Men: A Shaving Question

The question is: do you shave against the grain? I find I have to otherwise I essentially remove no stubble. I've asked friends and they say they don't (although most of them use electric shavers).

My routine usually involves softening with a hot towel, then 3 stages of shaving with, accross and against the grain. More recently this had led to a lot of irritation though and one very painful ingrown hair as I'm shaving every second day. I'm using a Gilette Fusion 4 bladed razor, for the record.

You almost have to on your face and neck. I go with the grain to get rid of what will go with that, and then against to get what won't.

DO NOT go against the grain on your chest, if you shave there. Also DO NOT shave your chest if you have goosebumps. Wait til they go away. Trust me. Do not learn these two lessons the hard way.

when i go out i shave against the grain for that smoothness. otherwise i shave with it to avoid that redness ingrown issue. i hate shaving to be honest. i usually do it twice a week. some girls love it when it's barely growing back and i look a bit rugged.

Perhaps but its something I've always found over the years with various different razors.

I think my hair is generally quite abundant and coarse anyway, without going into detail, as other aspects of grooming can be quite time consuming and tedious. A possible reason?

DO NOT go against the grain on your chest, if you shave there. Also DO NOT shave your chest if you have goosebumps. Wait til they go away. Trust me. Do not learn these two lessons the hard way.

Haha I'm well aware of that, previous experience!

I shave similar to you. I shave with the grain first then against or else it doesn't feel smooth. I don't shave as often as you do (I shave once or twice a week) but I also shave my head so my routine takes quite a while sometimes.

I used to have horrible razor bumps on my neck and the back of my head. But once I picked up an aftershave lotion designed for fighting burn, things practically disappeared. Just shave like normal, rinse off, dry off, then slather the lotion on and let air dry. Keep your face clean by washing it once or twice a day and you should be doing fine. (I like Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Post Shave)

My hair grows too fast, I don't think my skin has time to recover in between. I'm using a general light moisturising lotion on my face so I'll maybe try and find something more specific to razor burn.

It was just a point I was quite interested because I couldn't physically see how any of my friends get a close enough shave going only with the grain.

I shave with the grain as I shave everyday for the most part. Try shaving in the shower with plenty of hot water and go with the grain. I shave with a 3 blade right after I get out of the shower. Just before I get out I run really hot water on my face. Against the grain does get closer but to many side affects and irritation for me.

Have you tried an electric razor? If you do you have to stick to it for a month or so for your skin to get used to it.

lost

I think it all depends on how often you shave and how quickly your hair grows. My hair grows at a rather slow rate but I still shave daily and I do go against the grain. I use facial products to ease any redness. I always shave in the shower. Before I shave I use Neutrogena Razor Defense Scrub for Men, the razr is the Gillete Fusion, with the same type Gillete Shaving Cream. After the shower to soothe any irritation I use one of 2 lotions. Either Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion (With SPF 20), or Neutrogena Post Shave Lotion. I actually use the post shave lotion at night and it is more confortable in the morning when I shave. The triple protect is wonderful stuff, I use it if I had a real rough night and need to look refreshed.

I shave with the grain because I get a nasty rash when I go against it. But when I first started shaving I shaved against the grain and had no problem, then when I switched to going with the grain it took some time before I started to get as close a shave going with the grain as I got going against it.

Archived