Living with parents - the threshold

Bl1tzkitchen

I just turned 20 recently and am currently commuting to community college from home. This will probably continue for another half year or so.

But I sometimes feel insecure about living at home full time at my age. :splat:

Is it unreasonable to think my living situation would be a turn off for a serious relationship? How many other people my age live at home (not counting summers/holidays)?

I moved out at 19, learned that hard way, and was put in a position where I had to move back home at 21, believe me, at times like these, theres no reason to think that a girl would find it a turnoff, especially while your in school, once you get out of college and start a career, stay home and save your money until your financially prepared.

I think that until you're out of college, its cool to live at home. Though I only live at home during summers/holidays because I go to school living in the dorms b/c its accross the country. But I think that as long as you're in school, and even a little after you graduate while you're sorting yourself out, its totally acceptable to live at home.

20 is no big deal. I'm sure everyone would like to move out, but sometimes, due to finances it is very difficult. If I kids and they were in their twenties, I would have no prroblem with them living at home if they were at school.. or even if they had some other reason.

I lived at home the first bit of university. My parents couldn't afford to help me out with tuition, but that's they way they could, I guess, by letting me live at home when I wasn't making any money.

I moved out at 19, learned that hard way, and was put in a position where I had to move back home at 21, believe me, at times like these, theres no reason to think that a girl would find it a turnoff, especially while your in school, once you get out of college and start a career, stay home and save your money until your financially prepared.

Agreed. Even after college is good. When I graduate I plan on going back home if only for a few months to get my life together. Make sure I get a steady job and money saved for an apartment. Its especially okay if you're IN school currently.

I'm out of college now, and have been living at home since graduation.. it sucks.. and I'm miserable because of it... I also feel VERY insecure about it, and it effects just about all aspects of my relationships (romantic and friendship).... my finances are not in order, so alas.... here I stay....

I do know a lot of people that quickly left their house, and now are moving back in with their parents, so I figure its not a bad idea to save money and pay off my debt~

But in the changing climate, I really can't see the point in moving out unless you have some HUGE financial steam behind you. My parents didn't mind me moving out when I did (and from the sounds of it, compared to the other posters here at 27 I was a late bloomer) but I was the last of my siblings to move out and the only one NOT to move back. In this day and age, rent isn't that much lower than a mortgage (in Canada anyway) so it's very difficult to get the down payment for a house while you have rent to pay plus a host of other expenses.

At the stage in the game, I know of three different people who stayed home, after school/college and then saved up enough and bought a house. Sure an apartment does make you look like an individual and not a mama's boy (or girl) when you are in your mid to late 20's. But times have changed drastically, and without proper planning, a house can be a very difficult affair.

The ball is of course in your court as I had these very same thoughts myself when I was at home, however, had I stayed home a little bit longer, I would have had a house sooner.

I never understood why people have this mind set of "you've got to move out when you're 18", or whatever. Where does that come from? lol. Seriously, it's really no big deal (imo). If your parents are happy having you home, then stay home.

But I believe it came from our parents generation when expenses wheren't so high and one had to be an absolute moron with money not to buy a house. My MIL will sometimes brag that her house was only $21,000 when they bought it years ago. I saw a plaque at my FIL's house which had all the costs of necissities (sp?) for that year. I think it was dated for 1965 or so and a person could LITERALLY save every cent they made in one year and buy a house OUTRIGHT.

Maybe this is only in Canada, why things where this way, but I'm willing to bet they aren't this way now pretty much anywhere in the developed world. So yes I agree that we need to change to the new set of circumstances.

I never understood why people have this mind set of "you've got to move out when you're 18", or whatever. Where does that come from? lol. Seriously, it's really no big deal (imo). If your parents are happy having you home, then stay home.

Because years and years ago, you were expected to be married and out of the house once you finished high school.

Gonna tell ya what they told me,

"Get your schooling together, stay at home while you can & save that money!

Stay focused in those books and get that degree to help you out down the road. It's cool to socialize and mingle with the ladies, sometimes, but don't let them be a distraction to you.

If you date anybody and they look at you like your crazy cause your living at home and your in school, tell em to get lost."

Archived