Friends who have strong opinions about inane things

Celadon

I don't understand the attitude/motivation for having an opinion about something that really, really doesn't matter. Like, I have a friend who will go off on a rant about how it's "wrong" that cereal boxes aren't as big as they were when he was a child. Or how Demi Moore should have divorced Ashton Kutcher years ago.

My reaction tends to be: "Really? THAT's what you think is wrong with the world?"

I guess I just don't tap into rage or rage-humor. The funny thing is, this friend believes it's a positive quality that he has these opinions. Maybe it makes him feel passionate about the world. Personally, I'd rather be passionate about making sure people around the world have clean water to drink or kids don't get caught up in crime.

What's it all about? Can someone explain this to me, please? Is it about being "passionate" about something -- anything -- even if it is silly?

I think the two topics you mentionned can be important.

1) The cereal box issue. Well... it's important, as consumers, that we take notice of these types of things. If we don't notice, corporations will take advantage of consumers and you will see this type of thing happening more and more. It actually is outrage on a mass level that forces them to change. The money you save on cereal CAN be money that you use to feed hungry or homeless children. See the Occupy Wall Street movement. Corporations get rich on giving us less cereal for our money and buy yachts while the working stiff is hungry.

2) The Ashton/Demi thing. (I actually have no idea what is going on in their relationship - are they getting a divorce?) Anyways - it can be a warning tale against age gap relationships. Is it any different than any relationship talk? Warning about divorces and the like? It's about protection of the heart.

I dunno. I think that it's important that we all have different things that ignite us. One person can fight corporate america while another fights injustice in the middle east. All important topics. One person can't be passionate about them all. I know I don't give a hoot about the endangered spider of Timbuktu - but someone has to. And more apparently "frivolous" things like fashion, art and relationships are important too. They bring happiness to the world. We need someone to fight for that too.

Yup, it takes all kinds to move the world. What is frivolous to someone is totally important to someone else because it relates to a big important issue in their mind or a topic in their life and unless we know their life intimately or have a mile in their shoes or in their past shoes we can not really say it is inane.

Yup, it takes all kinds to move the world. What is frivolous to someone is totally important to someone else because it relates to a big important issue in their mind or a topic in their life and unless we know their life intimately or have a mile in their shoes or in their past shoes we can not really say it is inane.

Exactly. Your alternative, OP is simply to choose not to hang around with people who don't care about the things you do. I tend to care more about people than causes -meaning, individual people than global causes -and I agree it takes all kinds to make the world a better place. I also agree that it's important not to be judgmental about what other people care about especially when it doesn't need to affect your life one iota.

Well, y'all make a good point about there probably being some larger issue. And that it takes all kinds of people. I guess what's been frustrating me is when I don't see what the issue is that people are so concerned about ... like, why it's such a big deal. Thanks, RedDress, for explaining those two topics.

I remember when another celebrity couple broke up, and this other guy I know, an older man who you'd never think cared about celebrity gossip, couldn't stop talking about it. It's funny...

Well, y'all make a good point about there probably being some larger issue. And that it takes all kinds of people. I guess what's been frustrating me is when I don't see what the issue is that people are so concerned about ... like, why it's such a big deal. Thanks, RedDress, for explaining those two topics.

I remember when another celebrity couple broke up, and this other guy I know, an older man who you'd never think cared about celebrity gossip, couldn't stop talking about it. It's funny...

Maybe they don't get how you are so concerned about people having clean water but are doing nothing much to help bring clean water to people who don't have clean water. When you talk about your concern do you also talk about what you plan to do about it or is it just talk?

I wouldn't take it out on the person. Here is an article that can explain things : link removed

Thanks, Mephisto.

Maybe they don't get how you are so concerned about people having clean water but are doing nothing much to help bring clean water to people who don't have clean water. When you talk about your concern do you also talk about what you plan to do about it or is it just talk?

Do I do anything to bring clean water to people? Why yes, I actually do. Thanks for asking. I'm not getting your point...

Thanks, Mephisto.

Do I do anything to bring clean water to people? Why yes, I actually do. Thanks for asking. I'm not getting your point...

My point was that you have value judgments about what is important to have strong opinions about. I agree with you that clean water for everyone is important and should be important to everyone, but if you just talk about things like clean water (or homelessness/literacy etc) without sharing what you personally are doing to help that particular issue others might view it as all talk and therefore "inane" just like you view others' impassioned opinions on celebrity divorces as "inane". That's great that you have causes that you work at - I'm sure sharing what you do when appropriate probably inspires others too.

Like for example I have this completely irrational aversion to holier-than-thou people who act like whatever they find ridiculous must be ridiculous because they find it ridiculous.

"Really, really doesn't matter to me" is not the same as "Really, really doesn't matter." If it matters to someone, it matters. I care a lot about photoshopped people in advertisements and magazine covers - it bugs me a great deal. But it's good that you care about the really important stuff -- and that you let the world know.

People tend to talk about things that interest them--and are thus important to them--moreso than things that are considered universally important. Unfortunately, "universally important" things are too often treated like vegetables: boring but necessary. They're presented in dry, overly-sincere ways, whereas it's clear that we enjoy talking about the things that actually interest us. That's why comedy shows that cover the news, like Daily Show and Colbert Report, are a good change of pace. It's possible to talk about serious stuff without having flashbacks to boring social-studies classes.

Ashton and Demi were in an open relationship, as she's apparently bisexual and still needed women. This gave him the chance to sleep with whoever. I take this to mean that cougars can work as long as the guy is also sleeping with younger women.

Boxed cereal? Blah. Team Cream of Wheat ftw.

Archived