Do you ever feel this way?

Rose21

Rose, people change drastically in their 20s...christ, I'm 22 and a completely different person than I was at 19/20. I was also engaged at 19. Am I married now? No freaking way.

No one is talking down to you. Need to get so defensive.

Yeah, but if someone had told you that your engagement wouldn't last when you were 19, would you have nodded wisely and agreed with them??

I just think that NONE of us would have thought our first loves wouldn't last, no matter what anyone said. And you know what? For a (very very) few of us, first loves do last - well, they must do for some, anyhow, lol!

I just think that if anyone had said to us aged 19 that we were not going to last with our then love of our lives, we would have been SOOOOOOO indignant, lol.

Rose, people change drastically in their 20s...christ, I'm 22 and a completely different person than I was at 19/20. I was also engaged at 19. Am I married now? No freaking way.

No one is talking down to you. Need to get so defensive.

Yeah, but if someone had told you that your engagement wouldn't last when you were 19, would you have nodded wisely and agreed with them??

I just think that NONE of us would have thought our first loves wouldn't last, no matter what anyone said. And you know what? For a (very very) few of us, first loves do last - well, they must do for some, anyhow, lol!

I just think that if anyone had said to us aged 19 that we were not going to last with our then love of our lives, we would have been SOOOOOOO indignant, lol.

i wasn't engaged, but i had a marriage license. we intended on getting married. we had only gotten that so we could get a place together. i thought i was going to be with her forever. i was saturated with love. i would have told you anything to prove it too. i did anything and everything for her.

just crazy now that i look back on that.

i wasn't engaged, but i had a marriage license. we intended on getting married. we had only gotten that so we could get a place together. i thought i was going to be with her forever. i was saturated with love. i would have told you anything to prove it too. i did anything and everything for her.

Crazy but nice. I think everyone KNOWS that first love is a tender plant that often dies at the first frost - but god it's exhilerating!

People told me I wouldn't last with my first love and I didn't believe them. Now 7 years later I can say they were right even though I didn't think it then. I don't think anyone is telling Rose she and her boyfriend won't last. I think people are just telling her be prepared if it doesn't b/c you change so quickly in such a short time that you can never be too sure of anything.

Hersmudders, that's true - and to be honest, I think there is a lot of sense in this thread of the more you proclaim something to be just so, the greater the fall when it falls apart. I do get that! I just think back to my first boyfriend, and I would not have cared less that OTHER people didn't make it, I was positive that we would and our love would be eternal....lol. Embarrassing really, but sweet. A bittersweet memory.

nobody said her relationship will fail. she asked if we've ever felt the way she does (her OP) and we replied with our experience...

Yeah, I can see that. I'm all nostalgic now about the past

But it's nice that Rose is so happy with her relationship - I wish I could have written a post like that today, to be honest.

Crazy but nice. I think everyone KNOWS that first love is a tender plant that often dies at the first frost - but god it's exhilerating!

People told me I wouldn't last with my first love and I didn't believe them. Now 7 years later I can say they were right even though I didn't think it then. I don't think anyone is telling Rose she and her boyfriend won't last. I think people are just telling her be prepared if it doesn't b/c you change so quickly in such a short time that you can never be too sure of anything.

Hersmudders, that's true - and to be honest, I think there is a lot of sense in this thread of the more you proclaim something to be just so, the greater the fall when it falls apart. I do get that! I just think back to my first boyfriend, and I would not have cared less that OTHER people didn't make it, I was positive that we would and our love would be eternal....lol. Embarrassing really, but sweet. A bittersweet memory.

nobody said her relationship will fail. she asked if we've ever felt the way she does (her OP) and we replied with our experience...

Yeah, I can see that. I'm all nostalgic now about the past

But it's nice that Rose is so happy with her relationship - I wish I could have written a post like that today, to be honest.

I would be concerned about my mental health/ maturity if after one year I didn't change according to the experiences that I made in that year, in the same fashion I would want any relationship to mature/ change over time.

Rose, let's assume that your relationship will last, but I am sure even then in a few years you will look back and say that you could not have known at the time how lucky/ exceptional your situation is/ might be.

Nobody can foretell the future. Anyone can only state at a certain specific time that under the given circumstances/ emotional make up he/she has the 100% intention to commit to this relationship. Time will only tell the outcome.

Nobody can tell you Rose, that your relationship won't last or if you are the exception to the rule.

Like you expect from people to respect your position and give you the right to be young and hopeful that this relationship will last, you have to respect other people's experiences.

In some ways your OP and other posts sound like you are trying to imply that you are 'better' than anyone who has not managed to make their first love last. Truth be told, you only have intentions so far, you still have to prove to yourself that you are really able to maintain this relationship no matter what life throws at you.

I truly wish for you that you will be happy for ever, and you should enjoy every happy second of this relationship as long as it lasts.

I would be concerned about my mental health/ maturity if after one year I didn't change according to the experiences that I made in that year, in the same fashion I would want any relationship to mature/ change over time.

Rose, let's assume that your relationship will last, but I am sure even then in a few years you will look back and say that you could not have known at the time how lucky/ exceptional your situation is/ might be.

Nobody can foretell the future. Anyone can only state at a certain specific time that under the given circumstances/ emotional make up he/she has the 100% intention to commit to this relationship. Time will only tell the outcome.

Nobody can tell you Rose, that your relationship won't last or if you are the exception to the rule.

Like you expect from people to respect your position and give you the right to be young and hopeful that this relationship will last, you have to respect other people's experiences.

In some ways your OP and other posts sound like you are trying to imply that you are 'better' than anyone who has not managed to make their first love last. Truth be told, you only have intentions so far, you still have to prove to yourself that you are really able to maintain this relationship no matter what life throws at you.

I truly wish for you that you will be happy for ever, and you should enjoy every happy second of this relationship as long as it lasts.

lol, no of course not. Always listen to your mother--mother is always right!! She told me time and time again I was wasting my time and he wasn't "the one" for me... but I was too arrogant about it all to believe her.

I'm still floored by how much I've changed in just a few years. My outlook on things is so incredibly different.

lol, no of course not. Always listen to your mother--mother is always right!! She told me time and time again I was wasting my time and he wasn't "the one" for me... but I was too arrogant about it all to believe her.

I'm still floored by how much I've changed in just a few years. My outlook on things is so incredibly different.

Yes, and that's only three years. What if I were to tell you that the changes between you and how you'll be in 15 years time is MASSIVE, and that you are going to change so much between 22 and 37! It's as big a transformation again

Yes, and that's only three years. What if I were to tell you that the changes between you and how you'll be in 15 years time is MASSIVE, and that you are going to change so much between 22 and 37! It's as big a transformation again

I would say I'm sure you're right, based on how people told me I'd change after 19 and how I didn't believe them but know now it was true. So I'm sure I'll continue to grow and change.

I would say I'm sure you're right, based on how people told me I'd change after 19 and how I didn't believe them but know now it was true. So I'm sure I'll continue to grow and change.

It's unnerving is all I'm saying...

Obviously I'm still the same, well-adjusted pumpkin that I was when I was 20, just a bit more wrinkly around the orange bits.

I almost always feel content in my relationship.

What can I say? He's my rock. The only person and situation that is truly stable in my life. My family is full of unpredictable and manic persons. My friends and activities are constantly changing. Heck, my major, which I thought was set in stone, is changing.

I know it sounds pathetic (and it kind of is)....but, I spend my whole day trying to get through it as quickly (and painlessly) as possible, just so I can climb into bed and call him as soon in a day as possible.

Oddly enough...our relationship happened over a series of (at the time) horrible events that somehow led us together. I'd like to think that all the bad things in my life just led me to him. That they were meant to be. It's nice to think that way.

Wow I haven't read a post like this from you before.

And yes, I also almost always feel this way. We've been together for almost 16 months or so and every week or more we reminisc about when we first began dating. Just when we're lying around we'll be like "wow.. we've been together X amount of time and before we know it it'll be 2 years.. We're so lucky".

This is both of ours first long term relationship. So it's a big deal.

And yes, I also almost always feel this way. We've been together for almost 16 months or so and every week or more we reminisc about when we first began dating. Just when we're lying around we'll be like "wow.. we've been together X amount of time and before we know it it'll be 2 years.. We're so lucky".

You haven't? I have them all over the place!

You haven't? I have them all over the place!

Haha.. No I mean of course I have read similar posts (+but haven't been as much on ENA lately so I miss alot of posts, etc). I mean stuff like how you can't wait to get thru the day crawl into bed and call him asap. It's romantic when people admit stuff like that.

my SO and I do this all the time, I absolutely love the feeling..

Yes I know!

Never before have I met someone I could be so at ease with before.

I mean, with past relationships sometimes I had to pretend to be someone I wasn't, I'd hold of on doing things that came natural to me in fear of loosing them, and I ALWAYS did the most work. I was always the more interested one. That's a horrible way to live and maintain a relationship.

Before I met my boyfriend, I made a promise to myself I wouldn't settle or compromise my standards for a guy. I wasn't going to work for a relationship, it would just come naturally while I sat back and relaxed. The guy would love and accept me for EVERYTHING I am. Good mood, bad mood, paranoid, psycho, sick, * * * * * y, etc.

And before I knew it, when I wasn't even looking, he came along=) And I couldn't be happier!

Jeckel, this too is also me and my boyfriend's first LTR. This is also his first for everything (sexual wise past kissing) and his first love. I've been in love ONCE before.

But it was VERY shortlived. Nothing what I feel now=)

Archived