Boyfriends dog poops on the floor every time we have sex.

Moontiger

Title kind of says it all. My BF has two dogs. One of them has an anxiety issue (he is seeing a vet about it soon). Every time I come over and we go into his bedroom to do what couples do, when we emerge she has pooped on the floor. Even if she has just been out for a walk.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I would love some advice.

Just for the record I love his dogs and they both cuddle with me when in over.

Well that's why she's acting out by pooping on the floor. She can't get to HER bedroom. Try moving her crate to another room where she has full access to it when she wants it.

Two dogs in a Bachelor pad? He's brave.

Good luck. I don't think there is anything causing her to do what she's doing but revenge. lol

Can the crate be moved into another room? At least temporarily, while you two have sex?

It does sound like she's acting out or having some anxiety issues and she may well not poop on the floor anymore if she has access to the crate.

Alternatively (assuming no roommates), you could just have sex with the bedroom door open and so she will be able to "see" what's going on and have access to her crate. Keeping the door open may lessen her anxiety and it's very possible that she won't bother you.

Just some more information that might be helpful: he got the dogs when he was still married. He and his ex have an agreement where the share custody. So I'm sure going back and forth between homes every few months doesn't help her anxiety.

When the bedroom door is open she runs in and jumps on us.

She used to bark at me when I would come over but that hasn't happened in weeks. She will still, I would say 30-40% of the time start to whine when we kiss. But that has slowly been getting better.

His apartment is a one bedroom, no roommates.

it's jealousy! none of my pets ever did the pooping thing, but when my bf and i first started spending time at mine the dog would turn to the wall with his a$$ to us while we cuddled. mooned us!!! also, every time i kissed or snuggled my bf the dog would rush over to us, wiggle his head between us and demand my cuddles- if he didn't get them he'd go get his stuffed toy, fling it about the room while making sure to take up a lot of space while doing so ("look at all this space I'm taking up in my room, look at me fling about my teddy all over my space, look at me hijack Rainy's attention, me, my, mine!").

luckily bf is a huge dog lover and my dog is a friendly cuddle monster so the issue was settled soon as bf was spending more and more time over, played with the dog, and we also put an auxiliary doggie bed in the other room. they're best buds now.

i think you may be right there's anxiety/separation issues with your bf's dog that contribute to the behavior- shared custody sounds very confusing for the furry. apart from consulting the vet, i'd definitely make a separate room available to the dog and close the door during private time. They do get used to it. There must be "pooping out of spite" tips available on dog training sites and similar, it seems a lot of people have this problem.

how does the jelly dog react if you "gift" her with a toy/cookie? sorry about the bite, i would understand how that'd make you reluctant to socialize with her. hopefully your boyfriend is helping to bridge the gap by training her to like/accept you. I did it with simple stuff that would show the dog my bf is as much his human as me. we first took walks together, i'd let bf walk him a little and get the dog used to coming when he called him, occasionally it was bf who fed him the first meal in the morning etc. It probably takes more effort with a very anxious dog who already has two "humans" and is finding herself having to accept the third as well- pup must be tired of the confusion. But with mine the jelly phase didn't last long, i'm pretty sure with some help yours will adjust well too.

Fingers crossed, I hope the vet has useful tips.

On my phone so I cannot give a full reply but here are some main points:

Dog has not bit me ! Lol, she very cuddly and sweet.

She has a history of doing this long before I came along.

She in the past has pooped in her crate.

I've started going on walks with them.

She loves it when I throw toys for her.

She pooped on the floor again today.

i'd definitely make a separate room available to the dog and close the door during private time.

The dog's behavior is triggered when she is not supervised. This will not work with a dog with separation anxiety. A room gives her plenty of space to pick a spot to urinate and walk away from it. No consequence for the behavior.

Over 90% of dog bites are fear-based reactions. The dog would not have bitten you just because she didn't like you.

How much exercise is the dog getting? Jogging will work her bowel movement. Again, the dog should be walked before sex. If the dog hasn't pooped, she immediately goes to her crate for 30 minutes... Release her and take her outside again until she goes. She needs to get into a routine by associating getting out of crate = bathroom time.

If the dog is pooping in her crate, then the crate is too big. Dogs do not like to sit in their own filth.

holly smokes i just reread the entire thread and no mention of a bite. i have no clue, i could've sworn someone said bite. sorry about the confusion.

if it's been happening before you entered the picture then the suggestion of getting some "dog-whisperer" type of help with her sounds good. it seems unlikely she'll just be "tricked" into not pooping inside easily if there's quite a history of that. i'm surprised bf hasn't sought some help with training her earlier, frequent indoor pooping would have most people want to improve that behavior early on.

hope you'll keep us posted, i'm really curious. fingers crossed.

edit: oh you said she used to bark at you initially on the first page! i must've misread that as bite, sorry again. glad you're snuggle buds

Lol, that must be it! Easy mistake to misread Bark as Bite.

The dog in question was an anti-anxeity meds. I don't know the exact timeline but I assume that he and his ex were talking to a vet when they took her off of them. My BF is going to look into getting her back on them.

Generally, his first reaction is to yell her name when he sees the poop. After that she is not allowed on the couch (where he, I and the other dog usually sit) for a while. What I do when I came over is, first "claim space" dog whisper style. Moving forward calmly everytime she moves back. I think that has actually helped. Me and my boyfriend at also starting to make the dogs wait to be invited onto the bed when we go to sleep at night until they are invited on. When I cuddle with the dog I will give her a massage so she associates me with someonething good.

I think the meds, along with her getting more used to me with walks, feeding time, etc is going to help.

Probably the "shared custody" is your issue no wonder the dog has anxiety. I never understood why people have shared custody of pets. That's just silly and it messes the animal up. One person should keep the dog and then maybe the poor animal won't have anxiety . Animals don't like their environment "changed up " all the time like people do. Plus, they can't intellectualize why they're being moved from one person to another and one environment to another that's not right to do it the animal. When people do shared custody they are projecting human emotions onto an animal. The animal is much happier with one person in one environment.

Probably the "shared custody" is your issue no wonder the dog has anxiety. I never understood why people have shared custody of pets. That's just silly and it messes the animal up. One person should keep the dog and then maybe the poor animal won't have anxiety . Animals don't like their environment "changed up " all the time like people do. Plus, they can't intellectualize why they're being moved from one person to another and one environment to another that's not right to do it the animal. When people do shared custody they are projecting human emotions onto an animal. The animal is much happier with one person in one environment.

Gotta say that I agree with ^^^ that. (As hard as it would be to leave a fur-baby, I'd do it for the sake of the animal and my love for it.)

Archived