Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

[video=youtube_share;NJjAbs-3kc8] ]

Not that my son is a mega savant, but his memory has savant qualities the pyschologist said. And like Kim Peek he doesn't fit standard tests. His skills are varied and different. He said he's very very hard to peg as far as intelligence and cognitive skills. But that showed he a lot of ability in the memories skills in a certain capacity. His long-term memory is amazing. His working memory though is almost nonexistent.

Like Kim he has a hard time with following directions and being redirected. But obviously is nowhere near as disabled.

Next week I'm heading back to the support group for parents with children with disabilities. I haven't gone in months and months. I stopped going because this one woman was just seething with resentment that other parents weren't having her same difficulties. I'm sorry but we have our own difficulties. And she got particularly pissy with me because my son was almost done with the school system and because he " only has Aspergers" so I don't know anything about her struggles and why would I even be there for support anyway.

Ummmmmmmmm

Yeah.

Now parents beat up on other parents to see who's child is most disabled? I think you lost the concept of the group lady. And guess what? Aspergers doesn't go away the day you graduate from high school there dingdong.

Everything is unknown when your child has a disability. Sometimes even getting through the day is something you can't conceptualize. The future is always very very unknown. The processes are confusing. You don't know who to trust. You constantly have to check to see if somebody did their job. Families ,friends ,neighbours and strangers don't understand so you become isolated. Professionals think they know better than you about YOUR child. Services are hard to navigate if they exist at all and governments are cold to your plight. People publicly and secretly blame you and you learn to blame yourself.

After 18 years all I can say is do your best every day. You don't have to get to the end goal today ,tomorrow ,next year or even the year after. Be patient and keep going. The end goal may be a long way off but it doesn't mean you're never going to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

About 100 times a day I remind him to brush his teeth. Then stand there and watch him brush his teeth so it's right. He hates the toothbrush so much and he doesn't do a enough job so his teeth have been decalcifying for a few years. And he has fluorosis from swallowing toothpaste as a kid.

And he's of the mind that people don't need a daily bath. ( not that he is smelly) His hair gets greasy though without a daily bath. He just sees nothing wrong with that. He is just totally accepting whether you are greasy ,smelly ,dirty ,whatever doesn't matter to him. He seems almost completely judgmentless about people and he thinks they should do the same for him. I keep trying to tell him no, people on the whole are not judgmentless. And he can't seem to comprehend why they would be judgmentmental.

I also still can't get through to him that people do not wear the same clothes every day. He would wear the same pants and the same shirt until hell froze over. There is no concept there that he should change them.

Most 18-year-olds understand the concept of hygiene and change your clothes. I know he is not typical but that is a microcosm of my morning and my evening every single day.

I've found a way to brush M's teeth. I lay him on my lap on his back and hang him upside and bounce him. Don't think that would work for your 18 year old, LOL.

I personally detest manual toothbrushes. I cannot stand the way they feel in my mouth, it makes my skin crawl. Just thinking about it makes me grind my teeth. I use an electric so no part of the toothbrush other than the bristles touch my teeth. Does the vibration bug R? M needs the vibe toothbrush.