love, age and dating

musicguy

I don't know if this would go under Age Gap Relationships or not, but I'm just curious about this, but what would be considered an "age appropriate" relationship? I know that when it comes to sex, if you are an adult having sex with a girl under 18 is a no-no. What about dating. Let's say a 17 year old girl dates a 22 year old male, is that "legal"? or a 16 year old and a 22 year old. How about a 16 year old and a 27 year old? If one is an "adult" would dating a girl who's 16-17 years old "illegal"? or just majorly creepy? What are your thoughts about big age gap relationships? Hope this makes sense.

I know that when it comes to sex, if you are an adult having sex with a girl under 18 is a no-no. What about dating.

How about a 16 year old and a 27 year old? If one is an "adult" would dating a girl who's 16-17 years old "illegal"? or just majorly creepy? .

I have nothing against age gap relationships when BOTH parties are ADULTS.

So yes, a 27 year old guy going after a 16 year old is what I would put in the "creepy" category. As a parent, I can't for the life of me imagine my young daughter hanging around a 27 year old. I would make sure I know his every move!!! lol.

Seriously, I think in cases such as these, it's best you stick to your own age group and leave the kids/teens alone - at least until they reach the age of 18. (I'll probably get flamed for this).

I'll just be frank and say, as far as my personal feelings and thoughts go, this creeps me out. The protective, fightsy part of me rears up big time.

It's all too close to the line of abuse. Those aren't healthy relationships in my opinion - ever. At the least, they are naive and based on some delusions. At worst, there is manipulation and/or abuse going on. Either way, there is a big chance for someone to get hurt - and usually it's the younger, the teenager, the one who thinks they are a grown up and wants to be a grown up but is really still in transition, still a child.

For any adult to step in there and try to assume the role and put on the fantasy that it is two adults in an adult relationship, I just don't buy it. Age does matter.

I don't know if this would go under Age Gap Relationships or not, but I'm just curious about this, but what would be considered an "age appropriate" relationship? I know that when it comes to sex, if you are an adult having sex with a girl under 18 is a no-no. What about dating. Let's say a 17 year old girl dates a 22 year old male, is that "legal"? or a 16 year old and a 22 year old. How about a 16 year old and a 27 year old? If one is an "adult" would dating a girl who's 16-17 years old "illegal"? or just majorly creepy? What are your thoughts about big age gap relationships? Hope this makes sense.

I'm with Itsallgrand on this.

I'll just be frank and say, as far as my personal feelings and thoughts go, this creeps me out. The protective, fightsy part of me rears up big time.

I think if the girl or guy is under 16 yrs old you could get arrested in some places if sexual intercourse took place and someone (parent) reports it.

I can't help it but I get a bit mad when I see older guys (23+ yr olds) "preying" on girls who are 13 even or 16. I get a bit protective, even though when you think about it, these girls will probably end up having sex with guys close to their age anyways if they're open to having it with an older guy right?.

But how much can a 16 yr old girl and 24/30 yr old guy really have in common? I was so much different and had a different mindset just 3 yrs back. Imagine when I was 16.

Both people are in different stages of their lives hopefully trying to get ahead and grow.

Big age gap relationships like a 25 yr old guy and 45 yr old woman.. I'm cool with that as well as vice versa. I can't help but think they don't have as much in common, but I do think it can work. I've seen it work.. I just wonder what it will be like though when one is 50 and the other s 30 and wants kids. Or when the older one dies first. Must be something hard to deal with for the younger one. But that's all long term relationship issues. Not when you're just dating.

Once a girl is over 18 I don't feel she's an adult, but I think she's on her way to learning to make her own decisions.

Also, sometimes I have noticed that when a younger girl dates an older guy, he tends to manipulate more easy due to his experience/age and be more dominant.

Hi,

A friend of mine has this quick formula for working out how old a person should be, half your age plus seven years so a 27 year old guy should be dating 20 year old girls. Seems to work, and doesn't get you into to much trouble. The main concern I would have is how the person thinks, there is a great deal of difference between a 18 year old and a 20 year old, and a 20 year old and a 22 year old. I work with a number of younger (read early twenties) and I am older than them and have a completely different view of the world, indeed a completely different philosophy. Having said that even some of the older staff I work with have a similar philosophy. In the end it comes down to how you relate to people (in both work and love relationships) . In New Zealand the age of consent is 16, so you would be OK - an old Greek saying "people but they forget to tell one another"

Edmund

if you're concerned of the legal issues, you definitely must be familiar with the statutes. nevertheless, i learned that chronological or biological age is different from one's psychological age. a girl of age 14 may have the maturity of a 20 year old, depending on family background/upbringing, the roles she assumed, problems encountered, experiences, etc. having said that, i guess no one can really tell who's right for who and on what age. if they can make a relationship work, let them be. i personally prefer someone who's at least 3 years older than i am. i am currently dating someone who's 6 years older. we really get along well, probably because we have the same maturity level.

Archived