Help me lose a few lbs … Healthy recipes ideas?

Tanzi

As can happen when we get too "comfortable", I put on a few extra pounds during my last relationship. That relationship ended almost a year ago now but I have been having a hard time kickstarting a diet.

Before we know it summer will soon be upon us and I want to feel a damn site better than I did last year. Last summer I was still very much in contact with my ex and the break-up was still raw. Summer came and went without me even realising it. I was emotionally exhausted, washed out and, well, I couldn't really careless what I looked liked.

A lot has happened in the last year, especially in the last 6 months. My quality of life has changed for the better and I am thoroughly looking forward to being single this summer. My break-up does still haunt me and I can still have my down days but I am intent on making the best of where I am. I am single and I am happy (mostly). Last night I was out with friends - all single - and we toasted to our "single summer". The only thing is, I am not completely happy with the skin I am in at this moment in time.

I am looking for inspiration and I would love to know what healthy eating plans, or specific diet "fads" worked for you. As well as exercise routines. I would love for you to share your experiences with me and maybe even a healthy recipe or two.

One of my goals is to learn to cook and eat healthy foods *at home*. Not necessarily count calories or lose "x" amount of weight..but just make sure I'm not eating out as much and getting into a habit of cooking and learning to cook. I found link removed which has been a Godsend and given me lots of healthy recipes to pick from that have all been pretty easy so far.

I'm gonna try and drop about 10-15lbs myself between now and summer and would totally love a buddy...PM me if you'd like to get in touch and maybe motivate, share stories, recipes, etc. Would be fun to have a pal!!

What is working for me is: 1) kettle bells and DVDs on how to use them. It tones you up fast and I find I'm getting better results with it than anything else I've done to date. 2) Healthy recipes, it's more that I've cut out white flour from my diet altogether. I use brown rice now in pasta or by itself, Ezekiel bread and I got a Julienne peeler to make thinly sliced carrots and zucchini or summer squash or sweet potatoes that I then steam them and eat with spaghetti sauce rather than white noodles. I also sneak in veggies in the form of green shakes--kale, spinach, bananas and other fruit and blend with protein powder.

For me I had to acknowledge that I'm just not good at eating salads, so I had to learn to make things easier to access and make them part of my main meals--so green smoothies for breakfast, steamed veggies cut into thin strips to use in place of pasta recipes and in casseroles and I'm good to go. It's working on helping me lose weight and firm up.

I go vegetarian for a week sometimes. That seems to help my digestion and helps me lose a few pounds. But when I say "vegetarian", I mean that I eat a lot of vegetables, not a lot of pasta, potatoes, etc. I eat raw vegs for one meal a day, and no pasta, bread, potatoes, tortillas, chips, any of that type of carb after lunchtime. Soup or tofu with sauteed vegs for dinner. Usually a protein bar or cereal for breakfast, with juice. Lots of water. This works for me because I love vegetables though! If you don't like them, it would be really hard to stick to.

Another thing I've tried that worked: eat five times a day, each time no more than 300 calories, and make sure the first meal of the day is within one hour of waking up. Combine this with twenty minutes of exercise five times a week and I bet you anything you'd lose weight, and it's easy to stick to.

What type of food do you like to cook at home? You can usually adapt just about anything to be less fattening. For starters, try subbing all white bread, pasta, tortillas and the like for brown rice, quinoa, and whole-wheat pasta (but keep it down to once a day on those!) Steel-cut oats or quinoa are great for breakfast, you can eat them savory-style with mushrooms, leeks, parmesan, tomatoes and dill, scrambled egg, etc. If you aren't lactose-intolerant, dairy can help fill you up for snacks - cottage cheese, greek nonfat yogurt, glass of milk. Instead of white potatoes, eat sweet potatoes. Instead of beef, eat lean pork or chicken or fish.

Eat 6 small meals accross the day, not 3 big meals. I'm currently on this diet link removed Just starting it tomorrow actually mainly for the reasons that I feel tired because of my awful eating habits. Eliminate coffee and tea too.

Coffee, and tea especially, can beneficial to weight loss. It's all the crap that people put in their drinks that causes weight gain.

I fill up on veggies - make the veggie portions large, and get creative. I also make sure to eat a decent portion of veggies before any meat or cereal type course, so I'm starting out not feeling all that hungry. So I'll have, for example, 1/2 wrap (below) with around 3 oz of baby carrots and some sauteed squash on the side - and eat the carrots and squash first.

Like, I love love mushroom and swiss burgers. But, they're not exactly a healthy option. So I take a giant tortilla, nuke a gardenburger, cut it in half and lay it on the bottom of the tortilla. Lay in a thin slice of muenster cheese cut in half. And top it with a TON of sauteed seasoned mushrooms - and one more halved slice of muenster. I use about 12oz raw mushrooms, they cook down. Fold it up burrito style. Grill it (no oil needed) in the pan I used for the mushrooms on both sides, and cut in half. Each half is EASILY as filling as a burger, and has about eh, 200-300 calories, mostly not fat calories, and plenty of vitamin D, which tends to fall by the wayside when you cut back on milk.

I've mostly cut out dairy (there are other calcium sources) and try to do mainly veggie based meals, with some chicken and occasional lean beef, some shrimp, some salmon.

Mostly since I get bored with salad if I do it too much, it was figuring what I do like (broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, cauliflower, squash) and use different seasonings to spruce it up.

And figure out what the fattening or non-nutritious part of a favorite thing is, and eliminate that part. Like - Wendy's has a salad I like, but it has quite a large amount of crumbled bleu cheese on it. So I used the grilled chicken (about 1/2 breast), the greens (as much as I want), a tablespoon of the glazed pecans, about 3 tablespoons of dried cranberries, toss with a little of the pomegranate vinagrette instead of using a ton, and sprinkle on just a touch of parmesan. Still adds a cheese kick - without a ton of fat and calories.

Baby carrots, 1/2 apple sliced thin, small bunch of grapes, sliced cucumber, baby dill pickles - all good fillers. Don't let yourself get to the "Oh my lord, I could eat an elephant, raw and without salt," point. You end up eating faster than you think.

And don't feel bad if you can't finish and need to toss a few bites. That was hard for me, I was brought up you don't waste. But forcing that last few bites means you get too used to eating more than you really needed - the feeling of overfull feels normal. So stop when your body says "when."

I confess, tea is my last hurdle as far as "giving up" the unhealthy stuff. I've mostly given up sugar, white/processed grains and products, most packaged foods (except the veggie burgers), and most dairy. Tea, however... it's... *cries* I just have to have one glass of iced tea a day.

I agree with ParisPaulette - some exercise and veggie smoothies!

And cut out refined sugar and white flour.

No alcohol, and instead of drinking packaged juices (if you do) just eat fresh fruits.

As for the recipe.. try tuna salad!

You will need some

fresh ruccola or any other green leafy salad

tomatoes

cucumber

paprika

one boiled egg

one can of tuna in water/vegetable oil

for the dressing

half a lemon

a spoon of pumpkin seeds oil (amazing stuff!)

some herbs of your choice

I also love sprinkling some seeds or nuts on top. My favorite combination - flax seeds and some roasted pistachios.

As for the smoothies - try this!

fresh spinach

juice of one red grapefruit

cucumber

some beet root

and any frozen berries of your choice

Good luck!

Thank you all for your ideas, links and recipes. You've all given me much … umm …. food for thought!

I love salad and vegetables so you'd think dieting would easy… but, of course, I like my naughty foods too and, well, you can have too much salad!! Also I still have to cook hearty meals for my growing children and I tend to pick at their leftovers! They love rice and pasta but, unfortunately, they don't like wholemeal pasta's etc.

My vices are red wine, bread and pasta. So my plan is to cut out bread and wheat based foods, eat little but often and drink plenty of water (all have been mentioned on here). The kettle bells seem like a good way to exercise too.

Sav, thank you for the link you provided ….

One of my goals is to learn to cook and eat healthy foods *at home*. Not necessarily count calories or lose "x" amount of weight..but just make sure I'm not eating out as much and getting into a habit of cooking and learning to cook. I found link removed which has been a Godsend and given me lots of healthy recipes to pick from that have all been pretty easy so far.

I'm gonna try and drop about 10-15lbs myself between now and summer and would totally love a buddy...PM me if you'd like to get in touch and maybe motivate, share stories, recipes, etc. Would be fun to have a pal!!

I am going to try one of the recipes tonight.

A diet pal would be amazing. (I lost a lot of weight, prior to meeting my ex, by following a fruit flush diet that a member of eNA posted on here for others to join in and follow.) We can do it via PM'ing each other or on this thread if anyone else wants to share their journey.

The first step is to get on those scales!

One more tip: Each morning put together filtered water with the juice of one fresh lemon and 2 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger plus Stevia drops if you want it sweet. Keep it chilled and periodically throughout the day have a glass of this water and with meals, it helps keep you hydrated and the ginger is soothing to the stomach and helps with bloating. Sometimes I add cucumber and mint leaves as well, but most of the time I'm sort of lazy. I've started keeping this drink on hand and it helps in my temptation to consume soda, since my big weakness is coke and not drinking enough water. I'm never thirsty and that's not good, so I try and do something that reminds me every time I open the fridge to drink more water.

Coffee, and tea especially, can beneficial to weight loss. It's all the crap that people put in their drinks that causes weight gain.

I've found this to be true. Coffee and tea are fine for you in moderation. It's all the sugar/cream/crap that people put in them that make them not so healthy. I do use a creamer for my coffee but it is low calorie and very, very little sugar and I find I only need one serving. Stevia works well in tea, at least in my opinion, but I don't like it in coffee.

As for no stimulants, eh, I'm on a prescribed one that I take 2x a day. It's an anti-depressant. Not all stimulants are bad. My resting HR is about 65-70.

I eat a lot of lean proteins. A LOT. I do eat a fair amount of dairy but it's not sugary. Cutting out dairy may or may not help you. I know for me it's a good source of protein.

I like to make things with fresh rotisserie chicken. I de-bone and throw all of the skin away. I use white and dark meat but make sure to get rid of all the fat. I place the meat in a wide pan. Cook with a diced onion/pepper mix. Add in some green salsa. Cook it down a bunch. After I remove it from the heat, I add a bunch of low fat sour cream to it. Cools it down and makes it creamy without adding too many calories. I eat it as is but you may like to put into a low carb tortilla or something. Just an idea that is quick and easy.

Everything I make these days is pretty quick and easy. I just can't be bothered by making food as much.

Even more tips and links. Thank you all so much. I am thoroughly enjoying reading everyone's experiences, tips and the information provided by the links.

Exercise. It is important for me to exercise to but I am such a lazy so and so. I wish I had the time and resources to join a gym but I am on my own with 3 children and I rarely get a minute to myself. Plus I don't have a lot of money spare for such a luxury (or should that really be a necessity). I thought about taking up jogging. Ideally, though, I would like to do both toning and weight burning exercises but again time isn't of the essence, plus it would be nice to have a jogging buddy. I do have a couple of friends who, like me, play a lot of lip service to the idea of taking up jogging but I have yet to see them put on their jogging shoes … though, I can hardly talk!

If anyone has any more ideas on exercises I would really appreciate it. I don't have any kettlebells but I do have some dumbbells so I could start by looking out for some DVD's to follow. NO MORE PROSCRATINATING!!

One more tip: Each morning put together filtered water with the juice of one fresh lemon and 2 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger plus Stevia drops if you want it sweet. Keep it chilled and periodically throughout the day have a glass of this water and with meals, it helps keep you hydrated and the ginger is soothing to the stomach and helps with bloating.

Thanks for the tip. I am a typical Brit. I love my TEA (though I have definitely cut down on the amount I am drinking). However there was a time when I would start the day with a cup of hot water and a slice of lemon as not only is it a great way to detox it also aids the digestive system. I also read somewhere that sprinkling both lemon juice and lemon PEEL onto your food helps to balance out your body's sugar levels as fluctuating sugar levels can lead to cravings for sugary food.

I've found this to be true. Coffee and tea are fine for you in moderation. It's all the sugar/cream/crap that people put in them that make them not so healthy. I do use a creamer for my coffee but it is low calorie and very, very little sugar and I find I only need one serving. Stevia works well in tea, at least in my opinion, but I don't like it in coffee.

...I like to make things with fresh rotisserie chicken. I de-bone and throw all of the skin away. I use white and dark meat but make sure to get rid of all the fat. I place the meat in a wide pan. Cook with a diced onion/pepper mix. Add in some green salsa.

I hadn't heard of Stevia but I gathered it was a natural sweetener. I have used Fructose in the past but having just done some research I have found that Stevia IS available in the UK and that Fructose isn't as good as I thought it was! Not that I have a great deal of sugar in my tea anyway (half a tsp to be precise) or in my diet as a whole.

I actually had some steamed chicken last night (courtesy of lovely mum who bought me a "Go Chef" for my bday present!!) with some garlic, peppers and salsa. I also had lots of spinach and asparagus to help fill me out.

Carbs? Who needs carbs?

I need a buddy!

Well feel free to PM me (and Sav) or post on here.

Well, I weighed in this morning at 147lbs (or 10st 7lbs to fellow Brits). I am a size 12 but creeping up to a 14 (which I believe is a US size 8 creeping up to a size 10, though I might have that wrong).

When I met my ex I was 118lbs (8st 6lbs). A whole 2st lighter. I was a dress size 8 (US 4?).

I'm not very tall and I only have a small body frame so the above was just about right though I did have leeway to put on a few lbs and my boyfriend definitely preferred it when I put on a bit of weight. Now, however, even though I don't look huge in clothes they don't fit me nicely. I have muffin tops, a "tummy" and unsightly "crinkly bits", that pay particular attention to my arms, bum and thighs.

My target weight is to be 8st 6lbs by the summer. I don't know whether I will get there but I want to give it a damn good try. Not so long ago I dieted and got down to 132lbs (9st 6lbs) but somehow I managed to put it all back on again after a weekend away that led me back down a rocky path … but I was still battling my emotions too at that time.

Why is it though, that it is takes a lot of hard work and untold amounts of effort to lose the weight, yet it is sooooo easy to put it back on again? Sooo not fair! ;-)

I am going to have a look through the links that have kindly been provided and plan a meal for tonight. Other than that it is going to be lots of fruit and water.

I think I may chronicle my weight loss on here. If I think that people are going to be reading this, it may give me the inspiration I need to keep it up …. seeing as you have all inspired me to start this thang.

Roll on my skinny summer …..

For coffee, I far prefer the monkfruit extract blend powder over stevia I tried the agave nectar powder and maybe it was the brand I tried, but it had a horribly chemically flavor to me.

I'll have to try that with chicken, think I have everything right on hand, too.

I've seen monk fruit extract at the grocery but wasn't sure about it. What does it taste like? No chemical flavor? I do consume Splenda on occasion but I am trying to move away from it.

Fructose bypasses certain metabolic steps that other sugars go through en route to energy production, which can cause it to be preferentially converted directly into fat. This is an evolutionary mechanism intended to help mammals get fat by eating fruit before winter. In fall, a bear will gladly feast on fallen apples over meat.

If you're trying to drop fat, eat plenty of leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables. Some fruit is okay, but don't go crazy.

Greens, meat, water.

For sweetening, Stevia is good. Sweet, natural, ultra-low calorie.

Less bread, sugar, soda and creams help. I like to make my own soups and use whole wheat pitas instead of breads even to make homemade pizzas. I like green tea 3 times a day, mio in water instead of soda, lots of mixed berries and yogurt for lunch or snacks, or oatmeal with berries for breakfast. I also love almonds and dark chocolate for munching on if hungry. Switch regular chips for sun chips maybe too.

I've seen monk fruit extract at the grocery but wasn't sure about it. What does it taste like? No chemical flavor? I do consume Splenda on occasion but I am trying to move away from it.

I can tell the difference - but not nearly as much as with the other sweeteners, and it doesn't stick to the tongue the way stevia can in hot coffee. I also found it helped get used to gradually going to some of the sucralose stuff that just didn't taste right - I'd add one packet of powder and much better.

I can tell the difference - but not nearly as much as with the other sweeteners, and it doesn't stick to the tongue the way stevia can in hot coffee. I also found it helped get used to gradually going to some of the sucralose stuff that just didn't taste right - I'd add one packet of powder and much better.

Yeah, that's actually why I don't like stevia in my coffee. Weird tongue sensation. I'll try some monk fruit extract. Thanks.

I'm just adding successful experiments here as they occur

Wrap of the day - falafel with avocado and greens

heat up falafel burger, top with avocado prepared with a dash lemon juice, salt, garlic, and onion to taste. Top with baby kale and spinach.

YUM. Very fresh tasting with a bit of a bite from the falafel. Wish I'd had a little cilantro to add, but it was still very fresh, tasty, and filling.

I'm just adding successful experiments here as they occur

Wrap of the day - falafel with avocado and greens

heat up falafel burger, top with avocado prepared with a dash lemon juice, salt, garlic, and onion to taste. Top with baby kale and spinach.

YUM. Very fresh tasting with a bit of a bite from the falafel. Wish I'd had a little cilantro to add, but it was still very fresh, tasty, and filling.

Thanks Meseme. I think I will give that a go. I can have fun making my own falafel burgers too!

Cilantro is coriander in the UK. We refer to the leaves and stalks of the plant as "coriander" and to the seeds as "coriander seeds". In the US the leaves and stalks of the plant are referred to as "cilantro," while the seeds are referred to as "coriander." A tad confusing.

Fructose bypasses certain metabolic steps that other sugars go through en route to energy production, which can cause it to be preferentially converted directly into fat.

If you're trying to drop fat, eat plenty of leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables. Some fruit is okay, but don't go crazy.

Greens, meat, water.

For sweetening, Stevia is good. Sweet, natural, ultra-low calorie.

It's amazing how you can think you've found a healthy alternative to something, only to find out it is completely the opposite. Not sure if Stevia is widely sold in the UK but I have found some on the internet (from the UK).

Less bread, sugar, soda and creams help. I like to make my own soups and use whole wheat pitas instead of breads even to make homemade pizzas. I like green tea 3 times a day, mio in water instead of soda, lots of mixed berries and yogurt for lunch or snacks, or oatmeal with berries for breakfast. I also love almonds and dark chocolate for munching on if hungry. Switch regular chips for sun chips maybe too.

Yes the bread has got to go and I am going to base my diet around plenty of greens, meat and water. I recently got my breadmaker out of it's hidey hole but I think it is going to have to go back for a while. Bread is one of my biggest downfalls … that and pasta. I have to cut them both out completely if I am to take this diet seriously. My daughter found a low fat pizza recipe using wholemeal tortilla as it's base so we are going to have a bash at that in the week and my sister-in-law used to make a lovely minestrone soup that was both hearty and healthy so that would be a good option too.

Archived