At Home Births

OptomisticGirl

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
link removed

The Business of Being Born

Very good movie, I highly recommend it.

I recommended that movie in another thread on this sub forum - I really liked the movie and it made me decide to have a home birth or birthing centre birth when I have kids, so long as the pregnancy is low risk and running smoothly and all that jazz. The movie is obviously biased but even when taking it with a grain of salt, there is a lot to offer and consider. I especially liked the part about the positioning that hospital beds put you in and the efficacy of other birthing positions.

yeah, if a lot of infant mortality is due to low-income women not getting pre-natal care, then the corollary is that if you are healthy and have had prenatal health care and you have a low-risk pregnancy, then why not stay at home or go to a birthing center? I know with the way hospitals work, they just want you in and out. they don't let you stay for 3 days anymore. If you aren't going into labor fast enough, they give you drugs that make the delivery go faster but more painful. but then other drugs interacted with each other and could slow down the labor. i liked how the movie explained that.

I agree that laying flat on your back doesn't make a lot of sense as far a delivery position.

I know one woman who had an at home birth - she said she felt amazing afterwards.

For those who haven't seen the documentary "The Business of Being Born", I do recommend you get a copy, if for no other reason than just seeing a different side of birthing options and experiences of some women.

Even though, I've seen the documentary, it's good to be informed, there are many other methods of being informed about various different options when it comes to giving birth. If/when I have a child it will be at a hospital. I am a quadruplet, one of the babies died, and I suffered major lung problems and was extremely small when I was born; had my mother not given birth to us at a hospital, I don't think I would have survived.

That article is truly scary and I am afraid there was more emphasis on older moms than really should have been. While older moms pose a risk, I'm sure there's more of a risk (from things I've read) with women who have diabetes or heart disease. I know a couple of heavier women in their 40's who have diabetes but are trying to have babies. This sounds dangerous to me and if I had diabetes or heart disease (or anything high risk) I wouldn't take the chance.

Speaking of low income, I've read studies that mention women who have low incomes tend to either don't see the doctor as much (those uninsured) or those who are on some form of assistance tend to have poorer care because many of these doctors aren't as good. On the other hand women with good insurance have more options, but I've also heard they push these women more often to have c sections. I guess it's because insurance pays more for c sections than if one is on assistance. I've even heard that a 25 year old woman on assistance is often more of a risk than older women with insurance. In this case I'd probably assume there's more issues besides the assistance, such as these women often don't take care of themselves as good as a woman with insurance.

petite - a quadruplet! wow. yes, birthing centers are for the 'straightforward' births - ie, not twins or multiples, mother is healthy, etc... One of my good friends works as a nurse in a birthing center. They have OBs on staff as well. But it is more of a 'homey' atmosphere. I would probably choose to go that route if I had an uncomplicated pregnancy. Not sure that I would have a full 'at home' labor - if for no other reason, I don't want to get blood all over the bed.

link removed

Obesity --- and C-sections. In 2007, 31% of births were by C-section. Which is really too much. i think people forget that it is surgery (which is risky - anesthesia, blood clots, infection, etc... there are a lot of risks with any surgery).

Obesity makes pregnancy in general more dangerous, not just to the point where they would need a c-section. Most obese people have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc, all of which complicate pregnancy. Most of the time it can lead to early labor, pre-term birth. Hence why the US has a lot of pre-term births and a higher infant mortality rate. It's also safer for the baby and mother to have a c-section when the mother is obese because of the pressure on the baby from the weight the mother has and also safer for the mother because of all the complications listed above(high blood pressure, etc), so that they have more control over the situation. The doctor is going to do what is in the best interest of the mother and child. If it is safer to do a c-section, then they should. A pregnant obese woman is considered high risk, there a number of things that can go wrong. Yes, there are possibilities for things to go wrong during surgery, but the benefits of a c-section tend to outweigh the negatives, so they do what they need to to get the baby out safely.

yeah, if a lot of infant mortality is due to low-income women not getting pre-natal care, then the corollary is that if you are healthy and have had prenatal health care and you have a low-risk pregnancy, then why not stay at home or go to a birthing center? I know with the way hospitals work, they just want you in and out. they don't let you stay for 3 days anymore. If you aren't going into labor fast enough, they give you drugs that make the delivery go faster but more painful. but then other drugs interacted with each other and could slow down the labor. i liked how the movie explained that.

I agree that laying flat on your back doesn't make a lot of sense as far a delivery position.

I know one woman who had an at home birth - she said she felt amazing afterwards.

If you want to be upright at the hospital, you just have to let them know and I'd say over 90% of them would be totally fine with it. I've worked in hospitals and in the womens center. If that is your birth plan, they'll follow it(assuming it is within reason, nothing crazy). Women need to speak up if they want something different, some just assume that they'll be made to do it a certain way at the hospital, but you can do things "your way" if you want to. Talk with the doctor and have the labor and delivery as you want to go about it.

but 31% of deliveries being made by c-section? Are all of those C-sections medically necessary?

Well you'd have to see the cases to know for sure.. maybe it was. Maybe many had a number of complications and that was the best way to go. I can't say one way or the other if it was necessary, since I don't know that information. I'd trust the doctor to do what is best for the patient to the best of their knowledge.

Well you'd have to see the cases to know for sure.. maybe it was. Maybe many had a number of complications and that was the best way to go. I can't say one way or the other if it was necessary, since I don't know that information. I'd trust the doctor to do what is best for the patient to the best of their knowledge.

I doubt that 1/3 of births require a C-section. When we as women have everything we need to deliver naturally. Of course there are medical emergencies. but i think that insurance companies play a huge role in this as well - doctors are afraid of getting sued, hospitals want the patients in and out.

link removed

Sometimes the reason they go with a c section when the labor lasts so long is it puts strain on the mom. Mom can't push if she's exhausted from x amount of hours of labor.

my friend who gave birth to the baby at home - she was exhausted from trying to deliver for so long. she actually fell asleep on her bed, and then the baby finally come out when she relaxed enough!

I doubt that 1/3 of births require a C-section. When we as women have everything we need to deliver naturally. Of course there are medical emergencies. but i think that insurance companies play a huge role in this as well - doctors are afraid of getting sued, hospitals want the patients in and out.

link removed

There are many reasons for why a doctor might go for a c-section and many times it is best for the mother and baby. And I'd be afraid of getting sued too. We live in a sue happy society, the smallest thing that happens will cause someone to sue another person. Like the lady who spilled the hot coffee on herself and sued McDonald's... really? People sue over anything, so doctors have to be on edge. They do what they think is best for the patient and baby. They are human too, so they can make mistakes. They also get pressure from a few different sources, some pregnant women push for a c-section and want that over natural birth. There are a lot of factors to consider...

Slightly OT here but I had a crazy dream last night that I got pregnant and FREAKED out (I think I was going to put it toward adoption)...and in it, I had an elective c-section. Not kidding. It was in my dream.

I remember thinking "hey I don't want to 'ruin' my vagina and be in pain" so in the dream I had a C-section.

I wouldn't be surprised if some women opted for it for the same reason. Of course, giving birth doesn't "ruin" the vagina but I can see some women fretting about it. Maybe they just don't want to push it out either. Can't say that I blame them.

I've had vivid nightmares about going through a natural birth and I'll never forget the "feeling" I felt in the dreams. I believe it was realistic. It felt like something was "prying" me open with their hands on both sides and just ripping it. (hey I just got this from a draem but it felt pretty real to me)...I can honestly say, if I ended up pregnant, I'd probably just get the C-section and have a tiny scar.

He may just pass out! Some fathers who watch that just queasy or nervous/filled with emotion and pass out!

My father was in the room when my mother was being operated on for my birth and saw EVERYTHING. He was in the corner of the room in his doctor coat "nervous eating" like 5 sandwiches, a bowl of fruit, chips, and candies. >

Maybe if he wasn't looking in on my mom's C-section, he wouldn't have been so nervous and ate so much. Apparently, he got REALLY fat that day. >

Keep CS away from the candies! My mom learned that lesson.

Do you think he'd pass out if he looks?

No, he probably won't but I would still like for him to be attracted to me after I give birth to his child. I'm sure seeing the babies head stretch me beyond believe is NOT going to sex me up in his eyes. Also, there is the chance you can poop yourself. I would just rather not know if I do or not and I KNOW he would say something as per an inside joke of ours.

He may just pass out! Some fathers who watch that just queasy or nervous/filled with emotion and pass out!

My father was in the room when my mother was being operated on for my birth and saw EVERYTHING. He was in the corner of the room in his doctor coat "nervous eating" like 5 sandwiches, a bowl of fruit, chips, and candies. >

Maybe if he wasn't looking in on my mom's C-section, he wouldn't have been so nervous and ate so much. Apparently, he got REALLY fat that day. >

Keep CS away from the candies! My mom learned that lesson.

lol, I'll have to remember that one.

I'm more worried about giving birth during the World Cup time. I can just see the tv being on while I'm pushing... >.

Archived