Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Moving to Italy...having mixed emotions

rhw

I almost don't even know where to start...sigh....

Before the year is over my husband and I will be moving to Sicily. My husband is in the Military and we have orders there. It's coming FAST and I am NOT READY!!! They are moving us there just before Christmas. So we will be in a whole new world away from our families just in time for the holidays (not that we live near our families now). When we get there we won't have anything... none of our home furnishings...our car...nothing and that will be the case for up to 3 months. It's going to be a complete and utter shock. I've never been to Europe and I have NO IDEA what to except. It's scary. Please don't get me wrong I am excited and I am truly grateful for the chance to be able to do this and I know once we get there and get settled I will be OK. But right now it's a lot to absorb and the unknown is stressing me out. My husband has a sponsor there who is supposed to help us and answer our questions, but I guess the guy hasn't been in any sort of contact with my husband and doesn't respond to any emails. There is so much that I need to know!

Does anyone here know anything about Sicily? I know there is probably a difference between civilian and military life, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have family in Italy, not in Sicily, but generally Italy is a laid back, warm, friendly country. People will be curious about you, people will talk to you, it will be beautiful and you will love it there. There will be plenty of people who speak English and everyone else will be more than happy to teach you Italian if you ask them for help.

It will be rough being away for the holidays, but you will enjoy it. If I could live in Italy anywhere permanently I'd have gone a long time ago. It is by far my favorite country and the only one in Europe I do call home. My ancestors are from Italy and I have relatives that live near Rome. I've been three times and it's just always such an adventure. You'll find other military families too who will take you under their wing and introduce you around.

You will likely look back on this time down the road and remember it as one of your happiest. Also be prepared to discover some of the best food and wine and just people who love to talk on the planet. Enjoy!

I have family in Italy, not in Sicily, but generally Italy is a laid back, warm, friendly country. People will be curious about you, people will talk to you, it will be beautiful and you will love it there. There will be plenty of people who speak English and everyone else will be more than happy to teach you Italian if you ask them for help.

It will be rough being away for the holidays, but you will enjoy it. If I could live in Italy anywhere permanently I'd have gone a long time ago. It is by far my favorite country and the only one in Europe I do call home. My ancestors are from Italy and I have relatives that live near Rome. I've been three times and it's just always such an adventure. You'll find other military families too who will take you under their wing and introduce you around.

You will likely look back on this time down the road and remember it as one of your happiest. Also be prepared to discover some of the best food and wine and just people who love to talk on the planet. Enjoy!

One word: PIZZA(the REAL pizza, NOT the Papa John's/Domino's/Pizza Hut crap that passes for "pizza" here)

Thank you ALL for your replies, you have put my mind at ease a little. I know it's going to be a wonderful experience in the long run. I guess it's just the getting there part and the stress that comes along with it that is making me spin. I mean this is the MOTHER OF ALL MOVES! It still feels surreal and I feel it will until we step off that plane.

I am definitely excited for all the wine, food and fresh markets! And of course the traveling that we will get to do...oh the places we will see.... places I wouldn't even imagine going in my wildest dreams. I also know it will go by fast. I just want to get there and get on with it. The anticipation is killing me and there is definite tension between my husband and I because we are both feeling the stress.

What is that???

I am Canadian so our international postings are called " OUTCAN" . My husband was in Sigonellla and Trapani. They were based there to jump to a troubled hotspot a few years ago. He had some holiday time there as well and went to Malta. They came home via the Azores.

I am Canadian so our international postings are called " OUTCAN" . My husband was in Sigonellla and Trapani. They were based there to jump to a troubled hotspot a few years ago. He had some holiday time there as well and went to Malta. They came home via the Azores.

Gotcha

I've never even left the country. Well, besides Mexico, but that was before you even needed a passport to get in. My husband being in the Military has traveled the world. He has seen many countries and all walks of life, so for him this is nothing. To me, it's huge! HUGE! I don't know what I am going to do with myself.

No life like it. Just 13 more years to retirement . My husband wants to serve until he forced to retire at 60. Combined Reserve and Reg Force time he has served 29 years already. I have been a military partner for 27 years.

I do remember you telling me you were a Military spouse, it's nice to have a fellow spouse on here Someone who "gets it". I haven't been a Military wife quite as long as you, but we are working on it. We've been in 7 years and I do say WE because I've been with him every step of the way and we've done the back to back deployment thing.

It's going to be neat because like I said, he has seen the world and I've lived through him and FINALLY we get to experience something great together. When I start to feel the stress, I need to remind myself of the great adventure to come.

I do remember you telling me you were a Military spouse, it's nice to have a fellow spouse on here Someone who "gets it". I haven't been a Military wife quite as long as you, but we are working on it. We've been in 7 years and I do say WE because I've been with him every step of the way and we've done the back to back deployment thing.

It's going to be neat because like I said, he has seen the world and I've lived through him and FINALLY we get to experience something great together.

Yes , that's going to be an exciting journey for you both!! We've never been somewhere international together. And we probably won't be this late in the game. But you never know!

Archived