Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

God bureaucracy moves so slow! I got a call from my son's disability worker saying that when they receive the letter from the ministry they would have us in for an appointment. She said that she told the records clerk to let her know right away. RIGHT. This was two days ago so if the ministry sent out the letters at the same time they have their letter.

Over the course of the school years my son had 5 special ed resource teachers. Four for gradeschool and one for high school. I can remember the very first one. She was mean. She didn't like him ,she didn't like me. She treated him with total distain and me she just told...." Lady, your kid is a pain in the ass please stop babying him. And furthermore we are not educating him unless he's medicated. " and then she resented having to medicate him at lunchtime. For a while she would haul me in to give him his medication at lunch. I worked full-time hours and had to come in from another city just to give him his medication because they refused to. And why did they refuse to give him his medication? Because he can't swallow medication. Actually to this day he can't swallow medication if he needs to take a pill he just rams it down his throat with his finger. So when he was small I had the idea of putting his Ritalin in chocolate pudding. She really resented having to give him his Ritalin every lunch hour.

God I couldn't stand that woman.

yeah, it's not cool that she take things out on you or your son. I know it must be very difficult to be a special ed teacher. She should find a new way to vent. I'm really happy to hear that your son is doing well now in terms of school, getting his future set up, etc...

We just narrowly averted disaster today. He called me all in a big panic. He said one of his professors said he was failing and then he said he was going to quit college that he was never going again. So I drove down to the college in a panic and I talked to the professor . The professor said he does excellent work but he had not handed it in. Apparently he gets confused with how to transfer electronically to the professor. So the professor even told him he would sit with him and transfer it into a file and then send. Then my son was jumping up-and-down screaming throwing stuff around the room. I got him calmed down enough which took an hour and then he could work with the professor. The professor said my son is perfectionistic and is extremely hard on himself. But extremely good work.

I sat with my son in the cafeteria and talked to him about anxiety and the fact that college is very unstructured and he's come from a very structured atmosphere to a very unstructured and how difficult it is. And the fact that the animation dept is very out of the box and unstructured and that could be causing anxiety. I told him I would set up counselling for him if he was willing and they could work with his OCD and anxiety.

Temple Grandin Is Asking Autism Parents to Do This Important Thing for Their Kids

Melissa McGlensey Dec 15, 2015

Dr. Temple Grandin, Best-selling author, autism advocate and animal science professor, is asking parents of children with autism to do one simple thing — push their kids.

Grandin says pushing children with autism may be the key to their future success. In her new book, “The Loving Push,” Grandin and co-author Dr. Debra Moore offer a roadmap to caregivers on how to prepare youth with autism for being adults in today’s world.

The book includes the stories of eight people on the autism spectrum and chapters on subjects like how to get kids off their computers and how to build on their strengths. The key, Grandin says, is to push them to do things for themselves and to do things that may at first seem scary. While this may be difficult for caregivers, it is ultimately the best way to find safe and fulfilling avenues of interest for their children.

“You have to stretch these children just outside the comfort zone,” Dr. Grandin tells Fox 5 News in the video below. “You stretch just enough so they develop, but don’t go into meltdowns and problems.”

"Autism is a way of being. It is not possible to separate the person from the autism. Therefore, when parents say, I wish my child did not have autism, what they're really saying is, I wish the autistic child I have did not exist, and I had a different (non-autistic) child instead. Read that again. This is what we hear when you mourn over our existence. This is what we hear when you pray for a cure. This is what we know, when you tell us of your fondest hopes and dreams for us: that your greatest wish is that one day we will cease to be, and strangers you can love will move in behind our faces."

- excerpt from Jim Sinclair's "Don't Mourn For Us", 1993

Read the Full Essay: "Don't Mourn for Us" by Jim Sinclair