What to do when your SO's friend's grandpa passes and the funeral is mentioned..

RoxyGril

Well, my bf's best friend (from high school), grandpa passed away yesterday. I have met the grandpa 1 time which was on 4th of July this year. I have a family gathering this coming Sunday (on my dad's side). Which I have known about this for about a week and 1/2 now and have decided to go. Today my bf calls me and tells me the funeral is the same day on Sunday. He is going and wanted to let me know and make the decision, on going to the funeral or my family get together. My bf said he won't be mad on whatever my decision would be. Now I am conflicted on what to do. Do I go in support of my bf's friend or do I go with the plans that I have originally made? I don't want to come off selfish or disrespectful. Advice would be helpful...

It's the grampa of your bf's friend? You have only met him once?

I don't think you really need to make this a priority, as your BF is going, right? I would send a card and go to what you had planned already.

It'd be different I think if it was your Bf's grandpa and you two had been together for a while, then i'd attend that one, if asked to accompany him.

Yes, he is the grandpa of my bf's friend and met him once. My bf is going in support of his friend and I believe he may have met him before on a few occasions.

That's what I was thinking in regards to being more of my bf's family and same in return for mine as well. spoke with my dad and he thought that if it was the dad or the mom (whom I know pretty well of the friend) then there would be a reason to go. But, if it was more extend family, then to give condolences. I just feel like I am being rude in a way for not going. Do I need to feel guilty about it? Is there a right or wrong if I don't go to this funeral?

As long as your BF going to the funeral instead of your family gathering is not an issue, then you have no issue. Go see your family. Look up the funeral on the home's web site to see if the family lists a charity. If so, make a donation and send the family a sympathy card. If no charity is listed, send flowers or a food delivery.

It's the grampa of your bf's friend? You have only met him once?

I don't think you really need to make this a priority, as your BF is going, right? I would send a card and go to what you had planned already.

It'd be different I think if it was your Bf's grandpa and you two had been together for a while, then i'd attend that one, if asked to accompany him.

I assumed your bf needed you there for support. If not then go to your family gathering and make a donation or send a card.

Archived