I REALLY want to quit smoking.

I started smoking cigars (black and milds mostly) when I was 14. Mostly because I went through the rebellious pot smoking phase and it felt nice to light up a cigar after I smoked.

Slowly through the years it's transitioned to me smoking cigarettes. I started out socially smoking them, at parties and what not, and now in the blink of an eye I'm suddenly a pack a day smoker.

I hate it. I'm not one of those people who enjoys smoking and doesn't want to quit, I honestly want to.

I hate the smell. It's unattractive and I feel gross smoking around my boyfriend who doesn't smoke. That's honestly the main reason I want to quit - the smell sticks to my clothes and makes my breath stink. Not one of the most honorable reasons, but it's a reason to quit none the less.

The health effects are starting to show up as well. I'd say I've been actively smoking for about two years now, maybe two and half. I get out of breath easy. I can't run like I used to without my lungs burning. I'm only 20!!!

I don't want to end up like my mom. She's been smoking for 20+ years and you can see the effects on her. She's only 45, but looks about 55-60 because of all the wrinkles on her skin. I don't want that.

But I just can't seem to STOP! It's like I have no willpower over it. I've tried stopping cold turkey, tried the patch, tried slowing down. I always end up smoking again.

It's also hard because a lot of my friends smoke. Actually, nearly all my friends smoke besides a select few.

I also am at risk for asthma because of my birth mom. It runs heavily on her side of the family.

I hate this and want to quit. I don't know what to do. No methods have worked so far.

If any past smokers could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Over 30 years ago, I went from smoking 35 cigs/day to nothing - overnight. Cold turkey. It was hell, and I kept a diary - so that if I felt tempted to have a cigarette, I could look at all this hell I'd been through and think "If I start smoking again, all that will have been for nothing".

Also - this is crucial - I really, really stepped up the amount of physical exercise I was doing. It took away all the stress of not smoking, and when you do quit, you feel the health benefits very, very quickly. I'll never forget that feeling of walking down the street, seeing that my train had pulled into the station, doing a quick sprint - and catching it! That would have been unthinkable only a month previously.

Use the fact that all your friends smoke as a challenge. I was working in a design studio where I was the only one not smoking, and it made me even more determined. I also changed all my habits associated with smoking; I used to come home and have a cup of coffee and a cigarette. So I stopped having coffee when I got home, and had something else instead. You do need to be VERY determined, though. And take it one day at a time; it's much easier to decide that you're not going to smoke that day, and stick to it, than think that you'll never smoke again. Once you experience the health benefits, improved wellbeing, much more ready cash and realise quite how much smokers SMELL, it gets easier with time. The first three weeks are the worst and it gets better after that.

Like you, I wasn't particularly interested in cigarettes. I got hooked on the tobacco associated with, er, more exotic substances. Much is made of cannabis leading on to harder drugs - but I'll bet it leads more people on to tobacco!

Good luck!

P.S. That was November 1983. I haven't had a cigarette from that day to this.

Have you tried switching over to vaping?? Get one of those vapor pens found at smoke shops. Get the ones that are pure vapor, no nicotine or chemicals of any kind. You will be "smoking" water vapor essentially. Switching over to those electronic vapor pens provides you with the aesthetics of smoking without the health risks. Doing this will help you steer away from real cigs and you can work on quitting entirely. They come in sweet flavors so no stinky smoke smell on your breath, clothes or boyfriend, lol

Another vote for getting an e-cig to wean yourself off while still giving you that "smoking" sensation.

I am not a smoker but nothing could deter people from smoking like visiting a pulmonary unit in a hospital. 99% of those patients were smokers or did things to their lungs and now are in really bad shape. Most have trach holes in their necks and require suctioning, which is when a nurse sticks a tube down there to suck out crap. It's painful for them and makes them gag. Oh, but they can't eat.

That could be your future if you don't stop. Medical risks are really the one thing that motivates me to change my habits for the better.

I started smoking the same way - I was 21 (fool! and after having not becoming a smoker in a smoking household and surrounded by smoking friends all through high school) and started smoking pot, and my friends smoked cigarettes and said it increased the high. And I started. And I got hooked something nasty.

And I stopped the same way as Vic and nutbrownhare. And it was not fun. But it is a huge accomplishment. That you will never regret.

One thing that really helped me was talking about it as it was happening. I remember crying a lot, and I would tell myself (it helps to have mottos that really mean something to you to say to yourself when it sucks really really bad) that I could do anything I wanted ANYTHING except smoke. For some reason, that helped a lot. My first week I ordered fried chicken - and I never allow myself fried chicken, unless it's a huge reward for something. Whatever works for you though. The point is ; to feel like you are treating yourself by quitting, instead of it constantly feeling like you are suffering by not having it. It's gettting over that mentality ; that to go without the addiction is to suffer. Because it's not true. Living with the addiction is the suffering! But you have to prove this to yourself over time.

So - exercise, keeping a quitting diary, rewarding yourself. I think I might give cold turkey a try one more time and keep coming back here as an update. Maybe buy a vape too, once I can get some money for one.

I only have five cigarettes left I my pack... I'm very much considering giving it my all this time and trying again.

Another vote for getting an e-cig to wean yourself off while still giving you that "smoking" sensation.

I am not a smoker but nothing could deter people from smoking like visiting a pulmonary unit in a hospital. 99% of those patients were smokers or did things to their lungs and now are in really bad shape. Most have trach holes in their necks and require suctioning, which is when a nurse sticks a tube down there to suck out crap. It's painful for them and makes them gag. Oh, but they can't eat.

That could be your future if you don't stop. Medical risks are really the one thing that motivates me to change my habits for the better.

Yeah... I've had many family members have health issues from smoking. My mom ends up in the hospital at least once a year from lung related illnesses. My grandfather lost his nose from it. And then died a very slow painful death...

All the more reason to quit. I don't want to end up like them.

Yeah no one deserves to go out like that. too painful and too much suffering. And what are you getting for it? A small nicotine fix from an expensive habit? You deserve better...

You can do this! I know you can!!

Thank you... I will try. I figure it's better to try now than 20 years down the road. The amount of times I've tried to quit and failed is discouraging though. (Like five times this past year)

They sell those cheap $8 vape pens. Also, recorded those horror commercials of people who smoked for years then when through all kinds of problems with surgeries, amputations and cancer. Terrie sticks out in my mind if you've seen that commercial.

Yeah... And the new ones where they gone in to buy a pack. The cashier says "that's not enough" and they rip off a piece of there skin. Pretty graphic but it makes a point.

When I smoked, I could not imagine ever stopping. Smoked a pack a day. Quit and now I cannot imagine what I ever saw in it. I never thought I would say that, but never say never. I just went cold turkey. Got tired of being a slave to a habit and it is a very expensive habit also. Good luck to you. chi

A friend I've known for +10 years and who was a constant smoker, tried everything, eventually tried an Allen Carr Easyway seminar, and stopped overnight.

(I'm not associated with Allen Carr's organisation at all BTW).

I was just amazed that someone who'd struggled with trying to give up several times, found something that clearly struck a chord and enabled him to stop straighaway, pretty easily and with no regrets etc.

Good luck!

A friend I've known for +10 years and who was a constant smoker, tried everything, eventually tried an Allen Carr Easyway seminar, and stopped overnight.

(I'm not associated with Allen Carr's organisation at all BTW).

I was just amazed that someone who'd struggled with trying to give up several times, found something that clearly struck a chord and enabled him to stop straighaway, pretty easily and with no regrets etc.

Good luck!

Was is it a free seminar?...

When I smoked, I could not imagine ever stopping. Smoked a pack a day. Quit and now I cannot imagine what I ever saw in it. I never thought I would say that, but never say never. I just went cold turkey. Got tired of being a slave to a habit and it is a very expensive habit also. Good luck to you. chi

Thank you! The money saved would be a bonus as well... Maybe I could let myself buy something worth 5$ as a reward each day for the first few weeks... That's how much I spend on cigarettes a day sooo.

I was smoking about 30 cigarettes a day when I quit cold turkey back in December 2011.

I had tried quitting many times before with no luck. What made me successful this time was basically changing my entire lifestyle. I started exercising, hard. The same day I quit smoking, I also quit coffee and alcohol. I changed my diet dramatically. Most people tend to crave that after-meal cigarette when they eat fatty or greasy foods. i.e., a cigarette hits the spot after a pizza or a burger; not after a celery stick or a salad. So I ate mostly vegetables and super lean foods. I also quit socializing with my friends for about six months (although I still talked to them on the phone, email, etc).

It may seem like a lot to give up and change all at once, but that was the only way quitting worked for me. I had to remove every single trigger, because willpower alone wasn't enough. Now though, it's fine - I can be around any of my previous triggers and none of them affect me anymore.

Good luck!

If it helps, post on here for every day you manage to go without a cigarette!

That's what I'm going to do. Just went and bought an e cig from the corner store! Three cigs left in my pack. Might just chain smoke them as a final goodbye.

Was is it a free seminar?...

Nope - there were costs

He bought a book from Amazon about it - so £10 (approx $16 USD)

The Seminar he attended in the UK cost approx £200 for the day (so approx $320 USD)

so - approx $300-350 USD was the cost. Perhaps that seems expensive...

However, he's not bothered about cigarettes anymore, and isn't using patches, lozenges etc. He hasn't been tempted back to smoking also. He just seems to have totally lost "the want" to smoke.

I've never been a smoker, so I can't fully empathise with smokers.

I am just amazed at how easily someone who I honestly believed would always be a smoker, has found something that enables him to just suddenly deal with becoming a non-smoker really easily.

Archived