Stomach cancer?

My mom called me today and told me about how she had a scope done because she had been having pain in her stomach area for several months. Actually dating back to about a year ago, off and on. Well the tests showed two black masses that she described as looking like banana peels. The doctor wouldn't tell her anything, but he did say that they are not ulcers. Then he started asking her questions about what she would do as far as final decisions and stuff like that. The biopsy is still being done and she probably won't know the results until tomorrow or Friday. I'm kind of freaking out because I don't know what else it could be besides cancer, but I thought that stomach cancer was actually kind of rare. I don't know.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or comfort? I hate when things like this happens. I hate the waiting and the not knowing.

I'm so sorry Sly, I actually went through the same thing with my father 3 years ago and I was actually there when the doctor asked if his "financial affairs were in order." My Dad was so oblivious that he answered the question as if the doctor asked what he did for a living. It is a very, very, tough thing to go through. I will pray for your Mom and hope she gets better.

Now is a time you may find peace in doing something spiritual.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Keep in mind that while it is a mass showing up on the scans it may very well not be a malignant tumor. Many tumors and swellings are not malignant--i.e. a cancer that is growing, but rather are caused by other things. I've been through something like this several times in my life, both with myself during a routine mammogram that turned up a shadow that the doctor thought might be a tumor and with family members. The waiting and not knowing is the worst of course, because in the absence of information you mind will try to fill the void. And usually not in a good way. In my case the shadow was simply a non-malignant lump and it all turned out okay. My friend thought she had cancer and it turned out to be a non-malignant tumor that had grown on her ovaries. Still dangerous, but not full-on cancer and they successfully removed it and she's been fine ever since. And yes, I did have an uncle who had stomach cancer and in his case it was a malignant tumor. So I've sort of stood on all sides of the panic and emotion that comes from the doctors telling you "we found something."

Try to keep in mind that no one at this stage of the game knows what that "something" is yet. This is where if you practice any form of yoga or meditation that can help. If you're spiritual in nature, if you have close friends who can comfort you or make you smile, anything to bring light into your life now is the time to reach for it while you wait. Try to do the same for your mom.

The thing I found that also helped is to arm yourself with information. Go do research on what stomach masses found in scans could be, what treatment options are, etc. Look at the very worst to the very best scenarios. And realize the doctor is being a bit of a d*** in that he wouldn't tell your mom anything, but then turns around and asks her about final decisions. Thanks doc. So gather information, but try to remember until they say it's cancer it may still not be cancer.

Beyond that I wish you both the very best and my sympathies. I've been there, it's rough I know. All I can say is to gather as much comfort to you both for now as you can. Hugs

Archived