My dog likes to jump on dog-haters...

adviseseeker

I never said I wasn't in the wrong for having her off leash. This is why I rarely go on here because everyone twists your words and makes assumptions about you. How would you know what my attitude is/was? I never blamed the guy in anything I said, I said he was a jerk about the situation. I never said that leash laws don't apply to me. I'm not 'in denial' or blaming the victim. I know that some people are afraid of dogs or don't want dogs jumping on them, this has never happened to me before. It was an unfortunate situation and embarrassing enough as it was having her not listen to me (which can happen to anyone with a well trained dog, they can do unpredictable things sometimes), then to have someone swear at me, then to have a bunch of people on the internet judge me for having her off leash for 5 minutes in an area where no people were at the time. And no I didn't want to apologize to someone who just sweared at me and walked away while I was trying to fix the situation, he seemed like he was the kind of guy that would blow up if I said anything to him.

Some people made some good points about leash laws and lawsuits, which I am taking to mind. But apparently I can't get a word in edgewise without being on my computer 24/7 which somehow means for some that I have a bad attitude. Then there are people who are just judgemental no matter what someone posts. It's supposed to be a website to vent about things and if advice is asked for, to receive constructive criticism not insults. And no, I'm not saying that there wasn't any constructive criticism, cause I'm sure someone will try and twist that sentence.

I've had many people say things on here that hurt...because they were telling me things that I didn't want to hear.

It sucks.

I've also received tons of support when I needed it from the people on here. I find that happens more often than the negative.

Usually when people are "being jerks" on here...it's because I'm sensitive about something...because I'm handling someone wrong, and I know it but don't want to admit it. It's easier to feel like I'm being picked on, rather than accept and take responsibility when I've screwed up. Usually after, I can see that people are telling me things, not to be jerkfaces, but to give me a different perspective. It's hard to hear criticism.

I'm sorry that you always feel attacked on here.

Are there any lessons in these repeated experiences other than "everyone else is out to get me?"

Not wanting to pet a dog does not make someone a dog hater.

Not being overjoyed at being dirtied by an animal that is not yours and is not being controlled by it's owner is not a crime, or even being particularly rude.

Letting your dog run off it's lead when you know it will jump at strangers is being an irresponsible owner. It only takes one tooth on one child and your dog is being put to sleep.

I am coming from being a vet tech for 6 years...do you know what happens to a dog if they bite someone and say the police get involved.. even by accident

alot of times they will go to an animal hospital or shelter and will be locked away for about 30 days if not longer(depending ont he outcome)...its no joke nowadays with people being sue crazy and law suit crazy..thats why i never let any stranger just randomly walk up to my dog or let my dog off the leash...

Your dog also jumps on friends and family. Which points again to your dog not being properly trained. Training is teaching your dog behaviors that will keep him safe....not jumping out of a car, not jumping on people, STAY or WAIT.

Tricks are shaking hands, sit, lie down

adviseseeker, I'm sorry this thread has only made you angrier. You are right, we've focused on you, and not him. We all need to vent sometimes, and if venting without commentary or advice is what you are seeking, you might prefer the Solo Journal section. I mean that in all sincerity. People can read entries there but not post comments or replies. This thread is posted in the Pets section, your screen name is "adviseseeker", and you didn't make it clear in the original post that you were only here to vent about the guy, and were not seeking advice, suggestions, or opinions, so people reading just responded as people do, with their thoughts based on their experience or observations and their suggestions.

>>a bunch of people on the internet judge me for having her off leash for 5 minutes in an area where no people were at the time.

I had a dog years ago where my ex-husband let her off leash for 'just a minute' when no one was around and she ran round the corner and a much smaller dog leaped on her and a dogfight ensured. My dog bit the other dog in the chest during the fight, and a sucking chest wound/pneumothorax ensued. My dog didn't start the fight, but in defending herself bit the other dog in just the wrong place to cause a dangerous and life threatening wound. I then spent the rest of the day in the dog hospital with the women whose dog my dog bit, and had to pay a $1000 vet bill and was darned lucky she didn't report my dog to animal control because her dog started the fight. I had to pay because my dog was the one who did the injury and it would have been absolutely horrific if this lady's dog had died from both her dog and mine being off leash for 'just a minute' (which she almost did).

So 'off leash for just a minute' can turn into a tragedy with some other person or dog injuring your dog, or your dog injuring another dog, or a person or child, or running off in front of a car or just running off and out of reach for you to stop them, which dogs like beagles are prone to do if they smell the trail of something really interesting.

I had another case where my dog was on the leash, and a supposedly 'friendly' labrador retriever not on a leash ran up to her and a brief skirmish ensued where that dog split open my dog's eyelid in two and required a trip to the vet. I have a friend whose dogs had her ear ripped in half in a split second from another supposedly 'friendly' dog who behaved out of character and split the ear. I had another friend whose dog got taken away from her and euthanized by the county because her dog had a brief skirmish with another dog and bit it, and leapt on a couple people though didn't bite them, then got reported and the county ordered the dog put down because of multiple incidents of her 'not being in control of her dog'.

So it is not a question of being 'nice' or 'not nice' it is a case of both people and dogs can be unpredictable, and accidents happen, and there are laws to protect both dogs and people in place.

You say your sister is a vet, so i suggest you ask her how many cases she treats of dogs that have been run over from being off leash, or have injuries from being bitten by other dogs or biting other dogs, cats, or people. It is not a pretty picture.

I've had many people say things on here that hurt...because they were telling me things that I didn't want to hear.

It sucks.

I've also received tons of support when I needed it from the people on here. I find that happens more often than the negative.

Usually when people are "being jerks" on here...it's because I'm sensitive about something...because I'm handling someone wrong, and I know it but don't want to admit it. It's easier to feel like I'm being picked on, rather than accept and take responsibility when I've screwed up. Usually after, I can see that people are telling me things, not to be jerkfaces, but to give me a different perspective. It's hard to hear criticism.

I'm sorry that you always feel attacked on here.

Are there any lessons in these repeated experiences other than "everyone else is out to get me?"

I may be a little sensitive about the comments, and that's mainly because I tried to clarify afterward that it was a vent post but people still continued to be jerks about it. I had these experiences before on this forum a few years ago, and I think it's crazy to make assumptions about someone and to say things that are nasty when you don't know the whole situation. I'm all for people asking questions if they need more information to give their two cents. I have also been given some good advice on the site and took it to heart, but as for the comments that were nasty I would never pay too much attention to them because they always seem to be from specific users. But I also found that being on the site when I was trying to work through something difficult in my life actually set me back so I just stopped coming on here...

Not wanting to pet a dog does not make someone a dog hater.

Not being overjoyed at being dirtied by an animal that is not yours and is not being controlled by it's owner is not a crime, or even being particularly rude.

Letting your dog run off it's lead when you know it will jump at strangers is being an irresponsible owner. It only takes one tooth on one child and your dog is being put to sleep.

The title was supposed to be silly/ironic...

adviseseeker, I'm sorry this thread has only made you angrier. You are right, we've focused on you, and not him. We all need to vent sometimes, and if venting without commentary or advice is what you are seeking, you might prefer the Solo Journal section. I mean that in all sincerity. People can read entries there but not post comments or replies. This thread is posted in the Pets section, your screen name is "adviseseeker", and you didn't make it clear in the original post that you were only here to vent about the guy, and were not seeking advice, suggestions, or opinions, so people reading just responded as people do, with their thoughts based on their experience or observations and their suggestions.

Yes I had forgotten that my old username was adviseseeker...oops

Your dog also jumps on friends and family. Which points again to your dog not being properly trained. Training is teaching your dog behaviors that will keep him safe....not jumping out of a car, not jumping on people, STAY or WAIT.

Tricks are shaking hands, sit, lie down

You don't know how well my dog is trained...and doesn't seem like you want to know either. And yes I know the difference between tricks and commands.

No one is being a jerk or mean here; people are just trying to respond and give you some perspective on WHY the guy responded the way he did -- just to give you some food for thought and suggest that you do things differently next time because honestly, with dogs, things can go wrong in the blink of an eye, and people can get hurt, which can lead to lawsuits and, in some cases, a beloved pet being put down for being aggressive toward someone else. If I had known you didn't actually want advice/feedback, I wouldn't have spent the time I did crafting my response. It was meant to be helpful, as were all of the responses here. It's generally a good idea to say that you don't want any advice -- OR, as someone suggested, to post in the Journals section -- because otherwise, you will get advice/feedback.

Speaking of a dog who needs help with the 'jumping' and obedience issues:

]

This is absolutely nothing like my dog...I hope you weren't implying that. It's a funny video though, at 1.5 years my dog didn't behave this way but I'm sure the owners were having a fun time with such a huge dog to train. If they were actually trying to train him that is

My parents were TAKEN TO COURT AND SUED because our family collie jumped on a lady and scratched her. She signaled our dog to leap on her fence and as he was leaping, he scratched her. And she WON the lawsuit against my parents. She almost had our dog put down too by saying the scratch gave her a severe infection. This happened back in the Late 1980s and people still pull this S today when they see a person who can't control their dog.

My previous roommates had dogs that got loose and scratched and nipped a jogger. They went to court and had to have one of their dogs put down.

Wake up.People see dogs as cash cows.

Be a responsible pet owner, protect yourself and the dog, and keep your dog leashed. There really shouldn't be a grand, 5-page thread debate about this.

Archived