How much of a detriment is it to be plus-sized?

mustlovedogs

My understanding is that 16+ sizes is generally considered plus-sized (in terms of clothes and whatnot). It's not super duper plus size, in that you have to go to special stores for clothes if you are around size 16. I am currently 16/18 but I am able to shop at regular clothing stores just fine which makes me happy. I used to be in the 30s or 5X/6X and when you're that big, then yeah, you can't shop at regular clothes. I go to plus size places for their bras though because they have some brands that I like. That said, it depends on what you wear, your body type, and the guy you're talking to. Some guys really want someone petite, others prefer women who are average, others are fine with women who are larger than average. It's really subjective.

If you were coming on here with "I am overweight but I only want a man with the body of an Adonis" then I'd laugh and tell you to hit the gym because it's stupid to expect something in a partner that you don't have yourself. But you're not being ridiculous. really, it's okay. Loads of people, thin and large, fall in love everyday and have relationships.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you Ms Darcy and Fudgie! I had gotten to a place where I was confident but this online dating stuff made me feel insecure. But all these posts have helped me get back to where I was

That's why I say don't online date exclusively. REALLY!!!

I met my husband through an online site. But this is after a DECADE of dating online and off. You'll drive yourself crazy if you are online too much. It's a good supplement. That's it hon.

I agree with Ms Darcy that OLD should be a supplement. You may or may not meet someone through it. It's kind of a crap shot. And yes, OLD makes usually confident people feel insecure. You're out there for the world to see and people can send harassing or abusive messages. It's definitely hard.

If you write a good profile though and have flattering (but not deceptive) photos that include a full-body shot, you should be okay.

I agree with Ms Darcy that OLD should be a supplement. You may or may not meet someone through it. It's kind of a crap shot. And yes, OLD makes usually confident people feel insecure. You're out there for the world to see and people can send harassing or abusive messages. It's definitely hard.

If you write a good profile though and have flattering (but not deceptive) photos that include a full-body shot, you should be okay.

Fudgie, I agree. The hardest part for me was in putting myself out there for the public to see (I value my privacy).

I'm a size 14 as well. Also trying to slim down. Truthfully, a lot of men do like women who are curvy - they like something to hold onto. I've dated very fit and lean men who are into the BBW. I get all sorts of men writing me online - from chubby guys as well to very fit muscular men to very slim men.

I must be doing something wrong then! I get tons of views (something like 250 in my first week on Match) but only 4 messages...

Plus I wrote something like 30 guys with no response. Lol.

Don't worry. It's not a 100 meter dash (more like a mile run). Let it all play out (until the subscription ends). Also, check your profile, and make sure you're not limiting who can find you. For example, the last time I did online dating, nothing happened until I increased my searching distance from 10 mi, to 60 mi, and then there she was....

Archived