Open Car Door for her?

paperboy48

Been out of the dating seen for a while...going to pick up a girl I have been seeing for a while.

Picking her up at her house...should I open the car door for her or is that too old old fashioned? And should I open the door for her each time we get in the car tonight or just the first time?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man you should! But only if that's you, you don't have too. I think the girls thinks it's "gentlemanly". But don't go overboard with it, just open up the car door for her when your both walking to your car, but when both in the car don't jump out and open up her door - she's a big girl she can get out. And I'd only do the car door opening manouver a few times at the beginnig, and then once you see that person all the time stop doing it lol (because she will tell you to stop doing it lol)

I don't see any harm in doing it the first time...but then do you open all doors and pull out chair and stuff?

Honestly, if approach the car together on the passenger side especially, open the door for her.

Before I had remote locks, I used to like to see if they unlocked my door while I was walking around the other side. Some did some didn't

I personally like it - it is a nice touch and I think it shows that a guy is actually being respectful towards you - I understand the dilemma there are girls that might think it is naff - but I think it is one of those small gestures that count - there is a guy that I work with and when we have lunch he buys a small cake to bring home to his girlfriend - all those small little gestures count for a lot I think

there is a guy that I work with and when we have lunch he buys a small cake to bring home to his girlfriend - all those small little gestures count for a lot I think

When I drop by my buddy's place to go out for coffee sometimes, I bring his wife a hot chocolate.

When I take my dog to the groomer's, I bring her a coffee.

The whole coffee thing has worked in my favour a number of times with a few women. It's always taken really really well.

After three years, my dog's groomer thinks it's sweet that I remembe how she takes her coffee.

I would suggest you consider a reflection of your own standard, not of the woman you are with. If you want to be a walk-on-the-street-side-of-the-sidewalk, open-her-door kind of guy, then absolutely. I love that stuff. Manners will protect you on an otherwise bad day and make a good day nicer. She will feel appreciated and you will have just been doing your normal thing.

My daughter is 13 and her bf is 14 and whenever she is going out somewhere with him and his mom he always jumps out and opens her door. This is not just for the older ladies. I think it's a lovely gesture of respect. (and before anyone comments about the age of these two....they are never alone. Always in public places or with a parent)

(and before anyone comments about the age of these two....they are never alone. Always in public places or with a parent)

Hahah, I read everything before this three times, THEN saw this.

I'm curious at this age, what constitutes bf/gf. I remember what I was like at that age, even younger.

Anyway, does he also open his mother's door?

I guess I just don't care about that kind of thing. Get in the car and let's go. I'm a grown woman, I know how to open doors. LOL

Yeah, but you need to look at it from a man's perspective. There is some general expectation for men to open doors for women. No woman should be offended by it.

If you want to make sure no man opens a door for you, beat him to it.

Perhaps if a man doesn't want to be completey disrespectful, he (we) couls stand by while you open your own door and get in the car, then proceed to the driver side.

Here's a though. What if SHE is driving. I feel like there wouldn't be ANY obligation to get her door.

I just think it's nice for people - regardless of gender - to hold open doors for people. That is the way I was taught by my parents and I am a woman. I was taught it's about manners. Then again, I'm going to be 39 next week so I guess I could be considered one of the 'older' folks. Pfft!

I just think it's nice for people - regardless of gender - to hold open doors for people. That is the way I was taught by my parents and I am a woman. I was taught it's about manners. Then again, I'm going to be 39 next week so I guess I could be considered one of the 'older' folks. Pfft!

If a man is taught by his parents to be a gentleman then he will open the car door for his woman. It is a simple act of respect no matter what the age.

If a man is taught by his parents to be a gentleman then he will open the car door for his woman. It is a simple act of respect no matter what the age.

I agree it's about respect. Since I don't date men, however, my partner and I usually take turns doing this - we are both quite chivalrous this way. In fact, I do this with everyone, come to think of it, male or female.

I think if it goes with the flow of things (for example, if you're already on the passenger side) then it's a lovely gesture. If you have to sprint to the door before she gets to it, I'd see that as trying too hard I'm quite disappointed that my boyfriend stopped opening the car door for me - guess he doesn't feel like he needs to woo me anymore!

Archived