My Boyfriends daughter uses his shower!

brokenheart911

Hello everyone, I have been away from this site for quite some time, but I am dealing with a dilemma in my new relationship. I have been with my boyfriend for the last year and a half. He has sole custody of a 16 year old boy and 19 year old daughter. There are many issues but I will only discuss the one that is most important to me.

His kids both use his shower. At anytime they feel like it, even if we say we are going up to bed. One or the other usually jumps up to say "going to have a shower". My boyfriend just says "We'll go up as soon as their done". Its now about 12 midnight and I am not in the mood for anything, somewhat fell asleep on the couch waiting and I just want to get to bed!

His daughter was in there one time with her girlfriend doing their hair and make up. Yep, I had to wait till they were done. To make a long story short, I discussed this with my boyfriend and told him how this is affecting our relationship as well as the fact that we have absolutely no privacy. He said he would take care of it and things changed for a few weeks and then right back to the same old.

I spoke to him again making it very clear that the kids should use their own shower (btw they didn't like there shower and bathroom because it was outdated). I let him know that if this issue didn't get resolved we would limit to spending nights together at my place (my kids are 21 and 23) my older son lives on his own my younger son is still in University.

He spoke to his kids and gave himself a 3 week time frame to completely renovate their bathroom. He and I painted, changed the toilet, mirror, re-grouted the floor tiles, painted the cabinets, changed the faucet and he had a glass door installed on the tub. It looks amazing. We did it together as a team and everyone seemed happy. I was! Until Sunday night, after a long day of cooking and entertaining at his place I finally got to go up to shower and wind down. Everything was great until I went to put my towel in the hamper and noticed his daughters panties in the hamper and her tampon applicator in the garbage bin.

I do not think this is normal behavior. I need to address this again, I am at the point where I don't feel respected.

We all get along but this is honestly driving a huge wedge between us. Any advice please?

That's a tough one. He should be making sure you feel that you have some privacy at his home as that is the right thing to do. If that means the kids need a routine change then it should happen by him enforcing it and not making you out to be the problem and or making you feel dis-respected. Make sure he knows that then back off. If he can't manage it himself that might be an indication of what your future holds with other issues not even related to the kids.

OK ,this is been their pattern except for the past year and a half. Is it their father's home the one they grew up in? I don't see that changing until they leave home.

When my mother remarried and blended two families together she refused to move into my stepdad's home ,steadfast refused. Exactly for the reasons you have here. They bought their own house together and made new rules.

It might be that the daughter subconsciously or not is making a statement here about whose home this is.

I was in a live in situation for a while with a divorced man with 2 teenagers. I suppose that was very emotional for the girl even though she liked me. I think you might be better off to just drop it, and find other places and times to be intimate.

For about three years my stepdad's daughter made subtle and not-so-subtle statements to my mom that she was queen of the house not my mother. She was also a teenager at the time. ( her mother had passed away when she was 11)

Eventually my stepsister left home at 18 and never returned.

I do not pay the mortgage. I do contribute when I make meals for them, take his daughter out on girls nights, pay for any classes of interest for her and I. Lend her my car when needed and clean up and organize the house when it is out of control. Never asking or expecting anything in return. I do these things because I sincerely care for them.

Thank you for your input. His kids have said it time and time again that they are going to live with him for as long as they can because they have no responsibilities, chores or rules to follow. No parameters whatsoever. They even call him in the middle of the afternoon if we are out to say "what time are you coming home, we're hungry". They do not even make themselves toast. My kids have always been self sufficient so this is very frustrating to me.

He has raised them to be this way. They are virtually adults so you're not going to change this. And being it is their family home I don't think they're probably going to leave until he kicks them out. And it sounds like he has no problems with the way they are.

So if you really can't stand it is probably best to end this relationship. Really I can't see it getting better.

The shower is the least of your worries. Due to the guilt of the divorce, he has spoiled then and established no boundaries, routines...etc. They have no respect for him and will use him as long as he allows it.

I imagine it is hard for you to respect him as well.

Yes that is another issue. One that I wasn't going to touch on quite yet. I have lost a great deal of respect for him at this point, however; I do love him and he is truly a good person. Just not able to give the kids any boundaries. This creates a problem for me because many times I see how much they take advantage of his good nature and it hurts to stand back and watch.

I think you are taking this too seriously.

I understand you would want some privacy and that's totally reasonable. But you are talking about the big-respect or not- issue with a kid, and that's a bit too uptight. Try to understand that they are just kids (although should be old enough to know better), and also try to understand that it has been their habit for the past few years. Be patient and talk to them, give them few more chances before get into the all serious thoughts about being respected or not.

I have only asked that her dad and I have some privacy
Perhaps the fact that she's now only using the master bath when you're not there (re: her panties in your hamper and the stuff in the trash can) is her way of giving you privacy. Has anyone actually come right out and been straight up with them and said: "The master bath is now off limits to anyone at anytime but us?"

If you haven't, why not?... particularly now that their excuse before was that the other bath was so outdated... and that has been remedied. This whole thing could just be resolved with that one statement and if the 'rule' isn't abided then there must be some consequence that their dad would advise them of.

End the situation with a solution like that.

Archived