Do you feel better after crying?

jhinesis

I'm going through a break up and I've had a few moments(when I'm by myself...sometimes when I'm on the way to work) where I feel I need to cry about it.

Any way, I've always noticed, not just now, but for as long as I remember that I always feel much better after crying. It's not just emotional release, but it almost feels like a sedating effect. I feel calm, comforted, level-headed-- usually just a little bit sleepy too. It's a feeling that I've only felt after crying and it's sort of hard to explain. Is this some built in calming mechanism by our body to ease us when we're really upset?

I did a little bit of research, not much, but I'm reading things like how emotional tears are a release of toxins from the body. I just don't see this feeling being just a "release of toxins". It's a strong feeling. Any way, any one else experienced this?

Edited to mention that I'm not talking about crying in public, moreso about crying in private. Obviously crying in public would create different feelings. I mean how you feel when no one else is around.

The times that I feel so bad that I can't cry are so much worse than the times that I feel I can't stop crying.

However, when I am really going through a depression, crying is not always relieving. It can be sheer misery, frustration, and being completely at the end of my rope. It will give me strength, but it won't feel like a relief.

I find it hard to cry even when something really bad happens but when I do it really does make me feel a bit better. I dont seem to have a problem crying when i'm drunk though... it's not till i'm by myself that I cry, I CANT cry in public... only time Ive ever cried in public was when my nana died.

Archived