Online dating - is everyone illiterate?

Sirenia

I have to agree that a profile riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes drives me away instantly, regardless of how the person looks.

Sometimes I receive emails from women, like the most recent one, which have no real substance to follow. Here is what I just received yesterday, and I haven't even logged onto OKC in a month:

"Dinosaurs scare me, LOL. I can't watch Jurassic Park..."

No "hello", no "my name is ....", nothing just a sentence about dinosaurs with a 'LOL'. I don't know if the rules are different for women, but I do not respond to these short messages unless I'm wow'ed by their profile.

I think lack of substance is just as bad as spelling and grammatical errors!

Sure, I understand if you're chatting online or sending a text message you don't need proper punctuation and capitalization, etc but if you're sending a message or an email? No capitals, no punctuation, poor grammar and spelling. It's really offputting. I know it's worse in younger generations but I would not say the people writing to me are particularly young. They are mostly around my age - early-late 30s. Ridiculous. It's totally offputting. I can imagine them speaking to me like that in real life too.

Minor spelling errors (e.g. "delibarate") or obvious typos ("typso") don't bother me but a complete lack of articulacy would. Reading and writing are big things in my life and although naturally I don't restrict myself to meeting people exactly like me, if those passions are completely alien to them the chances are we're not going to be a great match.

And txt-speak is just wearing. I'll use it a little in live chat (btw, cya) but hardly at all in email-style messaging. I think the comparatively limited vocabulary of txt-speak also makes it difficult to get a sense of the person behind the abbreviations.

Archived