video games after breakup

I always find video games to be a huge distraction from life in general. Makes sense that it would be a nice break from the break-up feelings. I find I generally feel pretty guilty whenever I play a game...so I think with the break-up scenario I'd kind of cut myself a bit of slack with those sorts of things...almost like when I've got the flu or something. It's nice to have a bit of an escape sometimes. Just so long as there's a bit of awareness about the underlying feelings.

Has anyone tried this? Play a lot of video games after breakup, I find that RPG games really help keep me distracted.

Not saying that this is what I do all the time, still hang out with friends, family, work, exercise, and go to the steam room.

LOL RPGs were my life growing up. I don't get a chance to indulge as much as I used to...but I cut my teeth on Final Fantasy (before they started to suck after FFX), Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Age...the list goes on hehe.

From my experience, I used interactive online gaming to distract me twice from a breakup. Mind you, I'm not a big gaming person but I usually play just because I enjoy socializing with old friends.

So my first time I broke up with an ex, I played this online game and I was so distracted that I totally forgot about him and us even when I stopped playing. Second time, I was dating a guy but broke off with him because we both were afraid of commitment and to help me stay distracted, I started gaming again. When I stopped playing, I would miss him and there were times I didn't want to play and just think about him. So i think it depends how much you like someone... i didn't put the second guy on a pedestral or anything- it was just how he treated me that I like.

Yup, love RPG's. Much more entertaining than sitting watching TV. As someone else pointed out, whatever you enjoy that makes you feel better do it. It's not really any different than any other hobby, so long as you don't get addicted to the gaming and let it take over your life completely. All in moderation...lol

I have a friend who is addicted to WOW. Im not a gamer....but I have other 'diversions'...music, this site, working out, wine.. Lol.. Bike riding, for hours, none of which are destructive...but I think anything can become too much if it consumes you.

Yes, that's one of the reasons gaming has such a bad rap. Addiction to it can be a very real thing, and as detrimental to your overall quality of life as any other addiction.

Just keep yourself aware and keep a realistic view of what you are doing, as you would with any activity. If you find yourself starting to make excuses for your behavior relating to gaming... you might have an issue.

Has anyone tried this? Play a lot of video games after breakup, I find that RPG games really help keep me distracted.

Not saying that this is what I do all the time, still hang out with friends, family, work, exercise, and go to the steam room.

It helps like suppressing memories helps. You can break the pain down to chunks you can handle. But the problem them becomes that all this time gets wasted trying to run away. And once you stop playing, I'd say about 95% of the pain is still there. It shifts what you should've felt before to a later date. The pluses of this is that perhaps by then you've forgotten some things that made you feel so strongly about the person. The negative is that the other person may have already moved on, and you're just realizing that things could've been reconciled.

Overall I would recommend not playing video games to cut down the pain. Feel it, and deal with it so that you can move on faster and waste less time. A better option is to come up with ideas and see how things could've worked out and seeing if that's still possible. Also, really trying to listen to what the other person said in the past and seeing if making those changes is possible.

Dealing with it helps a lot more because you come to a conclusion as to whether it would've worked or not, and if it could've, at least you tried your best to make it happen, the other person wasn't willing. So you get to move on and not have to worry about this anymore.

Archived