Rocio's Pregnancy Thread

rocio

OMG- how did I miss this??? lol Congratulations!

No wonder you said you were going to gain weight in my Journal. LOL I was thinking to myself....why is she saying that....is she eating a lot of pizza lately? lol duh....it's because you are growing a baby. That is a very good reason!!!!

Congrats again!!!!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where do you get those I wonder? Can you get them from a pharmacy? If so maybe I can go run out and get one this weekend.

You can find them online. link removed carries them. I think I paid 120$ for mine and it worked fine (bought in late 2008 during my first pregnancy). It will not be a medical grade one, however, and is a little less sensitive in early pregnancy, but at almost 6 months that should not be a problem for you. However, be warned especially at 6 months babies move around quickly and you might hear a heartbeat on one side and then on another a minute later and it's the same baby. I had this happen frequently with my first pregnancy (bought a home use doppler) and I only had one baby.

Anyone know good remedies, other than the classics, for a cold and sore throat? I'm feeling very dehydrated lately, in spite of drinking 12+ cups of water each day. The combination of that with a particularly harsh bug going around has my voice reduces to a squeak!

Anyone know unique pregnant-safe remedies for with a sore throat or dehydration?

Thanks!

Wow.

Well I actually weigh less than I did before I was pregnant, and I'm 23 weeks. My pants(jeans) are very baggy these days. I don't get much of an appetite either. I'm still waiting to have the ravenous appetite that people talk about having when they are pregnant.

I never gained even one pound in any pregnancy and I was never hungry but for the last month. Some people do not gain horrendous amounts of weight or eat everything not nailed down.

Anyone know good remedies, other than the classics, for a cold and sore throat? I'm feeling very dehydrated lately, in spite of drinking 12+ cups of water each day. The combination of that with a particularly harsh bug going around has my voice reduces to a squeak!

Anyone know unique pregnant-safe remedies for with a sore throat or dehydration?

Thanks!

Gargle with warm salt water.

I never gained even one pound in any pregnancy and I was never hungry but for the last month. Some people do not gain horrendous amounts of weight or eat everything not nailed down.

Good to know. I don't eat much, and don't have an appetite. I haven't gained anything as of yet, and I'll be 6 months in 2 weeks, but I do realize that there is a chance I will gain something. It's so interesting how pregnancy differs from person to person.

You're still eating plenty, right ls? Of course if a woman finds it impossible to gain weight and has tried her best, then she shouldn't beat herself up over it. But gaining weight and getting plenty of calories should be One of your top priorities.

When you're weight lifting and trying to gain muscle, it's so, so important to get plenty of calories. So when you're growing a person inside you, just imagine how much more important it is to eat plenty.

You're still eating plenty, right ls? Of course if a woman finds it impossible to gain weight and has tried her best, then she shouldn't beat herself up over it. But gaining weight and getting plenty of calories should be One of your top priorities.

When you're weight lifting and trying to gain muscle, it's so, so important to get plenty of calories. So when you're growing a person inside you, just imagine how much more important it is to eat plenty.

I don't know what eating plenty is. LOL. I just eat when my body tells me I'm hungry, or sometimes I admit I eat when I'm bored(like just now I had a huge bowel of goldfish). I haven't really kept track of how much I'm eating. I just know that the last time I weighed myself I was 5-7 pounds smaller than what I was pre-pregnancy, and that while my stomach is a bit bigger, my pants are very baggy--so much so that I need to go shopping and get a smaller pair. Honestly the same thing happened when I tried to taking birth control(before it was discovered that I could not handle it) I lost weight instead of gaining it. It could be the way the hormones effect my body? I have friends who gained weight in the first trimester, and they were barely eating(throwing up so much) and I didn't understand how they gained. Or I have a friend who eat less than me but she already has gained more weight then I have, and she is only 3.5 months. I think it's just a difference in how the pregnancy hormones effect the body. IDK.

I have a friend whose wife works very little, fails courses time and time again, and loves to spend money. My friend is working a professional job (has a phd) and additionally took on a night time security job just to help pay the mortgage. Earlier this week they'd had a discussion where he told her they had to be really careful with their spending because she hadn't been pulling in any money lately and he was struggling to pay the bills.

So yesterday, his wife comes home with a number of baby items she's purchased! She says they were on for a good price. My friend has no intention of having children until he is in a better financial situation. I think he's completely traumatised. Honestly, this woman lies and steal from him a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if she skipped out on her birth control and then claimed it was an accident. In fact, I'd be surprised if she didn't.

They're going to be pregnant within a year. Mark my words.

So everyone around here got the same cold - an especially harsh one this time. My brother missed several days of work and his work partner was actually hospitalised. My sister and her entire family got it, including their newborn daughter. Of course, for a child under 6 weeks it's quite serious to catch a cold. She's fine now though. My daughter and I both had it. I just couldn't believe how badly it hit everyone.

Just my luck - getting this vicious virus while trying to manage morning sickness.

So an update on the weight gain:

At first, I thought I'd gained 5 lbs. My scale was going higher than it's gone in 4 years! But I think it was just because I was eating such a large volume of food all day and weighing myself at the end of the day. Because I'm now been dealing with the morning sickness for 3 weeks and my scale this morning was normal. It seems like I haven't actually gained a pound during these last 3 weeks.

I'm still keeping up with my weight routine - chin ups, squats, deadlifts, etc. I also walk sometimes at lunch but I don't do the full 1-hour runs that I was doing prior to pregnancy.

Most days it's so hard to make myself do any exercise at all. I'm normally such an energetic person, I hate to sit around and need to be active. Now I just want to sleep ALL the time. (Oh, and did I mention the insomnia?) But I find that I do feel better when I make myself stay active. So I do what I can.

I think it might also have something to do with caffeine withdrawal. I had cut down to about 3/4 cup daily (sometimes less) in preparation for pregnancy. Now I'm down to a small cup each week. I don't eat chocolate or drink coke so my diet is almost caffeine free. I miss the energy.

When your sick while pregnant - like a sinus infection - you can't take anything other than tylenol, can you?

I think they say you can take the basic cold medications but I chose to stick with more natural remedies - humidifier, ginger and honey, salt water, etc. Due to the pregnancy dehydration combined with the throat infection, I had to eat a spoonful of yogurt about every half hour through the night, just to coat my throat. I was also chugging water all night, so using the bathroom about every hour. Needless to say, sleep has been hard to come by lately.

It was perfect. My h joined me. It felt good to answer the doctor's questions, that it was a planned pregnancy, that I did pre-conception planning with my health (stopped drinking, took multivitamins etc. to prepare), etc. I was so blessed to have a complication-free first pregnancy and to be healthy this time around. And to have conceived within 3 months of stopping birth control.

Ive seen friends suffer horribly trying for years to conceive, enduring risky pregnancies and bed rest, abortions and miscarriages... I just feel so blessed tonight and I really feel inspired to give back to the universe.

I was thinking of picking up several bottles of prenatal vitamins and dropping them in the food bank box. Can anyone else think of a simple way I can give back some if my good fortune to other pregnant women? Maybe just driving 1 hour to visit my friend on bed rest would make the most sense.

Yes, you are so lucky and I am happy for you. Dropping vitamins in the food bank box is good, and seeing your friend will be so helpful. Being stuck in bed on bed rest is SO incredibly boring I must say, ( I spent 3 months each time on bed rest) I know visits are appreciated.

Archived