athletic club with pools

I think it's not a bad deal. I have a membership to a gym without anything like a pool or yoga classes. It's like $30 or $35 a month, just for weight equipment, treadmills, elipticals. Not even a running track! I would definitely pay $40 for a gym membership with a pool.

I think that's pretty reasonable. I pay $30 a month for mine, but I have a limited membership (meaning I can't go to the club during peak hours of 4pm-7:30pm during the week and 8am-11am on Saturdays). Mine has group fitness classes (like Yoga, and Kickboxing) cardio rooms, weight rooms, shower, sauna, etc. but no pool. I think the full membership to by club is more like $45/50, but I get the cheaper one because it's not too hard for me to work around those hours.

Thing is, I do have a pool and small workout room in my apt building, but the pool is FREEZING (not heated). I do swim downstairs in our pool during the summer, but it gets crowded with kids.

I mainly am looking for a place to be able to swim (I swim with a kickboard, I know kinda lame). They also offer swim classes (with membership it is 30% off).

I dunno. I probably should be trying to save money, not spend it.

I pay about $100 for a six month membership to a gym that has a pool, classes (I take aerobics and yoga), a fitness room, a gym and a racquetball couty). Why so cheap? Because it's at my the school where I received my Masters and I get an alumni discount.

Thing is, I do have a pool and small workout room in my apt building, but the pool is FREEZING (not heated). I do swim downstairs in our pool during the summer, but it gets crowded with kids.

I mainly am looking for a place to be able to swim (I swim with a kickboard, I know kinda lame). They also offer swim classes (with membership it is 30% off).

I dunno. I probably should be trying to save money, not spend it.

I would go with the freebies if it were me. Last time I had a gym membership, about 4 yrs. ago, I paid $40 a month for it.

That's about the standard price for memberships nowadays.

Although my membership is currently on hold (at no fee) when I do pay I pay $30 monthly for access to all facilities at Goodlife in Canada. However, I should mention I have been a member since 2001 and they have since increased my fee slightly once or twice.

that episode is funny.

Is it that hard to quit a gym membership?

Yeah, it is pretty difficult to quit the gym. My mom transferred her Bally's membership to me several years ago (she's been a member since 1987, so I got a pretty good rate, about $230 a year). Of all the years I've been a member, I barely ever went to the gym.

In fact, I tried to cancel my membership last year, and they gave me the whole runaround - conversation verbatim - "You can never cancel your membership with us. You just can't step into another Bally's again. If you do decide to come back to us, i.e. within 3 years from now, you will owe us the fee for the 3 years that you didn't go". What the hell? I renewed it just to save the hassle.

However, the whole year that I renewed it, I did not go to the gym ONCE. Therefore, I called again recently (membership was up), and I argued with the customer service guy and told him that there is no sense for me to renew if they check my history, I did not go once so it's pointless. They tried to get me not to cancel, but I was persistent, so I guess they finally gave in and told me that I had to send a letter to let them know that I wished to cancel.

If your friend or someone with a gym membership ask them if you can piggy back on the account, usually family/friends membership get a discount. That's what I did with 24hr Fitness before I moved. Instead of $45 a month it was $99 deposit and came to $17 a month after tax.

One thing you might want to check into is saltwater pool vs. traditional chlorine filled pool. Some people find the chlorine bothers their skin, eyes, etc.

I think the price has to do a lot with where you live. I've paid as little as $35 to as much as $150 per month for a gym/athletic club that had a pool and classes. The cheaper membership was in a much smaller city than the more expensive one.

Archived