At Home Births

OptomisticGirl

Times have changed and I am glad they have. Today's women can vote and have careers and choose whether they want to be married to not or even have children. Just because a woman might prefer to have a painless childbirth I don't think it's fair to call her wimpy.

There are women who have a completely natural birth and end up horrible mothers, sell their daughter to prostitution, abuse them and whatever else, and there are those who require an epidural or a c-section and these women can be love and caring, it really has nothing to do with how they gave birth, but rather what type of people they are.

I agree with Petite. Women may have been going thousands of years with no pain medication, no c sections, and no comfy hospital rooms, but that doesn't mean I have to. We have evolved as humans, it's only natural HOW we give birth evolves as well with technology. As Petite said, to say how you give birth determines what kind of mother you are is ridiculous. I have no threshold for pain, therefore I will be in a comfy hospital bed, surrounded by doctors, with an epidural. Does this mean I'm a horrible potential mother because I don't want to 'endure pain' for my child? Absolutely not. If women want to go all natural more power to them. It's not me though.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Petite. Women may have been going thousands of years with no pain medication, no c sections, and no comfy hospital rooms, but that doesn't mean I have to. We have evolved as humans, it's only natural HOW we give birth evolves as well with technology. As Petite said, to say how you give birth determines what kind of mother you are is ridiculous. I have no threshold for pain, therefore I will be in a comfy hospital bed, surrounded by doctors, with an epidural. Does this mean I'm a horrible potential mother because I don't want to 'endure pain' for my child? Absolutely not. If women want to go all natural more power to them. It's not me though.

I agree.

I'll definitely be in a hospital! I was born by emergency c-section and would most certainly have died with out the professional medical care I received. Medical advanced are a gift and one I'll want readily available should my baby need it- I'm not scared of having to have a c- section at all. I'm also not too scared of the pain and won't be having an epidural- the needle scares me more!!

I agree.

I'll definitely be in a hospital! I was born by emergency c-section and would most certainly have died with out the professional medical care I received. Medical advanced are a gift and one I'll want readily available should my baby need it- I'm not scared of having to have a c- section at all. I'm also not too scared of the pain and won't be having an epidural- the needle scares me more!!

This is my thing, I'm afraid of them to. As long as I don't watch them prep for whatever they are sticking me for I'm fine but yeah. And you already have to be still when they inject you.

i can agree with petite and bella when the time comes to have my baby i want to be in a hospital in-case anything goes wrong could you imagine your baby getting stuck half way though your labour and you needed to get to hospital because you were at home.

I have a medium pain threshold so i'm hoping to without pain relief unless it gets alittle too painful then i'll only be having half an epidural as i hate being sick so that counts out gas and air and most of the other pain relief drugs because if i was sick i wouldnt be focused on pushing out baby.

Does this make me a bad mother-to-be no way i love kids i have helped to bring up my younger sister when my mum got depression and i use to work in a nursery as thats what i studied at college to do.

I think that judging a woman on how she gives birth is wrong if she can handle the pain then great for her but if not then it doesnt make her a bad mum it just means she has a low pain threshold it all depends on what type of person you are.

And the main reason for this tread i noticed was about how painful labour is an not about if your going to be a good mum or not by the way you give birth.

I would have loved to be at home,but I can not do to circumstances that I have a high chance of death by hemorrhage when giving birth and almost died when my son was born and again when I lost my other son. I would have LOVED to be at home though. It would have been much more comfortable and natural experience. I HATED the hospital. It was hot,noisy,the bed was not my own. They wanted to keep me 5 days and I signed myself out after 3 and left I could not take it anymore.

My brother's wife had 2 of her daughters at home and said it was the best experience of her life. She loved it. She was comfortable and happy and had her family around her.

This is my thing, I'm afraid of them to. As long as I don't watch them prep for whatever they are sticking me for I'm fine but yeah. And you already have to be still when they inject you.

It's not as bad as you think.. I've had an epidural before and when I saw the needle I kind of freaked out, but then as they were putting it in, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And the pain relief from it was great! Though mine was not for labor, I had it for post-surgery pain relief when I had surgery on my hip and thigh.

I definitely will be in a hospital when I give birth. I want the safety of knowing both myself and my child can get treatment immediately in case something goes wrong. I was rushed off to the NICU when I was born, so I am very glad my mother had me in the hospital. If she didn't, I would not have made it..

It's not as bad as you think.. I've had an epidural before and when I saw the needle I kind of freaked out, but then as they were putting it in, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And the pain relief from it was great! Though mine was not for labor, I had it for post-surgery pain relief when I had surgery on my hip and thigh.

I definitely will be in a hospital when I give birth. I want the safety of knowing both myself and my child can get treatment immediately in case something goes wrong. I was rushed off to the NICU when I was born, so I am very glad my mother had me in the hospital. If she didn't, I would not have made it..

Oh yeah once they get the needle in me I am good to go. I can give blood all day long with having a fear of needles as long as I don't watch them prep me or the needle. I watch that, they have to hold me down to stick it in. But once it's in, I'm good to go.

I loved seeing the needle ready to relieve my labor pains. No way would I have wanted a home birth and thank goodness I didn't because with my maternal fever and the baby's erratic heartbeat I am so glad that they were able to do a c-section right there - of course I was disappointed and of course I've heard of hospitals doing too many c-sections but all I know is that once the decision was made to do a c, it was done in under an hour and he was here and beautiful!

Women have been giving birth for thousands of years. We are the only ones who can give birth to another human, our bodies are MADE FOR IT!! Today's women want it all with no fuss, "I can't take pain", "I don't want a mess", etc... Jeeze! Do you even want to be mothers at all? Pain is part of life, you can't avoid it altogether. If you think giving birth is hard, wait until you bring the baby home. I sometimes went 48- 72 hours without sleep and breastfed for a year (now THAT can get a tad uncomfortable!) Being a mom isn't for wimps, but I highly recommend it! Love will take on a whole new meaning to you.

Women have also been dying in childbirth for thousands of years lets not forget! In the third world birth is one of the leading causes of death for young women. If I decided to have kids, I may decide on a home birth but luckily for me I live right inbetween two major hospitals, one of which happens to be a childrens hospital so I'd feel safer knowing that help was closeby if something went wrong (Accident and emergency's a 15 minute walk from my flat). If I was further away, I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk it. As someone else said, I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong and it harmed my baby.

Oh yeah once they get the needle in me I am good to go. I can give blood all day long with having a fear of needles as long as I don't watch them prep me or the needle. I watch that, they have to hold me down to stick it in. But once it's in, I'm good to go.

I am terrified of needles and even knowing it's going in there would freak me out.

I am terrified of needles and even knowing it's going in there would freak me out.

When you are in that much pain, I doubt you will care and will only want relief. I've seen that happen with a number of pregnant women when I volunteered in the womens center of the hospital. Before labor got bad, she said she didn't want an epidural and was afraid of needles. 4 hours later, she was screaming for one! lol. I know they can look scary, but it is so worth it to get the pain relief.

i don't think that this is an all or nothing issue - there are many in betweens - including birthing centers. Or some people choose to do a home birth with a nurse, and a plan to get to the hospital if the birth is not going well. The US has one of the highest infant mortality rates for a developed country, in part because of medical intervention and C-sections and drugs to get the baby out faster, etc.

link removed

yeah, we're worse than cuba!!!!

I wouldn't have an at home birth, under any circumstances. Personally, I think it's risky and stupid.

I know from experience that if something goes wrong, seriously wrong, at the hospital, there's people right there within a few minutes at most to do their best to save you.

At home, you have a midwife that is able to call an ambulance, which may or may not get there within 10-20 minutes.

That's 20 minutes for your baby to start breathing, that it won't.

i don't think that this is an all or nothing issue - there are many in betweens - including birthing centers. Or some people choose to do a home birth with a nurse, and a plan to get to the hospital if the birth is not going well. The US has one of the highest infant mortality rates for a developed country, in part because of medical intervention and C-sections and drugs to get the baby out faster, etc.

link removed

yeah, we're worse than cuba!!!!

Umm, wikipedia is NOT a reliable source... at all. And there are many factors that go into what causes infant mortality, so there are many things to consider. America has a high rate of obesity, which is a factor to consider.

Umm, wikipedia is NOT a reliable source... at all. And there are many factors that go into what causes infant mortality, so there are many things to consider. America has a high rate of obesity, which is a factor to consider.

I will find a more reliable source tonight. But I guarantee that America, despite have an excellent medical education system, has a very high rate of infant mortality and death of the mother during the delivery. I don't think that this is about obesity, as much as medical procedures being performed on the mother during delivery. Many doctors are afraid to let the mother delivery vaginally because they are afraid of being sued for malpractice.

I'm not a doctor but I see a few trends with people I know who had babies and why we have the mortality rate we do. For one c sections are definitely a problem. I've known people who got automatic c sections for reasons they shouldn't always have to. Doctors are often quick to do them. Also, the whole inducing babies so the doctor can have a day off from work is another problem. I remember reading once that having a baby on certain days means more likely to be induced or c sections. In addition we don't have a great insurance system and most mothers are released very soon after delivery. While in MOST cases this is fine, there's often an underlying problem not caught. I knew a few women who developed serious infections and had to have a hysterectomy right after birth. Not to mention all the issues we have about pollution and assorted problems.

Not to mention hospitals are hot beds of disease and every infection going. I avoid them like the plague if I can. All these super bugs and this that and the other flu. Hello it is full of SICK people. I would much rather have a baby in a house that I know is pretty clean and not full of every infectious disease of the world.

Not to mention hospitals are hot beds of disease and every infection going. I avoid them like the plague if I can. All these super bugs and this that and the other flu. Hello it is full of SICK people. I would much rather have a baby in a house that I know is pretty clean and not full of every infectious disease of the world.

This is off topic, but my mother contracted mrsa in a hospital and that was just as deadly as her having had a stroke. When she was in the hospital I caught a very nasty flu that I had on and off for almost a month. I've heard of many people getting sicker in the hospital.

link removed

link removed

2 different sources. From the Centers from Disease Control and the CIA. I'd say they are reliable sources.

US is 28th in the world for infant mortality. I'd say that's pretty bad.

The US has a very diverse cultural population, along with that comes the possibility for different medical complications. Certain races are predisposed to certain complications. The differences between races and the treatment they receive is pretty wide. Also, the biggest factor for infant mortality in the US is because of preterm birth, which is preventable by the mothers in most cases if she gets medical care regularly. Obesity can cause preterm labor, so that is part of the problem and we do have an obesity epidemic.

Archived