Do you think women should go to bars by themselves? If you've read any of my posts you'll know that my boyfriend and I broke up about a month ago. IT was bound to happen...anyways I'm ok with it...we have NC for a while---except when he came over the other day to get a few things. We moved away together to attend school...I haven't really made any friends down here. That part kind of sucks, but the alone time has been really good too. I'm finding "my old" self and trying to regain some self-confidence. It's a beautiful night tonight and I really feel like going out. I have gone to a bar by myself once...it was weird. Nasty old men kept hitting on me. I just wanted a freakin' beer and they wouldnt leave me a lone. I know I'm damn sexy, but why do the nasty men have to hit on me DO u think it's a bad idea for a girl to go to a bar by herself. I mean --I'm not looking to get any or anything like that. I'm jsut hoping to meet some girls and guys who are cool and want to shoot the breeze...I just wanna have a good time. I don't want to send the wrong impression...like i'm a hore or easy or looking for action or anything like that. I dunno...I'll probably just rent a movie.

Well I go to the bar myself, and I found I have a similar problem as you stated (old icky guys). In those cases don't be nice, just get up and walk away. Head to the bathroom, sit elsewhere. It works.

Since going I have also met a few people (my age range) and generally I head towards the places I know at least one of them will be, so I'm not technically alone anymore. Once in a while I can talk a friend into going with me.

Yes, a woman should never go to a bar alone. There are plenty of perverts/sex offenders looking to find vulnerable women out in the street. Its not safe these days.

Hope I helped!

Jaiva

I plan to stay out of the street and in the bar...I wouldnt be the easiest target for a sex offender. I am really tall and not very dainty...not that i'm a big fatty or anything..I am just built...so...if he wants to target me he had better have a gun, because I could put up a very very good fight.[/i]

Do you think women should go to bars by themselves?

I think they should if they are alcoholics. Otherwise, since you say you would like to meet people, there are much better places to meet people. A good example would be in church, volunteering somewhere, a club or organization (bowling team, whatever your interest may be), in an educational institution, or even at your workplace. I would think going to a bar alone would spell disaster . . . even if you do have good intentions.

suprema---are you implying that I am like one of those lonely old drunks at the bar? hehehe...

well..the only reason I would go to a bar, not just alone but in general is to listen to live music. And there just so happens to be a damn good Reggae band playing tonight at a local pub. It wouldnt hurt to have some interesting convo while listening ...and perhaps I would find some like minded individuals to share the music with...perhaps not. I'm not going to go...I'm just going to sit at home alone again tonight. Chances are I would run into my ex there anyway and that would be NOT GOOD.

I thinks it's awesome if you are secure enough in yourself to head up to the bar alone, I am a wimp when it comes to goin' it alone. My dad, b/f and friend of mine have all gone to a movie by themselves, I couldn't even imagine that, I wish I was more like that. As for the safety factor, make sure you don't get loaded, cause then you will look vulnerable for the on-looking old farts at the bar. I say go have fun!!!

I would not categorize someone an alcoholic if they go to the bar alone, just as I wouldn't say someone who masturbates is a sexaholic!!! LOL!

Your life live it!!!

Yes, a woman should never go to a bar alone.

Its 2005, women can and should do what they want when they want!

Well i sometimes head to the bar alone, but by now I know a lot of the people there. It is ok to head out alone sometimes since frineds are not always available due to other commitments such af gf's and children. But that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have some fun.

I see no reason at all why you shouldn't go, it shows confidence (and an outgoing personality) and confidence in a person is a really attractive thing. Once you are at a bar you are bound to meet somebody to talk to. As for the older pervy types they are everywhere but there are also genuine guys around. Go out by yourself and have some fun; you can always get a taxi to and from the bar.

Enjoy your night out

I thinks it's awesome if you are secure enough in yourself to head up to the bar alone, I am a wimp when it comes to goin' it alone. My dad, b/f and friend of mine have all gone to a movie by themselves, I couldn't even imagine that, I wish I was more like that. As for the safety factor, make sure you don't get loaded, cause then you will look vulnerable for the on-looking old farts at the bar. I say go have fun!!!

I would not categorize someone an alcoholic if they go to the bar alone, just as I wouldn't say someone who masturbates is a sexaholic!!! LOL!

Your life live it!!!

Yes, a woman should never go to a bar alone.

Its 2005, women can and should do what they want when they want!

Yes, in an ideal women should be able to do what they want, but it's not an ideal world. In every city I've lived in, a women going to a bar by herself is pretty much asking for trouble. It's a sex offenders wet dream.

And it's not just about getting to the bar and getting back home at night, there are very smart and experienced people who are very good at slipping things into your drink. If you have at least one person around, then somebody will notice if something's wrong. If you don't know anybody, then nobody's going to know if you're missing.

If any of my friends who were girls were off to a bar by themselves (not that they ever would) I would not let them go without me. I used to pick up my flatmate from her nightshift at work at 12:30am despite the fact that I'd have to get up early for work.

I'm sorry if I sound condescending in anyway, but I feel I can't stress enough how important safety is. I've known a few friends of mine who have been drugged in bars and/or raped.

I thought about doing this as well, as I'm a single, good-looking girl in a popular city with lots of other singles... but at the same time I still don't want to go out by myself. Why? For one, it's more fun going with friends. I'd feel more comfortable, less insecure, and if things are boring and the guy I'm talking with turns out to be a major douche, I can use my friends as an excuse and say I have to go with them to get something... and talk with them instead until the next guy comes along. Secondly, if you're going out alone on a Friday night, there's going to be drunk guys hitting on you, and it may not be that safe...

I don't know about the safety thing though. I mean, I'm in a relatively safe city -- I can just go to a university bar where lots of students will be, so people my age will be there, cool college atmosphere, but at the same time... I'd just feel sorta like a loner. And since I don't live in the city (I commute from home, about an hour away) if I get a bit drunk and have to walk to the subway which is like 15 mins. away by myself at 12:00 a.m. or whatever, I'm not sure it's that safe. If you have a drive home or something, can take a taxi, that's good though...

It's just a personal choice. If I were a bit older (like around 25) I might be willing to go by myself. But as a hot young 20 yr old girl... hehe. perhaps not so safe. (Also beware of walking home @ night. I was on a street corner once late at night, waiting for the night bus to take me home b/c the subways stopped operating and 2 cars came up to me. One just glanced and then drove on, the other one, two guys stuck their head out and asked if i was interested in "any services" I was totally shocked and quickly said "no" but what if I were drunk, and they took advantage of me? After that I didn't do that ever again. The bad thing was that my boyfriend lived in the area and never even stayed to wait with me for my bus. He was a selfish @ss though, I'm glad I broke up with him...

Well hope that helped.

You can't tell me Chicago is the safest city in the world.

Not sure I exactly put it that way, but I feel safe.

If you live your life scared of everything, that's not much of a life at all.

I use precaution everywhere, when I was in fifth grade a man tried to break into my house while I was home from school alone, since that day, I have been conscious of my surroundings and safety. And just because its "Chicago" doesn't make it unsafe, there are rapists, murders and robbers everywhere.

I dunno - I personally wouldn't go to a bar by myself. I think its better if you meet people elsewhere - or at least another girl that you could go to the bar with - like meet some people at work or at the gym or somethin and ask if they want to go hang out at the bar - that way you won't be going alone and it'll be easier to meet people when u are not all alone... definitely find a friend to go with... you'll meet people hang in there - i was alone in a new town too, but friends come up if you are nice