Why does ex boyfriend think meeting up means dating?

Ella2009

hi

so do most of you think meeting a ex GF for dinner or lunch means you are on a date? But he is perfectly ok to meet when there are other people present like at his work etc.....

If an ex called me up and asked me to go to lunch with him, I would think he was trying to win me back, was trying for a second chance, trying to hang on to me or trying to date me. If there is anything he had to say to me - "hey, i found your baby album when I unpacked what I took from the house" - then he can communicate by email or mail. If you are in his industry and have to see him at his place of business and have no choice but to interact - then that's another matter - but going for a one on one lunch - why would you do that? Curiosity? I would think lunch, a movie, dinner, anything besides necessity communication can be construed as interest.

I would think it's a fishing expedition, an opportunity to find out over lunch if there is an opportunity for friendship, for fwb, if there still is something there... I wouldn't call it a date except in the sense that i might call other obligations on my calendar a date. "Date" implies intention, and intention is missing.

Of course he thinks it's a date. ANY contact with Ex = some interest left.

Do what you should've done long ago, cut him off complete. And if there is kids involved, keep the relationship at KIDS ONLY.

Problem solved

Context is pretty important. How far removed are you from the relationship? Who's the dumped? Who's the dumper? Are either of you dating anyone? What type of restaurant are you going to?

If you're the dumper, then you asking the dumpee to grab a meal or a drink one-on-one is going to be treated as a date by the dumpee if you are pretty recently removed from the break (definitely within 6 months, maybe even out to a year removed). So you need to be prepared for them trying to convince you to get back. If you're the dumpee, the dumper will probably think you are trying to get back with them if you're recently removed. They'll either take the invitation and rebuff your advances, take the invitation on the condition that you know that this isn't a date, or just ignore/reject it.

Depends on context. If the guy is the dumper then he's be OK meeting in a crowd of people but would think the girl is looking to reconnect in a one on one situation.

Yes, guy is the dumper and works in a bar and is ok with meeting up at his "work" but not to have dinner etc some place else

I would think it's a fishing expedition, an opportunity to find out over lunch if there is an opportunity for friendship, for fwb, if there still is something there... I wouldn't call it a date except in the sense that i might call other obligations on my calendar a date. "Date" implies intention, and intention is missing.

that was my thought too until i read the mens perpective

Yes, guy is the dumper and works in a bar and is ok with meeting up at his "work" but not to have dinner etc some place else

That's because he doesn't want to be one on one with you, I think. I think the question of whether it's a date or not is entirely irrelevant. He's not comfortable meeting up in a situation that could even be remotely perceived as a date, even if it wouldn't be in other contexts.

Why are you bothering with all this?

Context is pretty important. How far removed are you from the relationship? Who's the dumped? Who's the dumper? Are either of you dating anyone? What type of restaurant are you going to?

If you're the dumper, then you asking the dumpee to grab a meal or a drink one-on-one is going to be treated as a date by the dumpee if you are pretty recently removed from the break (definitely within 6 months, maybe even out to a year removed). So you need to be prepared for them trying to convince you to get back. If you're the dumpee, the dumper will probably think you are trying to get back with them if you're recently removed. They'll either take the invitation and rebuff your advances, take the invitation on the condition that you know that this isn't a date, or just ignore/reject it.

So he did the dumping, i did the things you are not supposed to and then went NC for 50 days or so. then called him and so far he says come by my work (he works in a bar rather owns it) instead of accepting to go out. mind you its just been 2 weeks since i ended the NC.

Archived