Am I overeacting? I need outside opinion...please help

unanimous123

Hi y'all,

I know that this is the place to turn to when in need of unbiased opinions out there, hence, I'm asking for one.

My gf and I live together and been in a relationship for over a year now. I admit that I have trust issues, but I still let her do her own thing like go out with friends and such. The thing is, she took a picture of her ex boyfriend using her camera. They work together and are forced to be friends due to this condition, though said that their relationship is now strictly business. Anyway, she already knows how I feel about her taking solo pictures of her ex, in fact,this was what led to a fight one time. Am I being irrational here or what? I need your unbiased opinion...thanks.

Trust is vital in any relationship. You two chose to live with one another, so you are going to have to face the fact that her taking pics with her ex, among other activities she partakes in with friends and without you, are going to happen because they are her choices to make. Just let it go. Show her that you have confidence by dismissing it all together. Starting fights over something due to your own insecurities will only backfire.

Thanks for your opinion. Needless to say, this is the same guy whom she left to be with me, by the way. I guess my insecurity just stemmed from her mentioning during an argument that she shouldn't have dumped him for me, that had been too much to take, but we managed to get past that. I just don't know why she keeps doing things that she knows would upset me.

Hi y'all,

I know that this is the place to turn to when in need of unbiased opinions out there, hence, I'm asking for one.

My gf and I live together and been in a relationship for over a year now. I admit that I have trust issues, but I still let her do her own thing like go out with friends and such. The thing is, she took a picture of her ex boyfriend using her camera. They work together and are forced to be friends due to this condition, though said that their relationship is now strictly business. Anyway, she already knows how I feel about her taking solo pictures of her ex, in fact,this was what led to a fight one time. Am I being irrational here or what? I need your unbiased opinion...thanks.

It depends honestly.... I have jealousy issues too, but I've learned its how you communicate. When you discussed taking pictures with her before, did she agree that it may be slightly inappropriate? or did she say you were being irrational. If she agreed to it and decided to take pictures anyway, than you are absolutely NOT being irrational.. Also, how long ago did their relationship end, how long did it last, and has she ever done anything to betray your trust before? ...... And what is the nature of their work that she has to be taking solo pictures of him?

You also knowingly do things that upset her. Namely, having jealousy and trust issues against her.

Excellent point here.

What do you expect her to do OP, sit around the house and check every detail with you when she leave your side all so you can feel secure. Now, she should certainly not have said that to you, was very wrong of her and she should apologize but your have to get your insecurities under control.

It depends honestly.... I have jealousy issues too, but I've learned its how you communicate. When you discussed taking pictures with her before, did she agree that it may be slightly inappropriate? or did she say you were being irrational. If she agreed to it and decided to take pictures anyway, than you are absolutely NOT being irrational.. Also, how long ago did their relationship end, how long did it last, and has she ever done anything to betray your trust before? ...... And what is the nature of their work that she has to be taking solo pictures of him?

Thanks...She thinks I'm being irrational.It ended over a year ago and their relationship last for less than a month. She hasn't done anything to betray my trust where a third party had been involved, but she betrayed my trust by lying about her whereabouts. As for the last question, they work at a software company, she happened to be bringing a camera because we were supposed to go out on a date later that night. Just didn't know she would be using it on her officemates during their lunchbreak though.

Excellent point here.

What do you expect her to do OP, sit around the house and check every detail with you when she leave your side all so you can feel secure. Now, she should certainly not have said that to you, was very wrong of her and she should apologize but your have to get your insecurities under control.

I'm trying...but what she's doing is really not helping at all.

It's sad because her actions really speak that she loves me, despite the recent event (she must have a reason one way or another why she did that, though I hope it's not to piss me off). Also, I really wanted us to work because I really love her. i just wish i don't get upset easily.

I think if you hold the attitude that you let her go out, that you wish she didn't do things to upset you, and that you get upset easily then yeah, you are not compatible with her.

Here's the thing ... what do you want? What will make you happy?

If what will make you happy is for her to "not do things to upset you" then I think it's doomed. IF you can define what bothers you more concretely, that might help. Then you can draw a line in the sand with her. If she can agree great. If not, then time to move on.

You have every right to set up your own boundaries in a relationship. That being said your mentality is what will doom this relationship and its completely unreasonable and irrational. You use the word "let" as though this is a child your are permitting some special privilege to. So she took a picture of ONE guy she happens to work with, what is the big deal?

The way you save this relationship is to do some serious work on YOURSELF, accept that you are being irrational, apologize to her and ask that both of you go to therapy to work this out.

I think alot of people on this thread are missing the point. The OP may have trust issues, but that is a separate problem. Whilst he should definitely refrain from using the terminology "let" in reference to the activities his girlfriend partakes in, he does have a legitimate reason to wonder she continues to take pictures of her ex if he has already told her it makes him feel uncomfortable.

OP what you really need to do is sit down and have a calm talk about it, without getting upset or angry at her. Tell her that you thought you made it clear the last she took a picture of her ex that you didn't like it, but that maybe it wasn't clear. Explain to her again that it makes you feel uncomfortable, and if this is a deal breaker for you let her know that in a non-ultimatum way (e.g. I don't think that we can have a healthy relationship if one of us disregards the things that makes the other uncomfortable, and I would really appreciate it if you could respect my boundaries and stop taking pictures of your ex). If she doesn't want to, and it bothers you that much then you need to consider ending the relationship.

That being said, taking pictures of an ex is not usually something that triggers distrust in a partner. I can understand that in your case you have insecurities because she left her ex for you, but if you can't get over that barrier on your own then you do need to seek couples therapy or break up.

Archived