Can someone tell if you blocked their number?

blueidealist24

Hi, I'm just wondering if someone can tell that you blocked their number, depending on the type of phone they have. I'm considering blocking a guy, since he cancelled dates with me three times but keeps asking me out on more. He begged me to talk to him again, and I said I'd talk as friends to get him to stop begging, basically, but then he asked me out again and I think he's going to today as well, since he just messaged me. I don't want to put the effort into making plans with him only to be cancelled on again. If I say I'm busy, though, or just no, he bothers me and says that I'm a chicken... so I think the easiest thing to do might just be to block. I just don't want him to KNOW I blocked the number because one time I blocked him on Facebook and he went on another Facebook and started blabbing "I can't believe you blocked me" and "You're so rude" and other stuff, and he even found an old Facebook account of mine to add me on when I blocked him on his second one, too. To make a long story short, I don't want him to start calling and texting from friends' numbers or something... anyhow, the bottom line is, can someone tell if you blocked their number?

By the way, the reasons he cancelled the dates weren't because of emergencies or anything. #1, because he couldn't borrow the car he thought he could borrow (he doesn't have one), #2 (his boss asked him to work at the last minute), and #3... the worst... he got back together with his ex! Then he didn't talk to me for like two weeks, but came back and said they broke up again and asked me out... that made me feel really great... like a Plan B! lol. Plus it was the day after he said he had dumped her again, so he might as well have been carrying a sign over his head flashing "REBOUND" in bright, shiny red letters.

Oh wow, I would think you'd be more scared off by him making other Facebooks and looking for other accounts of yours on there than whether or not he'd cancel on you again. Gives me the creeps.

What kind of phone do you have? I have an android and I have to use apps to block. Unfortunately I did not find a good enough one that would prevent them from leaving voicemails.

Yea what a creeep! Cancelling plans is the least of your problems! Definitely block him right away!

Not sure what phone you use. What you can try, if convenient, is to block another number (a spare, or your home phone, or a friend who can help you), ring your phone from that number and see if you can tell it had been blocked.

OP, how involved are you with this guy? Your update doesn't indicate if you ever went out on a date with him, or how long you been dating him, or if the two of you were in a relationship, or....

I never met him since he cancelled each time. He was from an online dating site. I've talked to him on the phone and Facebook video chat, as well as texting. By the way, I might be "in the clear." After one, "Hi, how are you?" to which I didn't reply, he sent me no more texts today. I see he's joined OKCupid, which he never had in the past (only Evow and POF), so maybe he's found some new people to chat with.

I'm frustrated with online dating again. I blocked another guy's number and email.. he seemed nice at first, and we talked on the phone, too, but then he started going on and on about his feet all the time and I just got plain annoyed. He did say he had a foot fetish, but I didn't think that was going to become such a major fixture in his conversation.

Oh yeah, and another one asked me to go to a hotel, but I tried to get him to meet for a coffee instead, and after trying to convince me to go to the hotel again (again a no from me), he stopped talking to me. *sigh*

These people are a waste of your time, run at the first sign of trouble (eg the guy that suggest you go to a hotel, you should have written him off right away, I don't see why it's frustrating at all that he hasn't contacted you after that, I would have been glad to have gotten rid of him), do not give them the time of day and you will feel less frustrated.

Also, why did you have to block the feet guy, did he keep pestering you after you said you were not intersted?

These people are a waste of your time, run at the first sign of trouble (eg the guy that suggest you go to a hotel, you should have written him off right away, I don't see why it's frustrating at all that he hasn't contacted you after that, I would have been glad to have gotten rid of him), do not give them the time of day and you will feel less frustrated.

Also, why did you have to block the feet guy, did he keep pestering you after you said you were not intersted?

No, I blocked the feet guy because I felt it was too awkward to explain why I was no longer into him, since at first I said the foot thing was fine but I didn't realize quite how into feet he actually was. His routine was the same every night.. "What are you doing right now? I'm in bed, looking at my feet. What would you do to them if you were here?" Eventually I just kinda snapped and hit the block button everywhere without explanation. Not the best move on my part, but I've had it done to me.

I'm not upset that the hotel guy in particular isn't talking to me, but I'm just upset that there are so many men seeming to be just looking for sex on the sites (I would guess that an invitation to a hotel logically entails an invitation for sex right off the bat!).

Sorry I just laughed at the stuff the feet guy said.

It's easy enough to just say I don't feel there's chemistry between us (or I don't think we are compatible), best of luck, bye. But if you insist on blocking them, ok I guess that works too lol...

I usually don't do that. I'm usually honest. But this guy seemed super into me, and I said I was totally cool about the feet thing at first (I should have thought that through a bit more), so I think he was going to take it really badly, and like try to argue his way back into my heart, per se. He was talking about meeting my family and we hadn't even met yet. Maybe I dodged a bullet in another way too.

The additional info helped in filling the gaps. First, you should block this person (no brainer). Don't concern yourself on whether he'll know it.

The main question was how this person knew about you on Facebook, which you've addressed. For a stranger (which he is), they should know little about you until you're comfortable with them (a few dates). You shouldn't give them your full name, facebook info, address,... They should have no way of knowing about your friends, or family.

The main question was how this person knew about you on Facebook, which you've addressed. For a stranger (which he is), they should know little about you until you're comfortable with them (a few dates). You shouldn't give them your full name, facebook info, address,... They should have no way of knowing about your friends, or family.

I occasionally will add the guys on Facebook so they can see more pictures of me, since I don't feel like uploading any more on the dating site. I don't have my address on Facebook (or even my town, actually), and currently, my last name isn't there, either. I used to add the guys with my last name but then one guy creeped me out and I took it down. I like adding them to Facebook myself because I can find out some stuff about them, too. I found out that two guys had girlfriends through that! If I hadn't seen their Facebooks I would have gone out with them and they may have dated me and the other girls at the same time, with none of us being the wiser! (Btw.. they weren't stupid enough to actually have their relationship status listed.. I would just see a girl talking to them in a sexy or romantic way, and then I'd visit their profile.. and voila.. find out from there).

I've been going through a situation recently where I looked into this, and am blocking the number in question, here is what I found out:

I have an iphone, and the person I am blocking has an Android, which is good because even when we text as normal there is no 'read receipt' on any texts, or even a 'delivered' notification below the messages sent. When I block him, and he texts me, he doesn't see any change, he just never gets a response from me. So, at worst, it just looks like I'm ignoring him - not that I blocked him - as far as i know, there's no way for him to know I blocked him for sure. BUT, if he calls, he'll get either my vmail immediately or a message saying 'This number is currently unavailable'. The latter could potentially tip him off that I blocked him, because it's either that or I changed my number without telling him. It doesn't really matter to me if he knows. He then can still leave me a vmail, but it will show up in my voice mail log under the 'blocked caller' list.

If he had an iphone, however, he could potentially figure out that I blocked him if he texts me like normal because there will no longer be a 'Delivered' receipt under any texts. It'll just show his bubble sending to me and nothing underneath.

Regardless, you need to block this guy everywhere, and if he continues to harass you take screen shots and report him. Honestly, he's exhibiting pretty unstable/ stalkerish capabilities and you should get as far from him as you can.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Archived