Misanthrope Who Also Cares About Other People

Purple Turtle

So what advice are you here for, OP? Because I'll be honest--I think you're the type of poster who isn't really looking to have an actual exchange with other people, but instead is simply looking for a place to rehash his own internal dialogue endlessly. There's a journal section for that.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All suffering is equal. It does not matter the person is rich or poor it is all the same suffering. People are people. If all you think about is the bad that's what you become you become what you think about all day long. If you think about the good you can go into the world and do good things to change things that are bad.

So what advice are you here for, OP? Because I'll be honest--I think you're the type of poster who isn't really looking to have an actual exchange with other people, but instead is simply looking for a place to rehash his own internal dialogue endlessly.

i knew that you would say something like that, you don't want to hear the truths that i speak.

You are feeding into what is making you sick.

I really hope you continue with the therapy and find a therapist who works for you. And can commit to a treatment plan. Which is what you need, IMO. You need a treatment plan and you need to work it.

My lifeline in staying sane over the years, easily could have gone your route, has been service. Maybe something for you to look into?

If you are afraid, reaching out in a safe environment can really build confidence. I know it built mine. Knowing I CAN be of use, help, make a difference. It's something to wake up for in the morning. It brings joy and connection. It gives me an outlet too for all my passion for justice.

Seriously friend, there is probably someone right in your block of neighborhood right now who needs you. Why not look at what you CAN do, at least as often as at what you can't . It's very much a control thing, and I get it. But there is a way out....of your current cage.

good luck!

OP, you need to get out more. What you're doing isn't healthy.

Yes I classify myself as a misanthrope but I'm not hiding at home in fear.

What happened in CT was sad but it's pretty on par for what happens everyday in the world.. We just don't hear about the other stuff. I heard what happened and thought it was sad but I didn't get bent out of shape about it or have it ruin my day for good. I had stuff to do

Look, all I am trying to say is yes, humans suck, and yes, a lot of things in life suck terrible things happen people. But what are you going to do? Sit inside and hide from it. Or go out and find our own form of happiness? Learn to accept and deal with the bad. Form your own oasis of happiness within yourself and only with the people that matter, people have proven to not suck (or not suck as much) as the rest.

Life is short.

Form your own oasis of happiness within yourself and only with the people that matter, people have proven to not suck (or not suck as much) as the rest.

And yet look at how this walls you off from the chance to contribute and make humanity not suck so bad. Maybe if more people got over their own limited perspectives and actually cared about others as much as they complain everyone else doesn't, the world wouldn't be so bad to begin with.

And yet look at how this walls you off from the chance to contribute and make humanity not suck so bad. Maybe if more people got over their own limited perspectives and actually cared about others as much as they complain everyone else doesn't, the world wouldn't be so bad to begin with.

I agree. The world very much needs more caring and caring people in it. Griping and complaining never got anybody anywhere. And it only adds to the suffering of the world. Why bother adding more suffering. Just do something about the suffering instead.

It's not about walling yourself off, it's about having a good support network.

I work at a hospital full time and I enjoy seeing people get better even if they are pieces of crap. I probably do a lot more to "contribute" than many people. Your lecture is not needed for me.

I just choose not to associate with the riff raff on my free time. I am picky who I associate with. Not picky about who I help in my job.

I don't think I am doing much to help in the long run. Life still sucks. When I die, life will be the same. I will make no difference in the world even if I keep doing what I'm doing... And that's true for most people. We are small and insignificant in the grand scheme.

My point is you can't let it get to you. Surround yourself with people who matter (not crappy people, which you are advocating), do what you love, and let it go.

INo, because even though they are still pieces of crap (which most of the people I have to deal with in the hospital are, to varying degrees), I get pleasure out of seeing them better. Plus them getting better means I get to see them less which is always good!

Why do I help crappy people?

-It makes me feel good.

-Because it makes me feel good, it makes life bearable.

-People treat you better when you treat them with respect.

-I get money.

The pros of helping people outweigh the cons of my job. Like getting punched by some violent naked autistic-mentally ill person. Did that suck? Yes it sucked. I got bruised up. But still, the pros of my job outweigh the cons.

Helping crappy people is the only way I know how to deal with life.

My point is you can't let it get to you. Surround yourself with people who matter (not crappy people, which you are advocating), do what you love, and let it go.

how do you FIND the people that matter though when you have NONE? i literally have no friends and only am close to 2 people (my parents) and i have almost nothing in common with them and they are very different people from me so we don't exactly get along. how do i find people who i can hang out with and enjoy their time when i'm so out of wack and have no friends or social life or anything?

how do you FIND the people that matter though when you have NONE? i literally have no friends and only am close to 2 people (my parents) and i have almost nothing in common with them and they are very different people from me so we don't exactly get along. how do i find people who i can hang out with and enjoy their time when i'm so out of wack and have no friends or social life or anything?

You can't. Because no one is going to want to be around you. See, that's the funny thing with relationships. It's not all about you and what you want. You have to bring something to the table as well.

So if you have nothing to offer right now, then you'd best start working on that so you have something to offer in the future.

And yes, I do contribute more. I've been changing adult diapers for free on screaming people since I was 18.

wow, why in the world would anyone CHOOSE to do that? sounds like a gross horrible occupation. you must get paid ALOT so i think camus might be right that you do it for the money. just saying, i could be wrong fudgie.

You go out and find people. School, parties, groups, whatever. Find a couple people who are worth it.

I only really have my family (intermediate), boyfriend, and a handful of acquaintances that I don't have meaningful relationships with but their interactions pass the time and are enjoyable. That's it.

You need a support network. No matter how small.

wow, why in the world would anyone CHOOSE to do that? sounds like a gross horrible occupation. you must get paid ALOT so i think camus might be right that you do it for the money. just saying, i could be wrong

I make $11/hour now...It's nothing. My boyfriend has a cushy desk job that pays more that I could easily apply to get into because I have a connection there. I don't. I hate desk work.

I told you, unconditionally helping people, both the buttholes and non-buttholes, is just something that I do. It's a way to feel wanted.

I want to feel that I am doing something worthwhile.

found this in another thread which i agree with:

BUT what I do find fault in that with all this power of technology and to find information about the world, people are LESS inclined to act. It's almost like the bystander situation. Everyone has access to all sorts of genocides, tragedies, wars, political upheavals, economics EVERYWHERE around the world at the click of a mouse. But YET, people prefer to choose NOT to act in any kind of way to help.

this is alot how i feel. the only thing i would add is that there are people that are so stupid that they DON'T EVEN KNOW what's going on in the world. so it's not just people who may know and not act it's people who are just complete blind sheep idiots.

People historically have been bystanders. Changing technology changes nothing about this.

Human nature doesn't change. Our tools do. We evolved from having spears to nuclear weapons. We are smart enough to not nuke everything but our primal emotions are the same. People bystand because they are afraid and there is a degree of selfishness in that. Am I bystander? Many times, absolutely. Why? Because I don't want to get beat up. If I can call 911 anonymously and not where I could be seen, I'd do that but that's about it. It's self preservation.

And yeah, lots of people are idiots who just want to sit at home, waste money, waste resources, and make trouble.

But what are you going to do? Can't change any of it.

Find people who aren't like that. They do exist.

Humans may suck but we aren't ALL the same. That is where hope lies.

again from the same thread:

In my experience the majority of people are just a waste of oxygen. I find them to be ignorant, shallow, selfish, materialistic, corrupt, obnoxious, dishonest and lazy.

that sounds about right i despise all the qualities mentioned above with the exception of laziness. i actually think in this current twisted corrupt selfish greed-filled society especially as a male being lazy and not working (i've NEVER had a real job my entire life and it's one of the things i'm most proud of as a misanthrope) or conforming to society is a positive and enlightened thing.

PS i say real job because i worked a few part-time neighborhood jobs when i was 16 and 17. last time i worked was may 2002

that sounds about right :subdued: i despise all the qualities mentioned above with the exception of laziness. i actually think in this current twisted corrupt selfish greed-filled society especially as a male being lazy and not working (i've NEVER had a real job my entire life and it's one of the things i'm most proud of as a misanthrope) or conforming to society is a positive and enlightened thing.

Funny how you don't eschew laziness in that list. That's awfully convenient for someone who clearly doesn't support himself.

Oh, the luxury in which you must bask, complaining about how awful humanity is while others pay for your very existence.

Archived