Do people believe in "positive thinking"?

Traveler27

(1) I love positive thinking so much I plan to study it in graduate school. Positive Psychology = love of my life

(2) The Secret isn't the only book that changed my life. Tuesdays with Morrie inspired me to become a teacher when I was 16. I'm 22 and I graduated with two Ba's this spring (Literature & Education). You can be influenced by a book. It can change your life. But it can only change your life if it inspires you to take action. Ultimately, we take action. I do contribute to where I am today to a handful of books because without their influence, I wouldn't have taken the steps to where I am today.

But I mean, books? They're just terrible. I mean, they totally ruined my life. I can't even believe I'm going to teach kids Literature because books can ruin their lives. We should ban them or burn them or throw them out the window. Because why would we want to take responsibility for our actions when we can just blame them on books?

There's some sarcasm for you, just in case all the positive talk was wearing you down.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a book called "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise L. Hay. I am in love with this book and have read it many times. I even have friends hooked on it. It deals with positive thinking and how the way we think influences what happens in our lives. It touches on so many things from learning to be happy and loving yourself to various ailments that can be harming our bodies and provides affirmations to try to turn our lives around.

To provide an example: I have been sick with a cough for the past few weeks. I have also been extremely stressed out with work and things that happen in our daily lives. It got to the point where I was left with no voice. I started saying the affirmations and (no joke) my voice started coming back!!! I know there are many skeptical people out there and that is ok. It almost seems too much to believe.

I truly believe that the way we think about ourselves and the way we see the world does in fact influence what happens in our lives.

For all those people who do not believe in positive thinking, try it. You may be surprised at what happens.

T,

If you've lived near 28 years of your life, similar to myself having spent a vast amount of my life, schooled in thinking in a certain way, then yes, positive thinking can certainly come accross as asinine.

And I think sometimes, it is.

It is not a cure all for life. It doesn't solve your problems. It doesn't make the bad things that have happened to you/with you/from you go away.

It doesn't do a lot.

And some people will peddle it out as a pat answer to everything. OR - just to get you to shut up.

Hey, I believe this is true sometimes. People don't always want to hear we have to say, especially if it comes accross negative or judgmental or sad or from someone who seems even a bit physically ill.

People gravitate to the positive, when they are up, and sometimes when they are down too, and sometimes that can be infuriating.

Especially if you are used to operating from a darker, or more negative mentality and set of beliefs. And especially if operating that way has given you a bunch of big payoffs. Which it can (at a big price though).

Anyways, my point is.

Positive thinking, in my experience, when you aren't used to living that way, thinking that way - it isn't a religious experience. Most people don't instantly convert, or convert at all, but rather chug it out trying this as something different - because life is starting to get unbearable under a negative film - and start to see some small results from it that keep them going back for more and practicing, and practising.

Not everyone was shown how it works, or how to do it, and not everyone has a supportive environment form day 1 or even for big portions of their lives, yet some of these people still do it and see benefits and turn their life on a new path.

Why?

In my experience, it comes down to that it works. It works for an individual to get their needs met, and get more of what they want in life.

Simple as that. It's not moralistic (though some people make it so) and it's not a "secret" and it's not religious (though some people make it so, incorporating religious beliefs with positive thinking).

Try it and see if it works. If it doesn't - big deal. You can go on and call people asinine, and go back to what you did before, and there is no big loss there.

I know positive thinking works and on the other hand.....think some people mistake and use the term positive thinking for a whole slew of other things, and sometimes even, just are delusional in Polyanna world.

In my experience, it comes down to that it works. It works for an individual to get their needs met, and get more of what they want in life.

Exactly. You have to do what works for you. I don't try to convert people to my style of thinking, but I also choose to not spend my time with people I perceive as "negative."

Life choices. You have to do what makes you happy.

clearly you did not pay attention to my posts... here in one for ya:

conveniently ignoring what a person said and instead make inferences and twist words like 'ban' to 'burn' is also part of positive thinking philosophy for some people i guess......

... and for people that think i was so rude to say that The Secret does more harm than good plz take the time to read this:

link removed

link removed

i guess that the medical professionals are also nuts like me to think that The Secret is dangerous

... and for people that think i was so rude to say that The Secret does more harm than good plz take the time to read this:

link removed

link removed

i guess that the medical professionals are also nuts like me to think that The Secret is dangerous

Well, you didn't pick very good articles to support your claim. The first article interviews several doctors- one thinks the book could be dangerous, several think it has both good and bad points, and one praises it.

And the 2nd article is written by the " Director of The Always Be Ready Apologetics Ministry"- who has absolutely no medical background.

Well, you didn't pick very good articles to support your claim. The first article interviews several doctors- one thinks the book could be dangerous, several think it has both good and bad points, and one praises it.

And the 2nd article is written by the " Director of The Always Be Ready Apologetics Ministry"- who has absolutely no medical background.

yea? well here is another if you want link removed ...

but wait... its ok.. nevermind... The Secret is a great book!

there you go... hopefully everyone is happy now

I do try positive affirmations because I tend to be negative about things like health and success and my bf has a far more positive mindset - so I let him lead by example and inspire me. When I can gain a more positive perspective it definitely reduces my stress response.

For example, the other day I predicted to my bf that my doctor wouldn't agree to help me with a medical issue he was obligated to help me with. The next morning, I received a vm from my doctor refusing to help me even though he was obligated. I said to bf "see, I was right - so what's the point of your positive mindset - I knew what would happen!" His response was - why assume the negative outcome in advance and get all upset in advance of it actually happening - my being right didn't change that. He was right ;-)

clearly you did not pay attention to my posts... here in one for ya:

conveniently ignoring what a person said and instead make inferences and twist words like 'ban' to 'burn' is also part of positive thinking philosophy for some people i guess......

link removed

link removed

Ok, so what's the difference between "ban" and "burn" when it comes to books? When you burn them you use fire (451 degrees actually), and when you ban them, then what? You lock them away in a safe somewhere for the sake of posterity?

By saying that you are in favor of banning a book, you are saying that you don't believe others should be allowed to make up their own minds about that book. You are replacing your infinite wisdom and judgment for everyone else's, and then claiming you, and you alone should be made responsible for what others are allowed to read.

I may not believe in the Koran, for example, and I may even think it dangerous in the wrong hands, but I would never dream of calling to have it banned.

Banning books is scary stuff. Really scary. It's a slippery slope because where does it stop? It's an authoritarian approach to knowledge that has been proven not just dangerous but also deadly for all of history. Basically, whoever is in charge decides what's right or wrong for you rather then allowing individuals to decide. So if the wrong people are in power for some reason? Then too bad for you.

I don't even need to debate your ideas about self-help books, but at least don't be so stubborn as to not concede this point. It just makes the rest of your argument extremely hard to swallow.

yea? well here is another if you want link removed ...

but wait... its ok.. nevermind... The Secret is a great book!

there you go... hopefully everyone is happy now

These are not scientific studies conducted in a proper manner. They are editorials, people's opinions and first-hand accounts. Any of us can search the internet and find something that coincides with our views, if we look hard enough.

Could a person (or a group of people) misinterpret a book? Absolutely. But how do we know those people were okay, mentally speaking, to start with? We don't. One of the articles mentions a group of people that are already in therapy. Clearly not the best sampling for a mental health study.

To have a proper debate about something, you need facts. Since nobody has studied self-help books' effects, and The Secret's effect specifically, there isn't really much to support it either way. However, there are studies about positive thinking and its effects, and they all say the same thing: think positively.

even if you write a hundred posts i am still going to stand my ground and say that - yes, this book needs to be banned. and guess what? i also believe that Scientology needs to be banned. those are my opinions and i am entitled to them.

i have the balls to say what i want to say. go figure!

even if you write a hundred posts i am still going to stand my ground and say that - yes, this book needs to be banned. and guess what? i also believe that Scientology needs to be banned. those are my opinions and i am entitled to them.

There is an easier way. You could just not read the book or practice Scientology. Just a thought.

There is an easier way. You could just not read the book or practice Scientology. Just a thought.

yup... i can choose not to read The Secret... not practice Scientology... AND also have the right to say what i feel about both.

this in an online forum where people can express their opinions. i am expressing mine!

surprisingly the people that think i am trying to push my ideas on them are the ones that are hell bent on repeatedly challenging my posts

These are not scientific studies conducted in a proper manner. They are editorials, people's opinions and first-hand accounts. Any of us can search the internet and find something that coincides with our views, if we look hard enough.

Could a person (or a group of people) misinterpret a book? Absolutely. But how do we know those people were okay, mentally speaking, to start with? We don't. One of the articles mentions a group of people that are already in therapy. Clearly not the best sampling for a mental health study.

To have a proper debate about something, you need facts. Since nobody has studied self-help books' effects, and The Secret's effect specifically, there isn't really much to support it either way. However, there are studies about positive thinking and its effects, and they all say the same thing: think positively.

ok... here is an article: link removed

a lady named kim decided to heal herself of cancer through her mind after reading The Secret.

having said that i would not be surprised if you come up with yet another comment saying that this also is invalid. you are entitled to your opinions and i am entitled to mine!

ok... here is an article: link removed

a lady named kim decided to heal herself of cancer through her mind after reading The Secret.

having said that i would not be surprised if you come up with yet another comment saying that this also is invalid. you are entitled to your opinions and i am entitled to mine!

There is a difference between opinion and fact that I think you are unaware of. Again, I'm not interested in a first-hand account of someone's experience with The Secret. Not valid. The reason Jettison is so adamant (I think) is that you seem okay with determining what is acceptable for all people, not just for yourself. If I say The Secret changed my life, and I don't know where I'd be without it, then what would have happened if that book had been banned?

The irony is ripe considering that ALA is celebrating Banned Books Week beginning this Monday. You have every right to your opinion, and I would never tell you not to express it. In other words, I would never attempt to have your opinion, no matter how misguided, banned.

link removed

The fact that you don't believe in intellectual freedom is scary, however. By your reasoning, you would gladly shut me up and have my opinion banned. After all, those are the kinds of ideologies you claim to support.

"Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us." —Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

yup... i can choose not to read The Secret... not practice Scientology... AND also have the right to say what i feel about both.

this in an online forum where people can express their opinions. i am expressing mine!

surprisingly the people that think i am trying to push my ideas on them are the ones that are hell bent on repeatedly challenging my posts

My God, the irony! You are clamoring for free speech while arguing that it's ok to take away... free speech!

"this in an online forum where people can express their opinions. i am expressing mine!"

Do you even hear yourself right now? So YOUR free speech is great, and it should be admired and protected, but the free speech of the author of the Secret isn't afforded the same luxury? Free speech for you because it's your speech. Not free speech for others because it's not your speech. Perfect. If you're going to cry first amendment then at least be consistent about it.

Pot, meet kettle.

My God, the irony! You are clamoring for free speech while arguing that it's ok to take away... free speech!

"this in an online forum where people can express their opinions. i am expressing mine!"

Do you even hear yourself right now? So YOUR free speech is great, and it should be admired and protected, but the free speech of the author of the Secret isn't afforded the same luxury? Free speech for you because it's your speech. Not free speech for others because it's not your speech. Perfect. If you're going to cry first amendment then at least be consistent about it.

Pot, meet kettle.

The irony was a bit painful for me, as well!

There is a difference between opinion and fact that I think you are unaware of. Again, I'm not interested in a first-hand account of someone's experience with The Secret. Not valid.

yea? by that logic what you say does not matter to me... i am also not interested in someone's opinion about how great a book is... not valid

The reason Jettison is so adamant (I think) is that you seem okay with determining what is acceptable for all people, not just for yourself. If I say The Secret changed my life, and I don't know where I'd be without it, then what would have happened if that book had been banned?

yea right... i have been crying "people please... please... please agree to have The Secret banned... please everyone.. agree to this" ... i have been repeatedly saying that I think it needs to be banned.

yea? by that logic what you say does not matter to me... i am also not interested in someone's opinion about how great a book is... not valid

yea right... i have been crying "people please... please... please agree to have The Secret banned... please everyone.. agree to this" ... i have been repeatedly saying that I think it needs to be banned.

What I'm saying to you is fact, not a first-hand opinion, but yes, you still have the right to disregard it. Again, I'm not sure you know the difference between a fact and an opinion. Further, nobody said that you are trying to get people to agree with you. What people are trying to say is that book banning is a pretty bad thing, and it's amazing that you don't see the irony in ranting about your right to an opinion while putting forth the idea that other peoples' opinions should be banned. You really don't see the contradiction in that?

Pot, meet kettle.

yup... the author of The Secret has the rights to write whatever she wanted. and i have the right to say whether i like the book or not....

and oh... if i feel that something, a book or a cult, is causing harm to people i know and people in general i again have the rights to say it needs to be banned. and you and other people have the right to listen to it or just plain ignore it...

every weekend i see protesters standing in front of the Scientology building here in my city having banners saying that it needs to be banned. they did not like it and they are expressing their views and opinions. the people passing by are not telling them "how dare you say that Scientology needs to be banned?"... nope.. they are either interested in knowing why it needs to be banned or they just keep minding their own business.

same goes here... i am not saying you need to join me and say that the book needs to be banned. i am saying that i feel it needs to be banned. it is my opinion. if you do not like it fine.. i do not care. but do not think that by repeatedly challenging my opinion i will finally bend down and accept your view. i have my rights.. and you have yours.

The irony was a bit painful for me, as well!

oh jeez... this is really a low blow... did not expect this from you bp.. yikes..

i think the more i stay in this thread the more arguments i am gonna have with people.... i had earlier said i don't want to be here any more..... oh well.. i should have listened to myself...

i am outta this thread..... this time for sure

Right. Gotcha. "I have my rights and you have yours" but you would gladly take away my rights if you were able if I happened to be the author of the book, The Secret. You have a serious disconnect in your logic going on here, and with as clearly as it's been laid out for you, I'm not at all sure that you're going to get it.

Of course you have the right to say that you don't like a book. Aren't you glad that you even have that right? And aren't you glad that the powers that be let you make that decision for yourself rather then making it for you? Are you really telling us that "authority figures" (no matter who they may be) are smarter then you simply because they are in a position of authority, and that their judgment is what matters, not your own?

In your world, it is ok for others to decide for you what you should be allowed to read. You are ok with handing others your rights, and letting them make the decision about what's ok to read for you.

same goes here... i am not saying you need to join me and say that the book needs to be banned. i am saying that i feel it needs to be banned. it is my opinion. if you do not like it fine.. i do not care. but do not think that by repeatedly challenging my opinion i will finally bend down and accept your view. i have my rights.. and you have yours.

Again, nobody is saying that you don't have a right to an opinion. But what your basing your opinion on is not fact.

If you were saying, this book is bad news, and here's why... and you had actual facts supporting that view, then maybe that's something that can be worked with. But even then, banning a book doesn't solve the problem. Books don't make people do things. It might inspire/discourage someone, but ultimately we all make our own choices.

I feel that this thread has been hi-jacked long enough. I also think that you are in for a long hard haul ahead of you if you continue down a path that encourages book banning and negative thinking. But, as you have repeatedly stated, you are entitled to live anyway you choose. Thank goodness for that freedom, right?

oh jeez... this is really a low blow... did not expect this from you bp.. yikes..

i think the more i stay in this thread the more arguments i am gonna have with people.... i had earlier said i don't want to be here any more..... oh well.. i should have listened to myself...

i am outta this thread..... this time for sure

Why is that a low blow? Because I'm agreeing with another poster? Not sure how that would be interpreted that way. But my apologies if you are feeling ganged-up on.

Archived