The Tarot, Horoscopes and Oracles

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, it's very applicable to my break up/relationship situation but I guess it could be interpreted as a general question.

What do you think in terms of consulting the tarot, horoscopes and oracles during a break up? Or any other situations in life?

I ask because I have always been fascinated with tarot cards and when I broke up, to distract myself, I got back into it a bit. Downloaded an app on my phone that provided all three: tarot (though quite a simple deck), horoscopes and oracles. I have actually found them really useful and they have helped improve my outlook. I don't deal well with uncertainty and this just sort of puts me at ease.

I should explain I really personally don't believe the tarot tells the future (nor horoscopes or oracles), though to a degree I believe in fate. To me it's all down to interpretation and generally I just find the tarot a good guidance and helps me get a good balance on the outlook of certain situations; it just gets my mind whirring a bit but in a good way. For instance if the reading is mostly positive it may cause me to consider a bright side to what I originally thought was a bad situation or just pick my mood up a bit, if it says I'll have a good day I usually will, because worry will be gone; it's more of a cause and effect thing I feel. If the reading is bad I tend to take it more as a warning, these are things I need to keep in mind and work on/watch out for, if I do this, my day/week should be good. I just find it flicks a switch in my head and gets me to start considering all the options I have available.

If anyone doesn't know what oracles are they are essentially something that gives you an answer, the most common one you may know is a classic magic eight ball. I think these are generally just a bit of fun however my readings have actually been quite interesting. For example I remember asking mine loads of questions and I noticed I always got a positive answer (I won't say what the questions were but they were questions I was hoping to receive a 'yes' as an answer to). I thought, jeez I must have asked this thing 50 odd questions in the last 3 weeks and never seen a negative; I bet it doesn't even have one. So to test it I just asked it a question (quite a serious and meaningful one) where my preferred answer was negative, for the first time I saw the answer in bold letters 'NO', not 'unlikely' or 'looks doubtful', big capital letters 'NO'. Nearly dropped my phone! From then on I have noticed the clear negative answers only ever appear very rarely and often when I'm asking a question where 'no' is the preferred answer, it's really strange. Haha, once again not like it means anything but it kind of freaked me out.

In terms of relationships, since my break up I've ruminated loads with 'what if's' and sometimes it's agonising. I find that if I ask the oracle or do a tarot reading and I look at it and say 'Right now enough, you have an answer to your questions (notice AN answer not necessarily THE answer) so stop asking and get on with things' and I find I can. It's all psychological I think but it has actually really helped me.

Any thoughts?

Oh I certainly agree.

I think it is ludicrously irresponsible to not be accountable for your own decisions and I for one would definitely not be throwing open a pack of cards when it comes down to making important choices. I think for me it sort of calms and mind and gets me ready for the day, by lunchtime I have usually forgot my reading ha but it's just giving AN answer to the uncertainty so I can stop worrying from time to time.

Also, what about angel cards, what do people feel about them? We used to be given them at the beginning of our Yoga classes, I like them. They don't answer questions so much as give a positive concept to consider.

If you use it simply to calm yourself, then forget what your reading was and don't make any decisions based on the reading, I see that as beneficial then.

Do you mean you don't see it as beneficial? Sentence doesn't really make sense ha.

Maybe it's curiosity then. I've always been into weird things like divination, how they came about? Who wanted/needed them? Who decided how they should be?

Some of it has a strange beauty about it too I think.

Do you mean you don't see it as beneficial? Sentence doesn't really make sense ha.

Maybe it's curiosity then. I've always been into weird things like divination, how they came about? Who wanted/needed them? Who decided how they should be?

Some of it has a strange beauty about it too I think.

I see it as beneficial because it calms you down and it's always better to be calm. If you were getting anything else from it, I'd be concerned. Should be purely for entertainment and not decision making or analysis.

I have actually found them really useful and they have helped improve my outlook. I don't deal well with uncertainty and this just sort of puts me at ease.

When I was in my late teens I was fascinated by the tarot and other divination methods; I think, like you, that it was about my fear of uncertainty.

However, that was a (depressingly!) long time ago, and my experience has been that it's much better to pursue the kind of personal growth which will enable you to cope with uncertainty, feel comfortable with the fact that most of the universe is out of our control, and to develop a sense of personal responsibility which means you can see very clearly where you finish and other people start. Being grounded, in other words, and with good boundaries. From there, a feeling of serenity follows quite naturally.

You don't say how old you are, but all the adults I know who rely on the tarot and related systems have very troubled lives - stemming from a lack of contact with reality!

oh bring it on ...divine guidance ...fabulous

I see stuff and I know stuff and I sense stuff ..and not just when I am stoned , but a couple of marleys the size of new york and my third eye is so open I look like a cyclops.

what I never reccomend though is doing the tarot etc for "is he/she coming back?" but certainly for guidance or reassurance on many areas of your life .

you can tune into the universe anyway and your guides and angels can tell you all you need to know ...it's about learning to silence your mind to receive that guidance . All you have to do is ask .

What gets me about these things is that you can 10 readings in one day by 10 different people and they all have a different story to tell. Or you read 10 different horoscopes in 10 different magazines and they are ALL different. So, which one does one fall for? You just pick and choose which one sounds the most exciting or "true"?

No, I have to say I don't really fall for these things.

What gets me about these things is that you can 10 readings in one day by 10 different people and they all have a different story to tell. Or you read 10 different horoscopes in 10 different magazines and they are ALL different. So, which one does one fall for? You just pick and choose which one sounds the most exciting or "true"?

No, I have to say I don't really fall for these things.

and when people who are so vulnerable use these things and get a hoax reader it can really hurt them ..

as a rule of thumb a good reader wont continue if no connection is made and will advise to not have another reading for 6 months . A good reader should also tell you that this is just guidance and you can change your path if you want to .

I see both sides of the coin

I recently bought tarot cards and have been learning them. So far most the readings I have done for friends and family made a lot of sense to them. I find it difficult to interpret readings I do for myself but I asked my friend to do a reading for me which made perfect sense. Its weird lol

I saw a tarot reader/psychic around Halloween, 2010, at a non-profit fundraiser. I thought it would be fun and didn't take it seriously. She told me things she saw in the cards about my ex, which were spot on. She then told me what she saw happening in the future. She told me I was going to meet an architect, draftsman, or artist, she wasn't sure which, but she saw him sitting at a drafting table with a pencil in his hand. She said he was going to be a very significant person in my life, and I needed to get emotionally ready.

It made me happy to think of what she'd said, even if I didn't believe it.

But a week later, I did meet an architect.

Mark was very attractive, though blond and bigger than most men I found attractive - not normally my type. We went out on a first date the following Friday. Mark was significant, all right, but not in a good way. Worst first date ever. Ever. Outside of abuse or violence, I have never had such a bad date. I was living on an island at the time. He asked me to pick him up at the boat dock (not a problem). But then, as we're having dinner at the island's nicest restaurant, he tells me he forgot his wallet in his car. He had personally ordered $100 in food and drinks. He drank a lot. Then he missed the ferry home, because he wanted to have dessert at a different restaurant. That also meant dessert wine. There being no hotel on the island, I told him he could sleep on my sofa. He didn't fit on the sofa. I couldn't bring myself to offer him my daughter's room (she was at her father's), so he shared my bed. Worst idea I had that night. Mark snored. No, he didn't snore, he quaked. I didn't sleep at all. I figured it was my punishment for being so stupid. I was happy to never see him again. I'd never forget him, of course.

On September 28, 2011, I met T and found myself in love shortly thereafter. I didn't think much about the psychic after Mark, except how funny it was looking back on it, until T gave me a book he'd illustrated. In the back was a picture of him - at home, sitting at his drafting table, pencil in hand, just as the psychic described him.

We've officially been a couple since Halloween, 2011.

I believe in tarot readers/psychics.

I recently bought tarot cards and have been learning them. So far most the readings I have done for friends and family made a lot of sense to them. I find it difficult to interpret readings I do for myself but I asked my friend to do a reading for me which made perfect sense. Its weird lol

oh fab ..you keep learning ..you are opening the door to a whole new world .

Horoscopes is really superficial in magazines and such as they only do one sign of your chart, the sun sign, but everything else matters. I also dabble in tarot cards. I have a gorgeous deck of cards that I had to get into. But yeah, I don't believe in any of them, at least not that seriously enough. I do believe they're like... Psychology. What you see is what you get. If you see this way in the cards, it's because you believe it so. Same with astrology. The subconscious leaking out.

Im in to Tarrott and readings as well. Hooked up with a local clairvoyant that my mom has been using. The lady is amazing, does a lot of reading for business executives in Fortune 500s and such... you'd be surprised how many people use clairvoyants/tarrots/oracles/etc. Its interesting because career wise, she was dead on with whats currently happening, all good things.

Relationship wise... its a bit tricky because her timing is off a bit, though she did nail some things spot on with an ex of mine, though I was asking about a different ex... now the ex I was asking about is starting to re-appear as the lady said she would... time will tell.

Wow AutumnBorn that's a really cool story!

And I understand now pl3asehelp, glad we're on the same page about it

I also totally understand what you mean nutbrownhare. My therapist gave me some resources to deal with uncertainty, I really should invest a bit more time into looking over them because it is probably one of the things I am still really struggling with since completing my sessions (the other being my break up obviously). Actually I meditate too and I find that helps with that grounded feeling you mentioned, as well as a lot of the alternative thinking techniques I was taught.

Is there a particular deck anyone could recommend btw?

Can any of you recommend a good site to help learn tarot? I find it difficult tbh. I enjoy them and they give me some reassurance through difficult times but when I am upset or anxious they give me no answers. Its like they just tell me what I already know sometimes instead of giving me an answer to a question

I loved reading that story from AutumnBorn!

lilsprout and shelty24,

You can try the Quick and Easy Tarot deck for beginners.

But seriously, if you're not comfortable with the Tarot deck, then start with a deck where things are more obvious and clear.

For example, do a search on Hungarian Gypsy Deck. Those cards are very straight-forward/matter-of-fact cards. Great for divination purposes.

You don't need to be a psychic to use any type of tarot or fortune telling cards. They are just a tool to receive a peek into what's to come.

I have a 100 year old deck that are playing cards that have a message on each side of the cards (which means there are 4 messages on each card, so there about 208 messages found within the deck). This deck is spookily accurate. I did a bit of an experiment where I did weekly and monthly readings to strangers on another forum and they just had to report back if any of the predictions made came true. It was quite alarming how things from the mundane daily activities to big developments were predicted by the cards.

For example, I hadn't used my cards in months and I took them out just last week and pulled some cards to see what was coming up for the week. I ended up pulling 5 cards that seem to be heavily focused on money---Saying a check or paper money to be received, a meeting over money matters, improvement in finances, an unexpected surprise, and a female card.

well, guess what? Today I had a meeting with my female supervisor and she informed me that our company was going to be giving a lump sum of money for the 3 years past where we had no raises and we should be receiving that money in a separate check from our current salary check by the end of this month!! I was shocked, as was she...

I can't explain how it happens...It just does. I find it quite intriguing really.

Anyways, you have to be careful though and strong-minded...because if not, you can get caught up and become too dependent on the cards and get easily confused which is why I don't use them often.

Thanks for that. Ya I am wary of becoming dependent. I don't allow myself to do too many readings.

I Lost my car keys once and asked the tarot where they are. I said give me a cups card for spare bedroom, pentacles for my bedroom, swords for the kitchen and wands for living room.

I got a pentacles card and found them

I think that all of these things are tools. In the right hands, they can be valuable ones.

However, it has been my experience that few people are able to step away from their problems far enough to do accurate and intuitive readings for themselves... and that many people who offer this for a fee are not worth the money they charge.

Archived