Getting back together really does happen!

Brigadoon - aren't you having major problems with your new marriage? ]

I wouldn't call that major problems; if you read to the end of the thread you'd see that we've pretty much sorted it out and I've realised that this was the first big bump in a new stage in our relationship and we've resolved it.

I personally wouldn't call resolving our issues a "major problem" but you'll have to forgive me for coming to a forum for relationship advice when I was upset and looking for advice DN. Not being cold hearted and clinical is one of my very worst weaknesses I'm afraid.

Brigadoon, I remember you. I read your posts and look at you now I wish you a great life together, be happy...

Thank you! We have our ups and downs like anyone else but I'm glad things have worked out and I hope we last the distance. I really wouldn't have though we'd get back together though so just goes to show there's no point in trying to predict what'll happen lol

I wouldn't call that major problems; if you read to the end of the thread you'd see that we've pretty much sorted it out and I've realised that this was the first big bump in a new stage in our relationship and we've resolved it.

I personally wouldn't call resolving our issues a "major problem" but you'll have to forgive me for coming to a forum for relationship advice when I was upset and looking for advice DN. Not being cold hearted and clinical is one of my very worst weaknesses I'm afraid.

Well, they certainly seemed like major problems but I am glad if you have resolved them. I don't think anyone accused you of being cold-hearted and cynical.

I have a new story; My mothers friend dated a man for 2 years, he didn't treat her amazingly at the time then he left her for another woman. She was upset but carried on dating other men to try and meet 'the one', however she never quite met anyone she clicked with. 2 years later the man who left her for someone else came back to her... he was due to marry the other woman but he never got over my moms friend, she said he was a completely changed man and treats her so much better now, so much better she can't believe it herself.. Not sure if its going to work but he did come back for a second try

Oh and I have another one but its not particularly a happy ending. C and J went out when they were in their early teens, split up, got back together in their later teens, split up again. In their 20's they bumped into each other at a club and became inseparable ever since. They had both dated other people in between their break ups but their hearts obviously stayed with each other for the most part. They were very happy and due to be married but unfortunately C dropped down dead unexpectedly She was very young and it was heartbreaking for everyone..a few years later J finally moved on and met his fiance whom he now has a child with and is very happy, so it does show there are happy endings for even the saddest of stories but also shows reconciliations can happen.

After close to a decade of work I got back with my ex. Sounds great right? Well at times it was complete and utter hell.

True in the end it was worth it. But very few I know are willing to dedicate 7-10 years of pounding your head on the wall for an ex flame to believe certain fundamentals while getting your heart trampled on in the process.

Frankly however I believe anyone can get back together with their ex if there was passion and effort.

Fairy tale it is not but it can happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I got back together with my ex after 1 and a half months and basically the time apart really made her want me back! before the break up she was kinda cold hearted now she turned a full 180 and is pretty clingy and its fantastic. im so happy that i googled getting back together and wanted to share my story. i put alot more work into it than just having time apart but i couldnt be happier, it really can happen and people really can change if they want somethning! good luck!

Even though after a year and a half my ex still hovers in my life and there is absolutely no hope for a recon I wanted to give hope to those who have a chance with these two stories...

1. Guy and girl went out and broke up. Both moved on with their lives and lost touch. 5 years later the girl moves to another town into a new apartment. Coincidentally her ex is living in the same block of flats, meet up, get together, happily married.

2. Guy and girl went out and broke up. Both move on and marry other people. Both become widowed. They coincidentally reconnect after many years and are now married.

3. This is happening to one of my best friends though not sure it should be a recon and who knows if it will last. Dates her guy X for 9 months - very turbulent. They break up, he moves out of her place - she goes back to her first ex Y after having been 3 years broken up with (4 year relationship, 3 years broken up). After 3 months that recon with Y fails. He latest ex X wants her back, they try but break up again but they come back again - they slowly get back together and now in total (including break up, other people they dated etc) they have been together a total of 1 year 9 months and this has covered 2 break ups.

1. One of my ex's parents got divorced when he was a kid. A few years later, they got back together and are still together! He is forty now, so they have been back together a long time!

2. One of my friends married kind of young and ended up divorced. They went their separate ways for several years, including other serious relationships. They got back together, remarried, and have two boys!

Whenever I am in a lousy mood, a few pages of this thread always cheers me up. I broke up with my boyfriend of 11 months a couple months ago due to me cheating early in our relationship before I dealt with some commitment issues. When he found out he broke up with me but took me back after just two days and tried to live with it but it just kept coming back up and he dumped me saying that he wanted to take some time and really get over the hurt he was feeling about it and start fresh some day. He very quickly rebounded after 10 days and hid it from me and everybody else for 3 weeks before they were official. He even flat-out lied to my face to cover it up. I was devastated and when I confronted him he started crying saying he was afraid I would be angry and stop talking to him. About 2 months of us trying to be friends before I realized I couldn't take it anymore. Too many mixed signals, vindictiveness, analyzing and emotional stress. I wasn't healing or moving on. We both agreed that no matter what our future is, we have to start NC and start healing and left things on good terms. NC basically started 2.5 weeks ago with a couple slip-ups, but totally NC for 4 days now and I know there won't be any more slips on my side. I'm pretty confident that we will get back together once this rebound plays out, but I'm still working on myself and trying to move on. The real healing starts now. Time to let go and just see what happens.

The story of my paternal grandparents :

They were teen sweethearts. However, my grandfather came from a very rich family, while she came from a family who was also rich but not rich enough to be married off to my grandfather's family. My grandfather spent his entire 20s in America, studying law and business. When he came back, he married a woman who was considered " acceptable " by his family and they even had a son together. However, during WWII, the Japanese killed his wife when they wreaked havoc during the occupation of the capital city. He was a widower at the age of 35-something. He took care of his son ( my uncle ), worked hard at business and his law practice but still felt utterly lonely and thought about his teen sweetheart ( my grandmother ). So, he started writing letters to her family, to try and find her. It took around a year to finally get her address ( as we believe now, her family was trying to protect her from getting her heart broken again ). Anyway, they had their " first " date when they finally reconnected and they married within a few months. They were together for a very long time, had 5 children ( my dad, his three brothers and his sister ) and the love ended when my grandfather died. My grandmother outlived him for another 20 years and never remarried, always wearing black and referring to him as if he was still alive ( and was just away on a business trip ). It's a very bittersweet story....

My mum cheated on my dad a few years ago, and she left. She said she done it because my dad paid her no attention. She didnt want to come back at first, but they worked it out and have been bettwe for it now.

Hopefully me and my ex will get back together, 2 1/2 years, an engagement and a baby later and he decided that I spoke to him badly and he wasnt willing to work with me.

Any stories about a depressed exgf who was depressed but loved you very much all the way up until she broke up with you and was stressed? We were together 3 years and we were eachother's world but after the BU, she said there was no chance we'd be together again. I'm just giving her time/space. She is taking a lot of hours at school, pressured, stressful job, alone in a dorm. I'm giving her space, but I think her depression has complicated things.

I'm trying not to stress about it though. I'm really trying to just move forward but its hard.

great thread btw.

I am just recently divorced and well.... it's a time of confusion, there is so much of anger, at times I would like to think we would get back together because I just want the hurt to stop, while at other times I think to myself, I'm better off without him. Sigh... life is complicated.

I posted part of this on another thread, but I think it fits in well on this one as well:

I have a friend who realized he had issues with anger and decided to contact the people in his life he felt he had hurt, which included an ex he broke up with about three years ago. After he apologized for his earlier behavior, they ended up speaking on the phone for about 3 hours and are now back together in a committed relationship. I am sure that is the last thing either of them expected after the ugly breakup and the fact that they hadn't communicated at all in the last three years.

I also have two friends who broke up about a year and a half ago for about six months. This was definitely a GIG situation with a happy ending. The two are now incredibly happy and plan to be married in October.

I think you just never know why, how, and when people will get back together. Sometimes it can have to do with the fact that we are able to work through our own issues and someone is just willing to give things another try.

I just found this article spotlighting a very happy story about a couple that divorced at 24 and remarried 45 years later at 73. John Coates, Jr., a great jazz pianist whom I have heard play many times, and his ex-wife have reunited after all that time. It just goes to show that you never know what the future holds for you and your ex.

Here is the article:

link removed

Hi. I hope one day i can post my own story. =)

Anyway, My fds were broke up for almost 5 months. They are both in their early 20s The guy ended it due to the stress. And he had doubt to the relationship (they dated for 4 years at that time). The girl was depressed. I am not sure the detail but the guy at first just busy himself to forget about the pain, after awhile he realized break up didn't solve his own problems and being apart with her wasn't what he wanted. So he asked for second chance and they girl said yes. They now are together for six years.

My fd ended it with her bf of 6 years cos she said at that time she just couldn't handle the marriage and pressure. She just wanted "right now" so she went out to have fun but later on she felt those happiness was short and empty. She got back to her ex after 10 months. They was back together for 2 years and now the guys ended it for the same reasons. She did NC for 3 months and the guy was so regretted. They are in the process of reconciliation.

Hope you guys will happy in the end no matter what happen in the future. I pray for all of you. =)

I just found this article spotlighting a very happy story about a couple that divorced at 24 and remarried 45 years later at 73. John Coates, Jr., a great jazz pianist whom I have heard play many times, and his ex-wife have reunited after all that time. It just goes to show that you never know what the future holds for you and your ex.

Here is the article:

link removed

For some reason, in my eyes, this is more depressing than romantic or hopeful. They have missed so many vital years together....and only now, do they get together at 73. Could it be the fear of dying alone that got them together? What does this say about the state of relationships and why people stay in dead end, horrible relationships? The fear of being alone or dying alone is extremely strong and motivating. It can lead people to be in very unhappy marriages until they die.

I'm in a fantastic mood today so I thought I'd share a few stories

1.) My friend dated a guy for less than a year in high school broke up due to various reasons (immaturity, college, etc). Reconnected via Facebook 3-4 years later, started dating not too long after that, and now they've been together for about 3 years. Let me point out that my friend (the girl) was SUPER commitment phobic. Up until her current bf, her relationships didn't last past 6 months...so I'm pretty impressed!

2.) My best friend started dating this guy on and off for about 2 years. To say that their relationship was tumultuous would be putting it mildly: constant arguing, it was a LDR (lived 3 hours apart), he had kids with a crazy baby momma (she really is quite frightening), age difference of 6 years (when you're in your early 20's it makes a difference). Honestly, no one thought this guy was good for her, and she could have any guy she wanted! She's beautiful, smart, funny, kind, the works. But somehow they always found their way back to one another. Anyways, one day they had a HUGE blowout and she told me it was "over for good." After that my friend dated other guys, did an exchange in Europe for about 8 months, finished school and got an amazing job. No contact between the two of them, at all. After about a year she gets an email from him. By her account they emailed back and forth for about 2 months, then eventually she told him to call her...and they reconciled after 2 more months! They're 1.5 years in, and they moved in together about 5 months ago. As my friend says, they both grew up during their time apart, and things have been going great. He took her wedding ring shopping not too long ago, hahaha.

3.) Not a reconciliation, but I dated a guy on/off for just under 3 years from the last two years of high school and LDR for the first year of university. Anyways, eventually he called it off for good and I was left pretty angry about things (long story that I can't really remember because it was that long ago). We didn't speak for about a year, when he emailed me with this loooooooooooong email telling me how great his life is, the girls he was dating, etc etc. He did this almost annually for 3 years. For the record, I replied perhaps once. Finally one day he caught me on MSN and we chatted for a bit, it was going well when he suddenly said something extremely callous (can't remember what) and I snapped and told him that I wasn't interested in being friends. It showed me that he hadn't changed from when we were together. Less than a year after that, he emailed me again asking to meet, and then he told me that he still had feelings for me about 4/5 years after the fact! Yeah, no thanks...a little late for that. I was with someone else at that point too.

As others have said, anything can happen!