Isn't punching someone for getting spat on excessive force?

yeawutever

IMO that's not self-defense, even the driver in the article said afterward that he could have handle it better (hence, that's already admitting that wasn't done in true self-defense). He was spat on but he went on straight forward throwing a punch.

There are several people on the comment section that keep thinking the guy defended himself and are rooting for him. Personally, he deserves to get punished too and I don't feel sorry he lost his job. No doubt spitting on someone is indeed wrong but so it's what he did. That wasn't an appropriate response. Basically he had no legally valid claim of self-defense.

Legal or illegal is irrelevant. TO ME, that does not drive MORALS.

Don't forget 100 years ago women didn't have a right to vote......and 150 years ago or so Slavery was legal.....that doesn't mean that it was RIGHT.

If you spit on someone, expect an ass beating. Simple as that.

Well spitting on someone is stupid but that person that punches and beats up the other person also deserves to get charged. I don't feel too bad for her but I don't feel the least bad for him losing his job either.

Article says he spent 3 days in jail, paid a $1000 fine and lost his job. He also took responsibility when he admitted that he could have handled it better.

Given the circumstances I'd say he's paid his debt to society.

Is part of how strongly you feel because he hit a woman?

Article says he spent 3 days in jail, paid a $1000 fine and lost his job. He also took responsibility when he admitted that he could have handled it better.

Given the circumstances I'd say he's paid his debt to society.

Is part of how strongly you feel because he hit a woman?

It would be as equal as he would have if it had been a much smaller, weaker man, a child or someone else he knows very well he can easily knocked out and he didn't even felt his life was at stake. Yes, he paid his debt to society; that's really the consequences for not handling it better.

I still wouldn't date him.

Well...spitting on someone IS, in a lot of jurisdictions in the US, a form of assault. I personally would not punch someone for spitting on me, because I think it would be just setting myself up for a world of hurt -- legal and otherwise -- but...spitting on someone IS disrespectful, and it's pretty disgusting. Still, it seems like a bit of overkill -- generally speaking, spitting doesn't cause injury (unless someone catches a disease from the spit, which is pretty unlikely), and punching someone for spitting on you seems incongruous.

I wouldn't date either of them -- the spitter OR the puncher. I believe in violence ONLY to defend my life or someone else's -- not just because I'm mad. People who resort to any type of physical altercation to solve their issues aren't people I want to be around.

Well...spitting on someone IS, in a lot of jurisdictions in the US, a form of assault. I personally would not punch someone for spitting on me, because I think it would be just setting myself up for a world of hurt -- legal and otherwise -- but...spitting on someone IS disrespectful, and it's pretty disgusting. Still, it seems like a bit of overkill -- generally speaking, spitting doesn't cause injury (unless someone catches a disease from the spit, which is pretty unlikely), and punching someone for spitting on you seems incongruous..

Agreed.

OP, I would be far more concerned about your obsession with violence, and where it's all coming from and WHY. Have you ever looked into professional counseling/therapy?

Agreed.

OP, I would be far more concerned about your obsession with violence, and where it's all coming from and WHY. Have you ever looked into professional counseling/therapy?

I guess you might have to dig back all way back to late 2005 and early 2006 but it's a lot of posts since then. Nope, I really have no interest in telling strangers a full biography. Last time I tried going to one many, many years ago (in my former campus...was 19 then), someone had to actually come to the house. Nothing got solved other than having to then tell my parents why I even tried speaking to a counselor. Never tried again since. I ended up feeling nothing but anger towards that lady.

Disparity of force is more like it, but they both mishandled that horribly. I don't get why the bus driver didn't just pull the bus over, get out, and call the police if there was a problem. I've had more than one bus driver do that when I used city transportation. And spitting on someone is right up there with poking a rattlesnake with a stick, yeah you are going to get bit right or wrong.

People are just daft sometimes.

Archived