Designer Resume Dilemma: Changing the year I received my BFA to get an entry level job?

GretelQRRY

I am an illustrator/ Designer with a BFA from a pretty prestigious art school-- I graduated a few years ago in 2013. I've been freelancing since college and doing crappy odd jobs on the side to keep myself afloat, even after receiving the fancy BFA. However, I'm by no means a slacker, in any job (artistic or, not) I work hard, manage my time well, have always been very self-motivated to make sure I am making quality work/ artistically challenging myself--but I also am aware of my limitations. Since I've been very motivated in keeping up my own portfolio and freelancing, I have a very vast portfolio of illustration under my belt. I unfortunately always under-estimated myself and didn't go for stable design jobs because I didn't believe I measured up to their various requirements. For example, not knowing certain softwares or, lacking the actual industry experience at things like product design, etc. My freelancing has been solely illustration and I haven't been responsible for anything beyond that. But, I also believed that my personal style wasn't trendy enough, so I automatically assumed that no one would even want to hire me. I regret all that self doubt because it cost me years of potential, stable work. I look back on all that and I can see that someone out there might've have hired me because I now see that all I needed back then was to show up with solid potential-- with the desire to grow. It feels that is no longer the standard for someone like me.

I'm at the point where I'm getting older, and I cannot keep living like I'm in my very early 20's-- I want to start a family and not rely on inconsistent freelance illustration work/ odd jobs. But, I do want to utilize my artistic skills-- I'm interested in getting a proper design job with a salary, benefits, and such. I've been aiming to rectify this by doing work on my own time to make a proper portfolio that might be more applicable to these kinds of jobs. But, this still doesn't change the fact that at this moment I do not have a lot of industry experience or, that I'm also not fresh out of college. Unfortunately, a lot of those jobs DO require about 2-3 years of industry experience, if you aren't just out of college. If you ARE just out of college, you just have to have a decent enough portfolio to get an entry level position/paid internship-- which is what I need. I feel it would look very bad on my resume if I had graduated several years ago, without much experience afterward to show for it, and wanted to get an entry-level position.

I'm considering changing the year I received my BFA. Thing is, I've never lied when applying for jobs or, anything like this-- because I've always prided myself in having personal and professional merit. However, I feel so much shame for having waited so long after college to try get such a job. I feel my opportunity to be "new at this" has passed, I fear they will misinterpret my lack of experience at my age as being a slacker. I am wondering if it would be so bad to say I graduated a couple of years after the year I actually did (2015 instead of 2013), in order to get an entry-level position? That way I wouldn't have to account for the wasted few years of bartending and small freelance jobs. It isn't like I don't have the degree at all, because I actually do. Is that really bad?

But, entertaining this option makes me feel awful. Would it be better to just be up front, let it all hang out; let them (hopefully) extrapolate from my resume I'm a late bloomer, not a slacker? Is there anything that gives me the leg up this way? Can I still have potential to someone years after graduating?

I would be careful here. Sure, plenty of people have lied on their resume. In Massachusetts, we had a state official say that he graduated Heidelberg University in Germany although he didn't speak a word of German. (The school doesn't teach classes in English.) Nobody checked his resume for 20 years, but when someone did, he was fired immediately.

If someone calls up your college registrar they can easily find out when you graduated and the rest of your resume will be in doubt. I can see the merits of lying, but I would advise you to stay with the truth. Show interviewers your freelance stuff and more recent examples. Draw a piece specifically for the job and the company you're interviewing with. It shows you are really interested in the job. And just say you've been paying your dues by doing freelance jobs. You never know. You might have the right mix of experience and energy and get the job. Good luck.

Thanks, all very sound advice that is driving me away from "the ledge". I think I just needed someone to tell me not to stoop to this kind of career desperation Regardless of how small the detail it would probably trouble me (and, as you said, I'm sure it would also trouble whoever would employ me-- I'm not interested in perpetuating distrust on any level) You're right! I think I will go with my gut and be truthful.

In most professional fields, it's generally (and either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your outlook and needs) known that employers won't verify a degree more often than they will. But it also depends on how heavily you're being considered based on your degree as opposed to other matters more worth their time to verify such as relevant experience, references, and / or your portfolio.

Additionally, in your case, you might have to conversely justify not getting stable work experience "prior" to going to school (rather than after), or if you're trying to suggest it took you like 7 years to get it as opposed to 4 (and still not having the time to get stable work experience), that could hold you back just as well.

I mean the risk is up to you. No reason for me to take personal offense to you cooking up dates for your resume. Plenty of folks get away with it.

Also bear in mind that, should you get caught, depending on how spiteful the HR person is that you happened to be the person who justifies them having to go through the trouble of verifying academic credentials at all, you can also run the risk of getting blacklisted by other potential employers.

OP, checking your credentials is easy and routine. There is a national database for that so employers don't even have to bother with your university. Their HR can go online and check with just a click of a button. Do not lie.

Regarding your hang ups about your experience.....once again you are allowing your insecurities to get in the way of obtaining proper employment. Freelancing is the norm for what you do. In that respect, your resume is no different from hundreds of others. Freelancing counts as employment in your field. What you do need and what really counts is a strong and well rounded portfolio. Make sure it's well organized and professional. In your field, your work speaks for you, not your resume. In fact before anyone reads your resume, they'll first go to your portfolio link and see if it's even worth to go any further.

A potential employer is going to look at your artistic style, your capacity to adapt your style to different needs, your capacity to accept criticism (what you produce is not your baby, you are there to realize someone else's vision), your capacity to deliver on time (think references here from your freelance jobs), your capacity to communicate with the team easily and without drama, the variety of software and assorted media skills you bring to the table. So if you are going to worry about anything, it would be the last one. If you are looking at job ads and notice there is a software requirement that keeps coming up that you don't know, learn it asap. For salaried jobs in general, companies have a tendency to look for people who have varied skill sets, for example, online ad design, packaging design, video editing, etc. If you are lacking, then that's what you need to focus on - teaching yourself those skills and adding them onto your portfolio.

In the business world, it's not about hiring the most talented, it's about hiring one who can deliver steady results on a daily basis. Having done freelance work and dealt with client demands is actually to your advantage here. Also, don't eliminate yourself from any potential position. Have a well rounded portfolio and go ahead and keep applying. Employers will flex when they see what they like. Plus you can always self teach whatever they need you to use after you've started.

Your biggest challenge in securing a position is actually you, specifically your negative self talk.

In the business world, it's not about hiring the most talented, it's about hiring one who can deliver steady results on a daily basis.

This is so true. I know incredibly talented, intelligent and well educated people who can't build a good career. Then you look around and there are so many average Joes (average is a complement for them) who make a ton of money in the corporate world.

I believe the reason is that they don't have insecurities, don't acknowledge risks (possibly to dumb for that) but they are more "stable".

It makes sense in the end, unless you are working at NASA, a company doesn't need talented people. Actually talented people would create problems.

My sense is that it isn't that big of a deal that it's been a few years since you graduated. You have freelanced, which is plus: You've worked with clients AND have some experience doing business. If you've worked with deadlines, that is another plus. And I see your few added years of maturity as a plus. The things you listed ( work hard, manage time well, self-motivated, quality work) are good basic qualities, but basic, in my opinion, for design work. Please let go of the shame, I don't think there is any reason for it. I'd stress your reliability, enthusiasm, ability to work with clients, competence with the software, as well as your creativity and problem solving. All stuff that will make a difference to their business.

Archived