Online dating - is everyone illiterate?

Sirenia

Sure, I understand if you're chatting online or sending a text message you don't need proper punctuation and capitalization, etc but if you're sending a message or an email? No capitals, no punctuation, poor grammar and spelling. It's really offputting. I know it's worse in younger generations but I would not say the people writing to me are particularly young. They are mostly around my age - early-late 30s. Ridiculous. It's totally offputting. I can imagine them speaking to me like that in real life too.

LOL!

I'm a grammar Nazi and this annoys me greatly as well. I stated on my profile that men shouldn't bother contacting me if they are unable to use grammatically correct English. That filters out somewhat of the unwanted population, but obviously there are many illiterate ones that don't read my profile (but can you really blame them?) and proceed to message me in dys k1nd 0f txts.

I believe that all typed messages, be they texting, online chatting, email or what have you, should always be properly spelled and punctuated. Otherwise, what's the point of having grammar? The language just becomes jibberish. If you want to inflect tone or feeling, use the phone or see someone in person and leave the messaging to quick, pertinent information. The example of the type of texting that drmcsugar gave I find particularly ridiculous. That's just intentionally dumbing down the language.

Interesting. I do like the term, "Grammar Nazi", very apt description. I'm carefully typing this out because I am notorious for not proofing my writing. Possibly and likely that I'm lazy and sloppy or that I am comfortable and don't take my audience seriously because of all the typo errors I've experienced so far.

As for a relationship. I agree meeting a beautiful woman, then trying to read her gangster script will tend to be put off. However all that means is I will adapt and not leave any more notes, just switch to phone calls or personal contact. The mother of my children should not write like she tags. Just my preference.

On the other hand, if she writes like a 18th century spinster, cold and emotionless, a turn off just a well. I love good penmanship and articulate prose, with that she's a keeper.

you know, its interesting. i totally understand what you mean, it annoys me when i see people writing in a silly fashion like that.

HOWEVER my ex writes like that. his spelling is awful and he uses text speak too much. and yet he is very intelligent and articulate in person. when i read his words he's like another person!!. so yeah ,because of him i wouldn't judge people's writing skills too much.

Sure, I understand if you're chatting online or sending a text message you don't need proper punctuation and capitalization, etc but if you're sending a message or an email? No capitals, no punctuation, poor grammar and spelling. It's really offputting. I know it's worse in younger generations but I would not say the people writing to me are particularly young. They are mostly around my age - early-late 30s. Ridiculous. It's totally offputting. I can imagine them speaking to me like that in real life too.

i just want to chime in here and say when i was first getting online, sending emails, and chatting in the early to mid 90s, i was told by friends that were versed in online communications to type everything lower caps, otherwise you're yelling.

i typed in all lower caps here but my spelling and grammar are fine. does reading what i've typed here annoy you?

by the way, i'm 38.

but i agree. spllng mistayks relly tirn me off.

"me fail english? that's UN-possible!" - Ralph Wiggum

i just want to chime in here and say when i was first getting online, sending emails, and chatting in the early to mid 90s, i was told by friends that were versed in online communications to type everything lower caps, otherwise you're yelling.

i typed in all lower caps here but my spelling and grammar are fine. does reading what i've typed here annoy you?

Very annoying.

ALL CAPS IS YELLING.

Appropriately used uppercase lettering, grammar, and correct spelling convey literacy - a quality very near the top of my requirements.

Oh My! Glad you started this thread because YES i think they are! Guys and girls alike (from what I am told) what is with that? You wouldn't send in a job application like that...or would you?

YUCK!

The types of bad messaging.

The accidental mistype or incorrect spelling- acceptable

The occasional abbreviator- acceptable

The teen txt abbreviator (ive had a late 30s man text me in this style, i asked if he got auto corrected haha) nm, lmk if u want to meet up k? tc...-absolutely unacceptable

The abomination of the english language, non spellchecked grammatical disaster- not acceptable

I don't think we're being "grammar nazis" at all. It's just common sense to prefer who does the right and expected thing. It's kind of like wanting someone who showers over someone who doesn't. OK maybe it's a bad example but you get what I mean. For me it actually makes me think of them as less intelligent, less educated, etc... and that is NOT attractive at all.

No he has a learning disability where he cannot put things together grammatically correct or learn to spell properly. Speaking he is perfectly grammatically correct ,writing it down,no. He does use Dragon speak for school though. My son is very intelligent and actually tested above average intelligence but I would still recommend he never try online dating. I think it would be a poor experience for him.

Its no bother though, there are plent of other ways to meet people and express yourself. My younger brother is SHOCKINGLY bad at english, he fell through the crack of the school system and my parents did not have the money for a tutor, he was also preoccupied with being bullied. Pretty sure he would not choose online dating as it would highlight his flaws. Work with you strong points.

Im sure he won't have many problems dating when he has you and your terriffic dating advice too

Online dating searches should offer the option "Only show profiles with good spelling". (Maximum 2 misspelled words, excluding capitalized words and words that are part of foreign phrases.) This should be easy enough for the website to administer. OKCupid could probably do it. In fact, websites could offer an auto-block feature where members cannot send you a message unless it's at least x sentences long and has at least 50% of the words spelled correctly.

Online dating searches should offer the option "Only show profiles with good spelling". (Maximum 2 misspelled words, excluding capitalized words and words that are part of foreign phrases.) This should be easy enough for the website to administer. OKCupid could probably do it. In fact, websites could offer an auto-block feature where members cannot send you a message unless it's at least x sentences long and has at least 50% of the words spelled correctly.

Oh I would PAY for that feature.

PoF does have a feature where you can specify that messages have to be of a certain length.....I use it and consequently I get a lot of this"

"dayum grl u is hawt!.....-----......................................................................"

Yes just enough extra punctuation to get past the message length rule. Other guys just complain about it...."Hi im mike you're prty hot. dang this thang says my msg aint long enough. there maybe thats enough." and so on....really guys...it says right in my profile I have an MBA do you really think that's going to work on me?

Archived