Men...

speak

Marriage is essentially a contract where ownership of the woman passes from the father to the husband. I don't understand why women think that is so great.

Frankly I don't understand why it is important to commit to 'just one person' or this whole concept of marriage where the woman gets to take half of your property.

Fair enough, a union to raise children, and if they want they can stay together as people often will want to do but I don't understand why this expectation that is what you have to do.

In that regard I don't see why anyone would hold anything for marriage. I don't plan on getting married ever. That doesn't mean I don't plan on having a life partner that is female it just means I think marriage is a ridiculous concept. thereforee a woman saving herself for marriages strikes me as something I think is bad.

I wouldn't be involved with a woman who had that attitude. I mean unless she was going to be a traditional wife. By doing what It old her to at all times and by cooking dinner cleaning and doing all the work of looking after any kids as well as getting a part time job if the need (and I mean need) arises. Then, sure, save yourself for marriage.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marriage is essentially a contract where ownership of the woman passes from the father to the husband.

That's not part of the law in any modern country I'm aware of, and also marriage has a dual nature of religious significance for many people, as so many marriages are performed by representatives of the religion in holy places.

If the West is so hyper sexed, why is it that their overall population is dwarfed by that of the East?

That was NOt a good argument. Cause western people usually live in more modern societies and are more educated about birth control? Many eastren people just have one or a few partners in their lives. And they are more willing to have children sooner in their lives.

That's not part of the law in any modern country I'm aware of, and also marriage has a dual nature of religious significance for many people, as so many marriages are performed by representatives of the religion in holy places.

That's the history of it though. The "marriage for love" aspect is actually quite new. It wasn't that long ago that if you tried to get married outside the official channels it was punishable by death. Marriage was a very tightly controlled mechanism by the church and aristocracy to maintain their control and prevent intermingling between the serfs and ruling class. Slowly over time marriage for love became the norm just as arranged marriages went out of style (mostly). It took several hundred years and a lot of people being killed or tortured for us to end up with the system we have now. People rarely think about it, but marriage is a custom from a very brutal and archaic time. Same can be said about religion and the bulk of human history. Sadly most people either don't learn about history, or take the conventional approach and only seek out or accept the rose tinted sugar coated version.

I believe wearing a condom is not foolproof..accidents happen, condoms can slip etc. A person is still playing Russian Roulette if they have lots and lots of partners.

Of course accidents can happen... does that mean you never have sex, just in case an accident might happen one day?

Do you ever get in a car? an accident might happen....

If the West is so hyper sexed, why is it that their overall population is dwarfed by that of the East?

The United States is a 230+ y.o. country. China, for example, is several thousand years old. Based on modern U.S. culture and reproduction rates, what do you think the U.S. population might be with current mores in say, four thousand years?

Of course accidents can happen... does that mean you never have sex, just in case an accident might happen one day?

Do you ever get in a car? an accident might happen....

I was merely responding to your dismissive statement about silly people who don't use condoms run the risk of STDs...but people who have indiscrimant sex are also playing with fire. It is not simply "an accident" which can result in STDs...if there is sloppiness in putting on the condom and there is skin contact that increases the chances of certain STDs. I think it is not wise to pass judgement on "silly people" who don't use condoms when there are plenty of "silly people" who think that they are somehow above it all because they have indiscriminant sex but use condoms and think they are fully protected.

I was merely responding to your dismissive statement about silly people who don't use condoms run the risk of STDs...but people who have indiscrimant sex are also playing with fire. It is not simply "an accident" which can result in STDs...if there is sloppiness in putting on the condom and there is skin contact that increases the chances of certain STDs. I think it is not wise to pass judgement on "silly people" who don't use condoms when there are plenty of "silly people" who think that they are somehow above it all because they have indiscriminant sex but use condoms and think they are fully protected.

yes, what a dismissive statement!

Everyone will agree that it is 'silly' to have sex without using a condom.

People get STDs because they have not protected themselves properly.

yes, what a dismissive statement!

Everyone will agree that it is 'silly' to have sex without using a condom.

People get STDs because they have not protected themselves properly.

Yes, but going from bed to bed to bed, plenty of careful people have indeed slipped up...or were not fully aware that their partner slipped up, or they were only aware after the fact...too late.

Yes, but going from bed to bed to bed, plenty of careful people have indeed slipped up...or were not fully aware that their partner slipped up, or they were only aware after the fact...too late.

Well I guess no one should ever have sex then. Even if on the pill and using condoms, it could STILL happen.

I still don't see this as a reason to wait for marriage or saving oneself.

And, as I said in an earlier posts, why are the two extremes being compared?

If you're not waiting for marriage or saving yourself you must be jumping from 'bed to bed' and hopping from one STD to another.

That was NOt a good argument. Cause western people usually live in more modern societies and are more educated about birth control? Many eastren people just have one or a few partners in their lives. And they are more willing to have children sooner in their lives.

That's a BIG generalisation. What 'non-western' countries are you specifically talking about?

Sure some places may be like that..but you are making some very broad incorrect assumptions here..

I was honestly curious, not attempting to make an argument perse. Still, I'd rather think that China has reached the level where we can credit them with having the knowledge necessary to take care of its business as far as that's concerned.

I could be wrong. I'm not so knowledgeable when it comes to Eastern cultures, apart from video games.

The United States is a 230+ y.o. country. China, for example, is several thousand years old. Based on modern U.S. culture and reproduction rates, what do you think the U.S. population might be with current mores in say, four thousand years?

Interesting hypothesis. There are, of course, other factors at play...

Do we include South America under the hypersex umbrella? What about Russia, Eastern Europe and Africa? Let's say that the hypersex group begins to outweigh the total of persons on the other side - do they then become undersexed and deserving of condemnation?

Are we making a religious assumption about the world at large or a geographical one? Or are we just referring to the more general cultural sensibility of 'that part' of the world? IS there a general cultural sensibility that people adopt once they hit, say... Romania?

I was honestly curious, not attempting to make an argument perse. Still, I'd rather think that China has reached the level where we can credit them with having the knowledge necessary to take care of its business as far as that's concerned.

I could be wrong. I'm not so knowledgeable when it comes to Eastern cultures, apart from video games.

Well, basically in eastern culture there is usually less emphasis on sex compare to here. A 20 year old virgin don't feel ashamed or anything. But as eastern countries are getting westernized, you can see the changes that happens there. Countries like japan that love american culture are examples of that!

Well, basically in eastern culture there is usually less emphasis on sex compare to here. A 20 year old virgin don't feel ashamed or anything. But as eastern countries are getting westernized, you can see the changes that happens there. Countries like japan that love american culture are examples of that!

I would say the opposite about many Eastern countries that I've lived in and

traveled to.

I am with the majority. Sexual chemistry IS the most important part of our chemistry; okay perhaps tied for THE most important part.

You cannot process what a sexual chemistry is and is not, because you have not had it. You cannot say you know how it does impact a relationship both positively and negatively. I know that when I gave up my virginity it was with a guy I TURELY loved and he truly loved me too. Which is why I gave that to him. So what we broke up, does that mean I regret giving him that? No. It just means we didn't work out. And guess what's funny, I broke up with him because the sexual relationship wasn't compatible!

Now, having the man I truly love (again) and have and absolutely wonderful relationship in every way, sexual and not. I realize this is ideal. I have the sex, and I have the love. Both are equally importand and both need to be experienced by most people (excluding OP and a small handful of others).

I would NEVER marry someone I didn't have sex with, ever, never, ever. It is far too important.

Archived