does class difference matter to you?

Elsewhere

Would job/education/income/nationality prevent you from considering a relationship with a person?

Say you are a lawyer and she's an aspiring actress working as a waitress... Or you come from a well situated family and she was modestly raised by a single mother...

All other things being equal (like interests, intelligence etc.) - how much would social status of a person determine wheather pursue or drop???

I don't mind those things.

I don't know how much you know about military status, but my dad is a naval officer (very well to do off minimum bachelors degree) and my bf is enlisted. The lower ranks of the navy (no college degree). He is however very smart and getting out of the navy soon to go to school. but when we started dating all I knew was that he was enlisted. Didn't stop me. We get along great and thats what matters.

Also, he is Creek and I am German. His grandma doesn't like Germans because thats how she was raised. His religion doesn't approve of me because I wasn't baptized there.

But in the end we feel we are happy together and thats what matters.

Some of the happiest couples I know have little education and money.

I would hope it wouldn't matter to me no matter what. Judging others never makes us better than anyone.

Lost

Lost, you are such an amazing person. I like all your posts. Your wife has lost a great great man...

to the thread starter, it should not matter as long as you have something in common and probably same long term goals.

I think the values of the people in a relationship need to gel. So if one was hugely into education and the other was not, there might be an issue. Or if one loved to spend money but did not work and the other loved to save money and was the breadwinner.

For me, it's the same as for SunshineGirl03. I need someone with a similar drive (and similar laziness) and who shares my values. If that person is from a lower 'class' it's not really an issue. What is that anyway though - for many of us here we don't live in societies where class prescribes outcomes; class is not an issue, not really, it's the drive and attitude toward employment and ambition. That's more culture and personality than class.

I don't look at it as "class difference". I see all people as equal. However, as far as a mate, since I am highly educated and career-motivated, that is what I am looking for in a partner. It doesn't mean that I thumb my nose at someone who doesn't have a university education or is not career-motivated...I certainly have friends and acquaintances who have not been to university or who have been to university but are not career motivated. However, a life-long partner is a different matter..education and career are important values for me and is a part of what I am looking for in a partner. It is just like someone who is very into the physically active lifestyle, skiing, tennis, hiking, cycling etc who is looking for someone who is like-minded.

Job- I would have a problem with dating guys from certain occupations. I don't want someone who has to work at night or has to take their work home with them. Anything that required them to be "on call" would be out for me too. Also, nothing where injuries are likely. I dated a guy in a job like that and I got sick of all the complaining about being in pain.

Education- I intend to get a master's degree and ideally he would be similarly educated. I get along better with other educated guys, particularly those who have been in closely related fields of study. Math majors need not apply.

Income- Since I'm still in school and don't have a job, I couldn't specify a particular income I wanted him to have. Once I'm out of school, I would like it to be similar to mine or higher. I don't want to have to support him.

Nationality- Having a different nationality doesn't bother me, but being from a vastly different culture does. I'm liberal minded and I wouldn't get along well with someone who believes that women ought to have a set role in the household and in society.

Would job/education/income/nationality prevent you from considering a relationship with a person?

Job: Most likely not unless it was something that in some way conflicted with my beliefs. I do have a preference that the guy share a similar schedule, similar aspirations in his career. But if it's the right guy, job is mostly not so important (except for the beliefs thing)

Education: Yeah, I have to admit, I'm biased on education to some extent. Mainly because education is so important to me. However, if the guy was smart, had good business sense, and so on, that counts too. What would be a bad fit is someone who cared nothing about learning or had lower than average intelligence or simply could not think or communicate.

Income: Mixed feelings on this. I don't want to have to support someone else as it would be financially crippling. If he earns enough to support himself, that's probably all I would ask. It would be nice to have someone that earns more than me for a change, though, just because I suspect it would give me more freedom to pursue new opportunities in my career (and vice versa)

Nationality: Yeah, definitely. Cultural, religious, and family values differences would matter to me quite a bit. There would be some nationalities that would be a bad match for me.

I would say the single biggest discriminator for me is political views. I could never date someone who had opposite political views from me on major fundamental core issues.

I don't mind those things.

I don't know how much you know about military status, but my dad is a naval officer (very well to do off minimum bachelors degree) and my bf is enlisted. The lower ranks of the navy (no college degree). He is however very smart and getting out of the navy soon to go to school. but when we started dating all I knew was that he was enlisted. Didn't stop me. We get along great and thats what matters.

Also, he is Creek and I am German. His grandma doesn't like Germans because thats how she was raised. His religion doesn't approve of me because I wasn't baptized there.

But in the end we feel we are happy together and thats what matters.

Oh man, my father would hunt me down and hang me if he caught me with an enlisted man!! I was raised the daughter of a high ranking officer (post commander on at least 4 occasions) and my parents would chase me off if they even caught me casually talking to the son or daughter of enlisted parents. Of course with my dad's rank, that was to avoid favoritism and gossip, but at the time I didn't get it.

For those of you who want someone with higher education, do you realize that some people did not have the same opportunities and upbringing as you? There are many very intelligent people who may only have a bachelors or a few years in a bachelors, mostly because of money woes.

Just a heads up to anyone out there who is judging someone based on their education level.

I was accepted into the university of my dreams and was not allowed to go because my parents are sexist.

I know my situation is special, but there are many others out there like me.

My husband is college educated (masters) and on the same level as me. Basically neither of us feel that the other is more intelligent. I am now just trying to get some credits through a community college. At least I'm still young and can still catch up, but I know there's people like me who don't have a supporting SO like mine.

Archived