Water Birth, Epidural, Natural, Hospital or at Home? How did you give birth?

tattoobunnie

That's insane! Some women take two hours just to push. Did you only have two contractions & two pushes? Geez. I'm not saying every first baby takes a long time, but the average first baby born is about 18 hours of labor, and that doesn't include delivery. Everyone is different, but I think putting all my eggs into one basket that it'll take me under an hour is a pretty far stretch.

Lol sorry should have clarified, for me to be born (as in my moms first baby) I was only seven minutes of labour. I don't know about the amount of contractions but she had the urge to push while on the elevator. They were admitted at 9 am, I was born 9:07 am. No epidural, no weighing, nothing. Not many have fast deliveries but long doesn't happen all the time. My he's friend was in labour for 12 hours plus delivery and another friend for about 10.

I didn't have a crib until the week before(not assembled until after he was born) and the other stuff I think we got within the week before or later. No swing -we had a bouncy seat and we did the snap and go with the car seat as the stroller. You're doing great!

It depends. Some women take a few hours to have a first baby and some take a few days. My one cousin took 2 hours to have her son and she is the tiniest thing ever, she weighs like 70 pounds. Her sister took 18 hours to have her first baby. My brother's wife took about 2 hours each for all 3. For my mother to have me took 36 hours and I was only 4 pounds. For her to have my brother took 18 hours and he was over 8 pounds. My son took about 17 hours or so 3 of them pushing. My second baby (mind you I was only 4 months pregnant when he was born) took 5 hours.

I had a home birth with my first. Like arwen, she was posterior which made it more difficult but still overall a positive experience. This time I'm going the hospital route and I've noticed a world of difference between the standard of care offered by midwives vs. Doctors. My husband and I are always commenting that we miss the midwives. It's a completely different experience.

Even though my first was born healthy and naturally 11 days past the due date, I'm having to fight not to be induced this time. The nurse got on the phone and scheduled an induction in front of me without even asking my feelings on it. The midwives would always educate you, give you information and then suggest you go home and carefully discuss all options with your partner and family.

I had a home birth with my first. Like arwen, she was posterior which made it more difficult but still overall a positive experience. This time I'm going the hospital route and I've noticed a world of difference between the standard of care offered by midwives vs. Doctors. My husband and I are always commenting that we miss the midwives. It's a completely different experience.

Even though my first was born healthy and naturally 11 days past the due date, I'm having to fight not to be induced this time. The nurse got on the phone and scheduled an induction in front of me without even asking my feelings on it. The midwives would always educate you, give you information and then suggest you go home and carefully discuss all options with your partner and family.

The good thing was that the midwife was still checking up on me in the hospital. But I agree. It was only after the complete frustration of 10 hours of useless but excruciating back labors that I agreed to go and have a 'medical' birth. I would have delivered in the hospital, but in Holland you can choose to do it at home or at hospital (without medical reason), and in both cases it's with the midwife. But once you are referred to have an epidural... you're facing hospital protocol. Honestly I didn't care so much anymore at that moment. I was happy to hand myself over to them and let them help me. I was also very blessed to have a nurse who just stuck by my side in the last stage before pushing, when the labor just came in one big storm. She really helped me go through it.

I totally understand. I needed an epidural with my second one and was just happy to let them end my suffering. I don't think a medication-free delivery should be about unnecessary suffering and misery. Under certain circumstances, accepting the epidural is the compassionate thing to do for yourself.

Hi Everyone! Okay...back to the midwife! After my appointment last week with my OB, I asked him about birth plans. He pretty much mocked them. I got so discouraged and stressed. Honestly, I really don't think he even knows my name. So then last night, the midwife calls me up about my cancelled appointment, and wanted to talk about things to see how I was doing. We talked about my recent doc appointment, and how oddly stressed I have been over it. She alleviates me, and about my fears on any fees about transferring. And how great it would be. So seeing her today!

Midwife - Waterbirth - at a Hospital

Archived