Love at first sight -- do you believe it?

so what are you guys thoughts on love at first sight?

personally, I WANT to believe it just cuz I'm a hopeless romantic. but at the same time I think if sometime like that happens, what you're feeling is not actually love, but rather just an overwhelming general excitement and infatuation, which I think are quite different things.

so I guess in a way I don't really believe it, I think to truly love someone you need to get to know them and have spent enough time with them to grow some sort of attachment.

but then again, if you believe in metaphysics and karma or whatever higher conscious order of the universe, then that's a different story.

so in conclusion-- I guess I don't really know if I believe in love at first sight...

well I think however you define love, it's not going to come out to equal simply an attraction. so I would say if you only believe in "attraction at an instant", then that's not the same as "love at first sight".

You're absolutely right. However you define love, love can't simply be an attraction and it's all I'm trying to say. You can be instantly attracted to a person. But that doesn't mean you can instantly love a person.

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely believe in love at first sight...however, I don't believe it is "love" per se, but its an initial spark, an attraction, or chemistry between two people - something that, with time, can definitely lead to real love and is beautiful from the start. Sometimes it leaves you with a silly, lovestruck, ear-to-ear smile that is irremovable for quite a while. Of course, this "love" can also dissipate or be completely destroyed as you get to know the other person.

And then there's another kind of love, wherein you get to know the person first and then start seeing them differently and begin to "love" them through that. All their imperfections are perceived perfectly by you and they seem more and more beautiful by the minute.

Love comes at us in many different ways. Cupid doesn't discriminate! He hits us in different ways...so keep your eyes and heart open and never cease smiling!

You can't love somebody at first sight. You know nothing about this person. Love only blooms after two people have taken the time to truly get to know each other. Once we find someone who we can trust, have alot in common with and is a friend, then we can say we are really in love with him or her.

At first sight there is only physical attraction. That doesn't come close to love.

i agree with this. and my friend recently had a kind of "love at first sight" experience. hes a grunger type guy. and he saw a girl in our class (we're all yr 11) dressed as a skater chick and fell in love with her and now they're going out. i said kind of love at first sight because they have known each other and been friends for 8 years and only seen each other in skool. so for him seein her in her skater gear made him really think about her and fall in love.

I believe in love at first sight. And only because its nicer to say then lust at first sight. I gotta agree with the othe rguy, you cant love someone unless you really know them. But i was a vicitim of love at first sight and i gotta say, its just as strong as real love.

nheres how i define love at first sight

" The over influcation of chemistry due to a certain wanting."

But i gotta say, i believe in it, maybe its cause of all the fairy tales we hear at a young age, but i believe in it.

• 3 weeks later...

i don't believe in love at frist sight. love is sumthing 2 people share and it needs time to grow not just a second and you don't even no the person. love needs time,caring,sharin and understanding not just the sight of sumone.like ya it could be lust at first sight but not love.

Somewhere on this forum is this link (I forgot where, but I did save the link in my email as I found it interesting):

link removed

I followed this link and found the following very interesting:

"infatuation certainly happens but instant love is not a dependable sign of enduring love. Many people will also tell you that the "body chemistry has to be right." But, in fact, this strong, instant physical-emotional attraction sucks us into both good and bad relationships. The body chemistry on the first or second date is no reliable indication of what the body chemistry will be like in the second or twenty-second year. The selection of a life-long partner must be based on more than initial physical-emotional attraction"

Reference: link removed

"According to Tennov (1978), infatuation is unfulfilled desire, i.e. your infatuation fades away if the person unconditionally and fully returns your love. It is the hard-to-get person that really turns you on"

"Conventional wisdom has it, however, that marriages based on romantic "love at first sight" don't last, but there is no clear data for or against this dire prediction. There are many couples who fell in love instantly and it lasted forever. On the other hand, most of us have known immature people who impulsively become infatuated, getting into trouble repeatedly. (And we all know the opposite: wonderful people who avoid fast intimacy.)

In short, the advantages and disadvantages of quickly getting emotionally involved are complex and not yet well researched. Perhaps, the pros and cons of instant infatuation doesn't matter much because you may not be able to change that basic part of your personality anyway. (You can learn to rationally control it to some extent, however.)

Regardless of whether we get into love quickly or slowly, once we are intensely involved with the other person, from that point on, while we may continue to experience ups and downs in this relationship, the issue becomes condensed into a simple question of staying or leaving: Will I stick with this person (and make the best of it) or leave and lose him/her forever?"

"First, the infatuated person exaggerates the loved one's good traits and ignores the bad ones. It seems as though this is the only person who could satisfy his/her needs. One is infatuated with a fantasy, not the real person. Second, infatuation involves many of the same sensations and experiences as love--preoccupation with the loved one, strong attraction, an aching heart, butterflies in the stomach, restless sleep, etc. Not surprisingly, infatuation is likely to be interpreted as "true love" by inexperienced persons even though they do not know much about the lover and their needs are not being met. It is important to mentally realize (contrary to what you feel ) that being infatuated with someone tells you very little about your compatibility with that person. How can one tell if it is true love or infatuation? There is no sure method."

image removed Well fortunely i found my love at first when thought i was at the lowet of my low he was just a stranger then and yet he cared so much about how i felt and what emotions i was going through... i knew when i saw him for the first time with his smile, charisa, and intrigue i would fall in love with him it was like an electric pulse running through my veins and it's pan out our life together for quite awhile were r engaged now and i love him unconditionally and as he should me, we've lasted 4yrs and have a lifetime left... [/img]

Hi!

i never believed in love at first sight.

now i fell in love at first sight and it wasn`t the physical attraction like you wrote it before.

it`s like meeting a person and connect with this person in an instant.

i believe that there has to be more to have a good relationship and i also believe that you first have to give yourself a chance to develope a realtionship.

i also think it is more difficult to build up a relationship to a person you fell in love at first sight it`s like yo got the feeling but there is a complete stranger in front of you.

you left out the stages of slowly getting to know each other better before starting a relationship...

but it`s fun and it`s exciting. and of course taking on love at first sight does mean taking on a higher risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Love at first sight. Well thats something that has been said for a long long time. It starts with the eyes and ends with the heart.

But right now its just liking the person. Liking and loving are 2 differnet things. Love is like a slowly blooming flower. It takes it time 2 blossom.

Only time will tell wheather this liking turns into luv r just fizzels off.

I don't believe it.. I still don't believe it. It did happen to bf and I though.

I seriously think with us, it was lust at first sight and we slowly built it from there. It just happens that we're very compatible, but not everyone's lucky.

=) With the two of us it was seriously "at first sight." He felt something finally hit him on the head when he met me, and I was thinking "Oh, finally found him." =/

... yeah, magical romantic and all that. I still don't believe in love at first sight.

How can you love someone you don't even know, unless your definition of love is different. I agree with tea, it's lust or something like that. Or maybe it's the look in their eyes that you can somehow see into their souls and know that this is the one for me. I felt this way quite a few times and thought it was destiny that we be together, but none of them felt the same for me. For those who fell in love/lust at first sight and actually had their crush/love feel the same way, I envy you. I wish I knew what it felt like.

it exists. the way i feel about my boyfriend now (1.5 years later) is the same way i felt about him on our first date. ok granted, our first date wasnt the first time we "saw" eachother, but its the first time we actually hung out. i think i loved him from day one. unless that was some sort of feeling that felt exactly like love? i dunno, im a believer. ive never felt like that around anyone else. an instant connection, where you say "where have you been all my life" the second you meet. hahha. its cute

personally, I WANT to believe it just cuz I'm a hopeless romantic.

Trigve~

"Look afar and see the end from the beginning."

Well, I believe the phrase 'love at first sight' is recognized when you realize you are in love with that person ~ the instant it hits you, you come to the conclusion that you've loved that person all along - ever since the beginning.

Also, how about looking at it from a different perspective: a baby for instance instead of a soul mate? I know that if I ever have a child, I'll love it at first sight (or even before). ...whoever coined this phrase might be referring to something entirely different...

~Stay romantic