Being morbid/dark and changing.

Fudgie

I thought about going into forensics years ago... but I wondered most about being a detective. I loved the idea of interviewing people and piecing together a case. I actually have a good handle on the law because I do read a lot. Ultimately though, I didn't think it would be wise for me to do it. I think I would get so wrapped up in. I'm the type who can overwork if I let myself.

I work in health care now at a hospital. I am going to go to school for my Master's. There's a lot of dark stuff in healthcare. I'm not just talking about patients but I am privy to some things behind the scenes and it's not good either. Being a night worker means you can see a lot if you are willing to keep an eye out.

I've taken Anatomy and have done a whole cadaver dissecting. Not sure if I could do that for a whole career. It smells bad and can get a little dull but interesting to learn about.

I don't have subscription TV anymore but there was a channel where I live called Crime and Investigation. The content is mostly about real life murders and sometimes about people with general mental disorders, but it was pretty much the only channel I watched. Pick a random time of day and there was a good chance there was something that was watchable for me. I don't watch fictionalised crime drama, most of it is too fantasy (CSI) or character-driven (NCIS) but I used to watch Law and Order: Criminal Intent and Criminal Minds because they were some of the few shows that actually go into depth about motives, which I think is massively more interesting then a basic who-done-it mystery type plot structure. One of my favourite fiction shows though is OZ. Extremely brutal show about gang warfare in a maximum security prison where none of the characters are without their flaws and many of them die horrible meaningless deaths.

I think the only reason it could be a problem is if you idealise these people or become desensitised to it. I think there is a massive gulf between trying to understand someone like Dahmer and idealising him. I also have a really weak stomach to real life violence and gore, even surgery, so I don't think I have become desensitised and would probably throw up in the chest cavity of a cadaver were I to become a Coroner.

To be honest I am disturbed by people who shy away from these themes and distance themselves completely from it, and instead try to pacify themselves with fantasy feel good topics. It comes of as willful ignorance to me. The Universe is weird, absurd, complex, and unfair. That's before you get on the topic of human nature.

The only fictional crime show I will watch is Law and Order. I like that. Otherwise, I prefer and mostly watch the real crime documentaries.

I definitely don't idealize these people though. Heck no.

Btw, when it comes to movies, I tend to find that my favorite movies are both thought provoking and disturbing. I don't mean on a violence level or creepy stuff. But rather movies that leave me thinking and with a sour feeling in my stomach. If I have that sour feeling after a movie, chances are, I'll like that movie.

Today, I was resting so I rewatched Downfall. It's a German movie (subtitled) about Hitler's final days in the bunker at the end of WWII, based off of personal testimony of a young woman who was his secretary in the bunker with him. Brilliant movie. Very dark.

I tend to like movies that deal with war, murders, mental illness, psychological thrillers, mysteries, and bad family dynamics. No rom coms here.

Archived