: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, etc. Update your resume on those sites, and fill out the profile fully, so that recruiters/job searchers can contact you.

Thanks for the advice.

I can't believe I've never heard of glassdoor.

I've only ever used indeed, Reed, total jobs and CV library. Guess that's another to add to the list. So thanks :)

I've taken a massive risk! I've handed in my notice yesterday.

So I will be on it religious until I find somewhere.

I know January there is a massive batch of jobs on offer as everyone seems to resign in the nee year. So fingers crossed x

Thanks for all your advice guys

Glassdoor is good because it has employee reviews of workplaces in addition to job listings. Just be on guard for fake reviews, just like any other site. If it sounds too good to be true.....

I quit a great, high-paying job once, without another one lined up. I then found the job I have now, which was not only a complete career change, but something highly technical for which I had zero experience or knowledge. 14 years later, and it was the best thing I ever did. You got this.

Thank you. That is so reassuring!

As I've had many friends and family support my decision. As things were very hard to move past in my role and made me unhappy.

Then my "best friend" reaches out today and was like "why on Earth would you do that without a job lined up?". For her to ask makes it clear she is no real best friend.

Anyway hearing your story has been super postive! Thank you for sharing x

Thank you. That is so reassuring!

As I've had many friends and family support my decision. As things were very hard to move past in my role and made me unhappy.

Then my "best friend" reaches out today and was like "why on Earth would you do that without a job lined up?". For her to ask makes it clear she is no real best friend.

Anyway hearing your story has been super postive! Thank you for sharing x

Why does that make her no best friend? Do you complain all the time? Has she ever had a job she hates?

Just answer her question - don’t ruin a friendship over something so petty.

I agree. Not supportive of her at all.

It would be one thing if she were to simply ask you some questions about your decision to quit, but the way she said it is very judgey. Me no likey. The "Why on Earth" part would cause me, too, to take a major step back from that friendship.

Who is she, your mother? Sheesh.

When you're at a crossroads like this, you need two things: support for your decisions, or honest advice from those you seek it. It would be one thing for her to have asked some questions, given honest feedback. What you don't need is judgment. Sorry she was like this.

I will still never forget my brother's reaction when I quit the job I was talking about. Same level of judgment. I was like, you know what, I'm not asking you for money. Just sharing what I'm going through. Really ticked me off, so I get it.

Why does that make her no best friend? Do you complain all the time? Has she ever had a job she hates?

Just answer her question - don’t ruin a friendship over something so petty.

I agree- she probably reacted impulsively and cut her slack -it's scary to see someone quit a job if it seems that they will have no stable income and perhaps she's concerned about your level of savings. I had a friend (no longer a friend) who wouldn't link in with me on Linkedin because I was not employed while being a "stay at home mom" - she didn't want others to see her connected to someone of my lesser status. I didn't end the friendship (I never asked her to link in, she just shared that) but thought it was ridiculous and later when the friendship ended thought about whether there were other similar things like that I had overlooked (yes, a few). So, yes, take into account that her comment was less thoughtful than you would have liked and keep a slight distance and see if she on balance is supportive once she digests your big news.

It doesn't sound like a lack of support, it sounds like a legitimate question, since most people would not (or could not afford to) quit a job before having secured another one.

my "best friend" reaches out today and was like "why on Earth would you do that without a job lined up?".
It doesn't sound like a lack of support, it sounds like a legitimate question, since most people would not (or could not afford to) quit a job before having secured another one.

Agreed.

I almost walked out on a job once. I told my friend I was planning on quitting at the end of the month. Her reaction was the same. It’s absurd to do! But I wasn’t offended because I know it’s absurd. I answered: this job is killing me. It’s draining me and those around me. I wake up with dread. I’ve been saving for 6 months to quit and now I can afford to be unemployed for at least 6 months. I need to do this.

She was scared for me but supportive.

I ended up getting laid off (cyclical industry) in that window I planned on quitting and I got severance, so it worked out splendidly :)

Well she is the girl I posted about in the "age gap relationship" section.

I don't expect her to support me. But it was clear she had no idea of my life anymore.

But still comes to me for advice on her relationship and life situations. Which thanks to coming here as made me realise I need to stop letting people lean on me like that.

This last month I finally opened up to family and close friends about just how difficult work has been. Foolishly kept it to myself for a long time.

She was fully aware of why I have been looking for work. So knew why I essentially needed to do this. As I had told her last week about it in detail. I'm not one to usually complain about things.

I get her concern. I do have mortgage but I've been saving like crazy incase this was to ever happen. Again that was not asked as if I'm going to be okay financially.

I think what hit me is I've finally told everyone at work as HR has not officially announced it and would rather tell a select few first hand.

Shocking how many of them came back with... It's for the best as you have been unhappy with work for some time.

I'm the girl who always has a smile on her face. But these last two months that's clearly vanished and I hadn't noticed. But other people clearly did.

The minute I said work has been getting me down. Her reply was "what do you have to be depressed about?"

I'm not letting something like a friendship go over something petty. It's been a long time in the making. This whole situation has opened my eyes to that.

I'm genuinely happy with my decision. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Everyone else in my life has been supportive. Even you strangers on here!

Anything that makes you happy can't be a bad thing really.

Sorry for the essay.

I agree. Not supportive of her at all.

It would be one thing if she were to simply ask you some questions about your decision to quit, but the way she said it is very judgey. Me no likey. The "Why on Earth" part would cause me, too, to take a major step back from that friendship.

Who is she, your mother? Sheesh.

When you're at a crossroads like this, you need two things: support for your decisions, or honest advice from those you seek it. It would be one thing for her to have asked some questions, given honest feedback. What you don't need is judgment. Sorry she was like this.

I will still never forget my brother's reaction when I quit the job I was talking about. Same level of judgment. I was like, you know what, I'm not asking you for money. Just sharing what I'm going through. Really ticked me off, so I get it.

Thank you. It's nice to have someone who can relate first hand.

I know I'm not going crazy.

Archived