STDs it’s the end of the world!

rosephase

Because people feel like they are dirty and bad if they get one. So they are scared to get checked, they are scared to know. That is how they spread. That and people having the wrong info, often misinformation is based around fear to. Like people saying they don't have herpes when they have "cold sores"

If there was less fear around them I think people would be healthier about information, treatment, and prevention.

Sorry, but I don't agree. That's like saying that people shouldn't freak out about sex as much because girls are afraid to get birth control. Afraid the doctor will judge them for having sex. Sorry, but it's still that person's fault for not doing what needs to be done. No one but them and the doctor would know about it. Not like they post up the results to your test.

It's based on fear because STD's are freaking scary. Even the most logical of people who showed no emotions based on information would agree that the idea of an STD makes them cringe.

I went to school in an abstinence only education promoting district. It's more likely to contract an STD than not if you aren't told about them. As in, the schools where they show you the nasty pics...those are the kids that will be less likely to get them. Fear and disease goes hand in hand and probably always will.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For cowards...

You need to scare people in order for them to not do it. Show them pictures of oozing green vaginas when they're young and impressionable well chances are that girl seeing that is going to think twice before have unprotected sex.

Look in africa where they dont put fear into your mind...The average lifespan in some countries is 28. 28 YEARS OLD...28...did i say twenty-eight?

...im pretty sure in africa they have other 'fears' like sleeping near an area with hungry lions. not saying dont agree with you on the actual issue here, but that was just a terrible example.

Once, I thought I was getting a giant cold sore on my lips. I'd never had one before, all I knew was my lips were really swollen & sore. Turned out to be a food allergy. But before I figured that out, I got a Rx from my doctor for Valtrex. Just getting the prescription filled, I felt like the pharmacist was judging me. He probably wasn't, but I was so embarrassed getting that prescription when it was just for a cold sore, & turned out I didn't even have that! So I can see how powerful the stigma can be for someone with an STI.

...im pretty sure in africa they have other 'fears' like sleeping near an area with hungry lions. not saying dont agree with you on the actual issue here, but that was just a terrible example.

now THAT was a terrible example.

STDs are really serious, and no one is denying that. I think the OP is saying that the stigma attached to them, such as the assumptions that the person must be promiscuous, or somehow responsible for contracting the STD, when that is not necessarily the case, is what is bad.

That example of the person whose partner infected her without her even knowing is a great example, actually. Even if that was the only man she'd ever been with, perhaps she would feel ashamed to tell her next partner she had been infected, because she didn't want him to assume she had been sleeping around.

I think the stigma isn't just limited to STD's, I think it it surrounds anything having to do with sex in general. Puritanical beliefs about the "dirtiness" of sex in general have not gone away just because sex and sex talk permeates our modern culture. In fact, unfortunately sometimes it is this "dirtiness" itself, that makes sex sexy to some people in the first place.

STDs can be as serious as a heart attack, but we have to stop thinking of them as dirty or shameful because then people are not going to get tested out of fear. Everyone "ew's" and "yucks" and says "too bad for those people" until it is them who catches something, even though they are monogamous and/or use protection. And then they see it isn't just prostitutes and drug addicts who can be made to feel like lepers.

Good thread! Made me think!

But why are they scary? Because they can hurt you and the people you love? Tons of things can do that. What doesn't need to be added to the equation is shame. That doesn't help anyone.

people who have STDs are not bad scary people.

besides other people looking at this person feeling miserable and feeling like Wow...i dont ever want to be in his shoes.

But why are they scary? Because they can hurt you and the people you love? Tons of things can do that. What doesn't need to be added to the equation is shame. That doesn't help anyone.

people who have STDs are not bad scary people.

People who have STDs and don't tell their partners are bad people though.

The stigma comes from the fact that ANYONE could have an STD. Or else people wouldn't fear them. If only dirty people got STDs, then, actually, no other people would get them because they'd just avoid the dirty promicuous people.

and, I'm sorry, but if someone got an STD from unprotected sex with a random, yes, they should feel shame. So that they may learn from the shame. People only learn when their are repercussions.

Once, I thought I was getting a giant cold sore on my lips. I'd never had one before, all I knew was my lips were really swollen & sore. Turned out to be a food allergy. But before I figured that out, I got a Rx from my doctor for Valtrex. Just getting the prescription filled, I felt like the pharmacist was judging me. He probably wasn't, but I was so embarrassed getting that prescription when it was just for a cold sore, & turned out I didn't even have that! So I can see how powerful the stigma can be for someone with an STI.

Thank you for sharing. That must have been a humiliating experience. This is such a good example of how the stigma does not really help anyone.

Healthy fear of STD's is a good thing. Stigma and shame, however, helps no one. To me there is a clear line to be drawn between the two.

Im sorry but this is rediculous..

No offense, but who in their right mind would be complaining about the 'stigma' that goes along with STD's???

There is a stigma with cigarette smoking... because its BAD FOR YOU.

There is a stigma against women who drink who are impregnated... because its BAD FOR THE HEALTH OF THE UNBORN BABY.

Of course there will ALWAYS be BAD stigmas attached with BAD things... and im sorry but i believe STD's are bad things..

I mean its not like at birthday parties when you unwrap your presents, you are excited to say.. "OH LOOK WHAT TYLER GOT ME! ITS CYPHILLUS!! IVE ALWAYS WANTED THIS!"

Its ignorant to even think of STD's not being scary, BECAUSE THEY ARE.

I'm sorry, but if someone got an STD from unprotected sex with a random, yes, they should feel shame. So that they may learn from the shame. People only learn when their are repercussions.

I don't agree. I don't think shame teaches in these types of situations. I think shame makes people afraid to seek treatment. I'm not saying the person should feel "yay! I'm so proud I got an STD." They should think "this is not good. I need to stop this behavior and get treatment." I don't see how shame needs to factor in to that.

People who have STDs and don't tell their partners are bad people though.

The stigma comes from the fact that ANYONE could have an STD. Or else people wouldn't fear them. If only dirty people got STDs, then, actually, no other people would get them because they'd just avoid the dirty promicuous people.

and, I'm sorry, but if someone got an STD from unprotected sex with a random, yes, they should feel shame. So that they may learn from the shame. People only learn when their are repercussions.

Sure but someone who got "cold sores" from there aunt when they where 4 is sharing that shame. Because people judge them with out knowing and they still have to tell all of there partners and hopefully anyone they kiss.

I don't agree. I don't think shame teaches in these types of situations. I think shame makes people afraid to seek treatment. I'm not saying the person should feel "yay! I'm so proud I got an STD." They should think "this is not good. I need to stop this behavior and get treatment." I don't see how shame needs to factor in to that.

I guess our ideas of shame must be different.

I am thinking more of a wake up call, sudden regret of actions.

Shame doesn't enable you from doing what you need to do. It should push you to do what you need to do. Fear keeps you from getting tested, not shame.

You can be ashamed of your past actions, and that actually strengthens your quest to change your ways.

Sure but someone who got "cold sores" from there aunt when they where 4 is sharing that shame. Because people judge them with out knowing and they still have to tell all of there partners and hopefully anyone they kiss.

Well, they aren't feeling shame.

Shame is regret of actions.

Since they did nothing to cause it, they can't have shame for their actions.

I think you aren't upset over the "shame" part of it, but more with the "people judging others" part of it. That has little to do with fear of STD's though, that's just people not minding their own business.

Im sorry but this is rediculous..

No offense, but who in their right mind would be complaining about the 'stigma' that goes along with STD's???

Plenty of people complain about this on a daily basis. Among them are: doctors, epidemiologists, and other people who are trying to combat the spread of STDs. I can assure you all of them are in their right minds. A ton of research has been done to show that the stigma actually makes things worse and causes many people to avoid getting tested.

It's not ridiculous. Please do some research.

Well, they aren't feeling shame.

Shame is regret of actions.

Since they did nothing to cause it, they can't have shame for their actions.

Well, no. People often feel a very strong sense of shame for things that are not their own fault. Abuse is a prime example.

behavior? just because someone gets an STD doesn't mean they are promiscuous-

SEE ..stigma.

Plenty of people complain about this on a daily basis. Among them are: doctors, epidemiologists, and other people who are trying to combat the spread of STDs. I can assure you all of them are in their right minds. A ton of research has been done to show that the stigma actually makes things worse and causes many people to avoid getting tested.

It's not ridiculous. Please do some research.

ok maybe i shouldn't have used the word STIGMA...

let me correct myself, WHO in their right mind would be complaining about the FEAR that goes along with STD's?!?!

is that better for you my dear?

Well, no. People often feel a very strong sense of shame for things that are not their own fault. Abuse is a prime example.

Well, misplaced shame then.

Still, people can't use the excuse of "shame" as a reason for not getting tested. Taking away the stigma probably won't make very many more people get tested. If you were set on getting tested and doing what needs to be done, you'd do it.

now THAT was a terrible example.

maybe i should just say nature and life in general. they have a crap load more to worry about just to live for the 28 years they have than think about sti's. and people do still live in areas where lions are roaming about - theyve probably figured out how to minimize that risk of running into one though. i highly doubt 'fear' would make them change their way of living completely and increase their life span much.

behavior? just because someone gets an STD doesn't mean they are promiscuous-

SEE ..stigma.

I was talking about a specific case of someone who sleeps with a random person they do not know at all and then contracts an STD. Not behavior that they should repeat. Sleeping with random people that you cannot (by definition) know their STD status...that's a behavior that a person should change. No judgment. No stigma. Totally unrelated to stigma.

I guess our ideas of shame must be different.

I am thinking more of a wake up call, sudden regret of actions.

Shame doesn't enable you from doing what you need to do. It should push you to do what you need to do. Fear keeps you from getting tested, not shame.

You can be ashamed of your past actions, and that actually strengthens your quest to change your ways.

i disagree. but maybe its just because of semantics.

everytime i went to get an STD checkup whether i had symptoms or it was just a 'just in case' visit. i had a certain level of embarrasment about it. not so much that i didnt still go, but it delayed me from going once.

no one wants to have to fill out that slip with 'STD test' on the 4th line for 'reason for visit'

its shame or embarrasment, and those are close to fear, but not exactly.

i think that with shunning people who contract STD's we may be unknowingly preventing them from seeking tests and treatment. which in the end does more harm than good.

These days the majority of the population WILL get an STD or STI at some point in their life. So its not some dirty little secret, and i should think that even without people looking down on them for getting whatever it is they contracted, the mere fact that they are going through the symptoms and the treatment is enough to give them a reality check. No need to salt the wound imo.

I'm sorry

but for the girl who made this thread

you failed...........

how old are you

everyone has a right to freak about them

just because tons of people have them,don't make it good

most std,you have to deal with for the rest of your life

for the rest of your life your suffering in pain or uncomfortable for the rest of your life

nobody wants that,not anyone in their right mind

I will admit that some stigmas are ridiculous. For example, I think the stigma of having lice is ridiculous. Sure, no one wants lice. But some people act like it's the worst thing in the world. And of course there are some exceptions. If you're 40 and you've had lice for years, then yeah that's a little gross. But if you're 5 I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Anways, my point is that some stigmas can be pretty ridiculous. I don't think it really has to do with them being STDs though. I think it's because it's your private areas. There's a stigma toward yeast infections, but it is not necessarily an STI. The stigma is there because it's your genitals.

Archived