Improving yourself

Well, its that time again. I am once again inspired to make a post, this time about improving your life.

This post is also more for the younger people, who are still in highschool/middle school, but the information can be applied to anyone.

I see people posting things about how bad their life is, ect. Well, this is for them.

First of all, I used to be a not-so-good-looking, skinny, had very minimal friends, and had no sense of humor. I had terrible grades, and blamed my misery on anything but myself.

Well, one day, I snapped. I was sick of living like this. Thus, I started seeking out and eliminating all the things I did not like about myself.

Physical

Are you repulsing to look at? Hit the gym. One of the things I learned, is if you have a well-built body, you will receive more respect from people and generally have more confidence.

Get a tan. Now is certainly not the time to do this since it's winter, but getting a tan will make you look more attractive.

Start running. Unless you are trying to get buff, start running daily. It will increase stamina and make you healthier.

Buy some new clothes. I am not saying that you should buy pants/shirts for 120 dollars. There are plenty of stores that sell nice clothes for cheap prices. Research things, find out styles that you like, ect.

Walk straight. Look up, smile, and dont slouch. It is good for your back, and automatically gives you more confidence. Look people in the eye.

Improve your voice. Learning how to sing is a great way to do this. It will make your voice sound deep and mysterious. Also, do not be afraid to speak up.

Social

Be friendly to people. Smile. Dont be afraid to talk to people.

At school, talk to everyone. Be friendly to people of all grade levels, and do not judge people by their "social status", which does exist.

Invite people to hang out with you on weekends after you get to know them better. Ask people if they need help, but do not allow yourself to be used.

Do not limit yourself to just one group of friends; meet different kinds of people.

Also, joining clubs and being involved in activities is a great way to have fun and make friends.

Mental:

This is probably the most important, and the toughest one of all.

Now hear this: stop believing everything people tell you. ALWAYS, AND I MEAN ALWAYS, JUDGE BY ACTIONS RATHER THAN WORDS.

Stop believing everything the media and society tells you. Question everything. Do not believe in rumors.

Stop making excuses. If you did not do your homework, DO NOT tell your teacher that your dog's brother's poolboy stole it. Be man enough and admit it. Same goes with everything. Be responsible for your actions, and be ready to pay the consequences.

Ultimately, you are responsible for your life. If it sucks, do something about it.

Act upon logic rather than emotion. "...but I dont feel like it!" -WRONG! You are too lazy!

Stand up for yourself. If someone disrespects you, do something about it.

Learn to have a sense of humor. Watch comedy shows, and hang out with people who are naturally funny.

Do not dwell on past mistakes. Learn from them, and move on.

Take risks in life. Do something crazy, something different every day. (I dont mean stupid stuff, lol).

Find a passion in life. Find hobbies.

Also an important thing: Stop looking for people to make your life better. "the right girl" or "the right guy" are myths. There are thousands of people you can have a great relationship with.

Do not try to fit in. Learn to be your own person, with your own ideas. Do not ever give up on your morals.

DO NOT settle down. Always look for improvement.

When you are defeated, suck it up, learn from your mistakes and move on.

If you are improving yourself, people WILL notice and get jealous. They will also treat you differently.

The whole "I wish they could see me for who I really am" is bogus. Get out there and make things happen.

Stop thinking that the world owes you something.

Final notes: It takes dedication to improve your life. At first, these things might not seem natural, but if you keep doing them, they will be a part of a new, better you.

Good luck.

Great advice. People, listen to him! Also:

Physical - be comfortable with your appearance no matter how you look. Improve your body because you want to be healthier, not because you want to look better or be more attractive. In the end, it's who you are that matters and will give you respect.

Also an important thing: Stop looking for people to make your life better. "the right girl" or "the right guy" are myths. There are thousands of people you can have a great relationship with.

Probably the best point on here. However, I don't think there are thousands of people out there who could be very compatible with you but there is definitely more than one for everyone.

I would like to add on to the mental section:

- Do not consider yourself a victim in any way. Realize how great of a person you are. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind and not worth your time.

Excellent post.

Now hear this: stop believing everything people tell you. ALWAYS, AND I MEAN ALWAYS, JUDGE BY ACTIONS RATHER THAN WORDS.

All the points in this post were very helpful and based on my experiences, dead on. However, I urge everyone to pay even closer attention to the one above. If you do this, you will be able to more accurately judge a person's true amount - or lack of - character.

Gosh, Skyfire - I wish I'd known all this when I was a teenager!

• 11 months later...

I've heard this stuff over and over. To reach full identity achievement you need, according to psychologists: Searching (Trying different things and keeping an open mind as well as knowing when to move on) and commitement (Standing strong in your beliefs regardless of what others say after you have searched, and practicing or utilizing those ideas.)

2. You need to know where you stand thouroughly with: Ploitics, Religion, and your career choice