Why are people always so negative about the idea of committing suicide?

The Cold One

I do see where YOU are coming from... but if we dig deeper as to WHY people do commit suicide is the Sad fact of it all.

Because they have suffered & suffered and most likely felt that they could NOT bear any more of the suffering and are giving in... as result, it affects everyone near to them.. in a negative. ( Nothing positive).

Mental health care is the poor relation in any overall Health Services Executive budget. The part of any health budget assigned to the area of mental care is laughable.

So many suffering from mental illness are simply unable to access or receive the help they badly need. And then there are those who because of stigma attached to mental illness do not seek the medical and other care they need.

"Vulnerability to suicide

Many experts believe a number of things determine how vulnerable a person is to suicidal thinking and behaviour. These include:

life history – for example, having a traumatic experience during childhood, a history of sexual or physical abuse, or a history of parental neglect

mental health – for example, developing a serious mental health condition, such as schizophrenia

lifestyle – for example, if you misuse drugs or misuse alcohol

employment – such as poor job security, low levels of job satisfaction or being unemployed

relationships – being socially isolated, being a victim of bullying or having few close relationships

genetics and family history "

"It's estimated 90% of people who attempt or die by suicide have one or more mental health conditions. However, in some cases, the condition may not have been formally diagnosed by a clinician. "

I don't think that I can even get any help in this place I'm in , if I tell my parents , they'll go about their religious stuff and probably take me to a priest who knows nothing about psychology or anything of that sort and he'll just try and talk me into getting attached to the church and becoming committed to religious prayers and rituals , none of which I really believe in anymore , so they can't even work in a placebo effect sorta way . I guess I'm just stuck.

You should talk to your parents still, you will be suprised of what they might say if you talk to them and make them uderstand what you are going through. Dosen't matter if you think they will overact, make an uproar, etc remember they are still your parents; they love you and want the best for you.

Sorry for the bad english.

Well Cthun, I know they're my parents and all and I do realize how much they love my for sure , but it's just that they're way brainwashed with their religion that it's almost impossible for me to talk about any of my problems whether mental or otherwise without them going all nuts and linking it to me not being religious and "Close to God enough" , so I don't really think that talking to them would in any way a good decision , and wiseman , I don't really know any trusted adults that I'd feel comfortable talking to about such thing of that sort, the problem is , mental health is the middle east in general is viewed as a bad joke , nobody cares one bit about it and everyone just ignores it by numbing themselves with prayers and useless ideologies , that's why I've thought about suicide , it's because I feel there's no other way out of this whole entire mess.

OK TCO. Forget about elders and the like for a moment.

If you can, and I know that financially it may be an obstacle, but perhaps see a complete outsider, by which I mean a professional counsellor. Someone who has no vested interest and with whom you can have an objective discussion and get some help and support.

Egypt:

"Egypt, with a population of over 70 million, has about a thousand psychiatrists (one psychiatrist for approximately 70 000 citizens), more than 1300 psychiatric nurses and about 200 clinical psychologists, with hundreds of general psychologists working in fields unrelated to mental health services. There are many social workers practising in all psychiatric facilities, but unfortunately they are general social workers with minimal graduate training in psychiatric social work. In 1960 there was an attempt to educate psychiatric social workers at the Institute of Social Services in Cairo, but this lasted for only 2 years because of a shortage of applicants."

Not just Egypt. There is a lamentable shortage of health care in the psychiatric sector in any country you care to name

I'm no so positive about the validity of these stats , anyhow , I don't really think your suggestion is doable to me . It's quite unlikely that such a person even exist , like someone whom I have no personal connection to whatsoever who would give this sort of help without any financial benefits coming out of it for him . I know that the only solution is to kill myself , I know there's no other option because things aren't getting anything but worse and worse with every single day that passes . If only I can just have the courage to do it. Today I looked at my Mathematics book , felt sick to my stomach and didn't open it for the rest of the day and my exams are less than two weeks away.

Mental health care is the poor relation in any overall Health Services Executive budget. The part of any health budget assigned to the area of mental care is laughable.

So many suffering from mental illness are simply unable to access or receive the help they badly need. And then there are those who because of stigma attached to mental illness do not seek the medical and other care they need.

"Vulnerability to suicide

Many experts believe a number of things determine how vulnerable a person is to suicidal thinking and behaviour. These include:

life history – for example, having a traumatic experience during childhood, a history of sexual or physical abuse, or a history of parental neglect

mental health – for example, developing a serious mental health condition, such as schizophrenia

lifestyle – for example, if you misuse drugs or misuse alcohol

employment – such as poor job security, low levels of job satisfaction or being unemployed

relationships – being socially isolated, being a victim of bullying or having few close relationships

genetics and family history "

"It's estimated 90% of people who attempt or die by suicide have one or more mental health conditions. However, in some cases, the condition may not have been formally diagnosed by a clinician. "

I find the NHS are quite happy to sign repeat prescriptions for meds but do hardly anything to question why someone has been on ADs for over 10 years.

I also think, in the UK, we are somehow programmed NOT to spend money on our health. Strictly speaking, I COULD afford a few sessions but would feel guilty spending the money on myself when there are other priorities we need to spend on. In other cultures, perhaps those where there is little or no government-funded health service and greater disposable incomes, it is more normal.

I would say that when I've contemplated suicide it has usually been when something traumatic has happened, like marriage break-up.

I've found a lot of people seem to get depressed.

Well Cthun, I know they're my parents and all and I do realize how much they love my for sure , but it's just that they're way brainwashed with their religion that it's almost impossible for me to talk about any of my problems whether mental or otherwise without them going all nuts and linking it to me not being religious and "Close to God enough" , so I don't really think that talking to them would in any way a good decision , and wiseman , I don't really know any trusted adults that I'd feel comfortable talking to about such thing of that sort, the problem is , mental health is the middle east in general is viewed as a bad joke , nobody cares one bit about it and everyone just ignores it by numbing themselves with prayers and useless ideologies , that's why I've thought about suicide , it's because I feel there's no other way out of this whole entire mess.

I guess much of what you say may apply to Egypt than some countries but I would imagine, from what I've seen, that it applies to just about everywhere. I fully sympathise with what you're saying about trusted adults. I'm married but even find it difficult to tell my wife, at least not the whole story.

I agree with you MwD on the issue of those repeat prescriptions. It cannot be good that someone is on ADs for ten years or more.

However, as always, funding is at the heart of the matter. It isn't that there is a shortage of therapists, but if one wished to access via the NHS, then the waiting time would be far too long and if lucky the patient might get an appointment ocne a month. Once a month is quite useless for someone needing maybe at least twice a week sessions.

And, of course, many therapists (I am speaking here qualified professionals) are in private practice, and doing very well, which means that people are going to consult with them and have therapy.

Not just in this country, but in others, I have acquaintances who work in this area and they are all booked up solid maybe three weeks in advance. Certainly, sessions are expensive, of that there is no doubt. It wouldn't be unusual to pay in the region of €100 for 50 minutes.

On way or another, the issue needs to be addressed, so that mental illness sufferers are not brought to the point of desperation. As the slogan goes: "It helps to talk".

According to MindOrg one in four people each year will experience a mental illness. So, yes, the percentage is indeed high.

Mind you, on the other hand all too often the term "depression" gets bandied about and therefore trivialized. The "Monday blues" or even the blues for a week is not depression.

"Depression is not the same as a passing blue mood. It is not a sign of personal weakness or a condition that can be wished away. People with depression cannot merely 'pull themselves together' and get better. Without treatment, symptoms can last for weeks, months, or years. Appropriate treatment, however, can help most people with depression

I think society is negative about the idea of suicide...because...you've heard that adage "it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem", right? Well...It's true.

The times in my life where I've felt the most hopeless..the most prone to believing ending life would be better than struggling through it...were the points where I was the least capable of making rational decisions.

Your thoughts "it will never get better than this" come from a place of not feeling in control and depression. I would strongly urge you to seek medical help- get medicated....it will help you/empower you to feel more in control of your life. Medication takes the edge off the sadness....so that you can do things to improve your situation/life.

I'm not opposed to suicide though. I just think it requires different circumstances. Alzheimer's runs in my family, and I've already told my bf...if in 30 or 40 years, I develop it and there's no cure...I will end my life while I'm still lucid. I will not live like my grandmother did. I will not burden my husband with caring for and loving my empty shell. People with a terminal illness...I'm all for them having the right to end their lives.

But...as a mother...I read your post, and feel so sad. If my daughter died...I would probably die too. I honestly have no idea how I would ever move on with my life...I think my heart would break and I would never recover...so please think of those that love you before you consider death. You're so young. Your life is just beginning. I know it's full of uncertainty...and right now it might look bleak...but life rarely turns out how we imagine it at 17. I have a completely different life than I thought I'd have...and I'm very happy. You will find your happiness too....if you choose to live and fight.

In high school a friend committed suicide at 16. None of us ever understood. I'm sure his mother still grieves. Still wonders who he would have become...who he would have married, what his children might have been. But she'll never know. He'll never know what his life may have been.

I think society is negative about the idea of suicide...because...you've heard that adage "it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem", right? Well...It's true.

The times in my life where I've felt the most hopeless..the most prone to believing ending life would be better than struggling through it...were the points where I was the least capable of making rational decisions.

Your thoughts "it will never get better than this" come from a place of not feeling in control and depression. I would strongly urge you to seek medical help- get medicated....it will help you/empower you to feel more in control of your life. Medication takes the edge off the sadness....so that you can do things to improve your situation/life.

I'm not opposed to suicide though. I just think it requires different circumstances. Alzheimer's runs in my family, and I've already told my bf...if in 30 or 40 years, I develop it and there's no cure...I will end my life while I'm still lucid. I will not live like my grandmother did. I will not burden my husband with caring for and loving my empty shell. People with a terminal illness...I'm all for them having the right to end their lives.

But...as a mother...I read your post, and feel so sad. If my daughter died...I would probably die too. I honestly have no idea how I would ever move on with my life...I think my heart would break and I would never recover...so please think of those that love you before you consider death. You're so young. Your life is just beginning. I know it's full of uncertainty...and right now it might look bleak...but life rarely turns out how we imagine it at 17. I have a completely different life than I thought I'd have...and I'm very happy. You will find your happiness too....if you choose to live and fight.

In high school a friend committed suicide at 16. None of us ever understood. I'm sure his mother still grieves. Still wonders who he would have become...who he would have married, what his children might have been. But she'll never know. He'll never know what his life may have been.

You're absolutely right about degenerative diseases as one gets older. I think it's a completely different kettle of fish to young people committing suicide after a break-up.

• 1 month later...

No, I don't judge anyone who would want to end their life. In fact, I think we should be able to have legal medical assistance to do so, without being terminally ill. More people want to live than want to die, so society would continue.

However, I do think people go through "phases" where they think it's not going to get better, like heartbreak, or loss of a job. But for those who have struggled for most of their lives and truly see no way out, I can understand that.

We really have failed ourselves as a community with respect to mental health. Thank goodness for places like this.

When I was in college, I felt as blue as I ever had felt. Stopped going to class and already was self destructive in other ways. I finally called the health service and was told I could have an appointment late the next week.

I was appalled. Next week?! I was a dysfunctional mess and I knew I would go back into my productive and positive mask by then. I needed a walk in place, someone to receive me during my moment when pain and desire to save myself showed up at the same time. Instead, we treat mental health patients like physical health patients. As if we have the strength to help ourselves by showing up.

It's called mental health for a reason. The executive branch is failing. Nobody is looking out for us when our brain isn't working right. Mental health practices fall short when we need them most. I hope we figure this out, as we know so much more about the brain than before.

Because life can change...because suicide is a closed-minded option....there are always more options. Because you can choose to change, have more experiences, there's always a way to be useful, other people need you....you are not the center of the universe.....and don't have to be. You can have empathy for others and choose to help.

Archived