Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Study Abroad--Where to go!??

jengh

Where would you study abroad?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you study abroad?

I've wanted to study abroad for as long as I can remember and I think it's time to put that plan into action, I'm ready for the challenge. However, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out where I'd like to go!

My top choice would be Cairo, Egypt (ha, fitting). I've been fascinated with Egyptial art history since..third grade. In 6th grade we had to do a project on Egypt and I mummified a barbie and built a coffin and a pyramid! The only problem with this program is it's only a 4-week summer program and I would REALLY prefer to go abroad for a semester or maybe even a year. Has anyone lived in Egypt? I'm curious to know how I would adapt.

Another choice is France. I went there a few years ago and fell in love with Paris. I'd be studying French at the Sorbonne. It's either a semester or year long program. However, I've already been to France and wonder if I should go somewhere I HAVEN'T been to. Again, has anyone lived there?

Another choice would be southern Spain. Again, I've been there and have the same hesitations about choosing somewhere I've already been to. The program is all in Spanish and there's a variety of coursework I could take. (note: I speak Spanish and French so the language barrier isn't really an issue)

Another choice: Australia. I wouldn't have to worry about not being up to par with the language and it looks like an overall great area to study in. I'd be in Melbourne. I KNOW a lot of people on this forum are from Australia and wondering if you could share a bit? The program focuses on Environmento bio, something I'm really interested in.

And yet another choice: England. I think I would really love it there (my mom did and we're very similar). I don't really know what the study programs are, there's several to choose from in several different areas of England. I think I'd want to be in London though.

Soooo...any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

study abroad programs are usually an extended vacation. so if I had to choose, it would be

1. Aussie land obviously. so many great beaches, great barrier reef, wicked surfing, short flight to new zealand and surrounding asian countries.

2. England, i just love that place. expensive, but a lot of fun. again, short cheap flights to all over europe.

I have been to Egypt (Cairo) many times though never lived there more than couple of weeks.

I wouldn't suggest it to anyone for study.

But if you like it, why not.

Can you tell me what it was like? Plus/negative?

Why wouldn't you suggest it for study?

Is it major culture-shock?

I think I'd personally stick to egypt for travelling and the other places for studying.

You would only have 4 weeks for your program thereforee it's probably going to be quite intesive. That probably won't leave you much time to visit as you'll be concentrating in your studies - and in only 4 weeks.

I think egypt would probably be the biggest culture clash. I've heard of a lot of fraud stories involving camel tours and pyramid visits.

Just my opinion although I definetly want to visit egypt some day too!!

Without a doubt Spain. It's extremely popular when it comes to studying abroad. It seems to be the favorite, I never studied there (i just always go there) but all my friends did and loved it. Now, I love Europe, so I personally would want to go to there. Another plus of studying in Spain is that you have all the other beautiful European countries right next to you. I know a lot of friends that studied in Spain and often went to Italy, France, and Greece on their breaks.

Yeah, after gathering more information about Egypt and its culture, I'm beginning to think it'd be a better place to visit as opposed to actually studying/living there.

I love Europe, too. Definitely going to go back at some point, whether that will be studying or just visiting. It's such a hard choice, as there's so many options!

Oh I know what you mean, I've been planning to study abroad for years now, and I think I finally will next year. It's really hard when there are so many countries to choose from. Egypt has always been one of the top places I want to visit, but just to visit, not study. I'm going to Spain, I've never been there but I'm in love with their culture and I've heard a lot of really nice stories from friends that have been there. Also, it's in Europe and it's close to all those nice countries like France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, and surely you'll get a chance to visit them. My brother studied abroad in France and got to visit Turkey, Spain, Switzerland, Greece, the Czech Republic, I'm so jealous of him!

I've been to Egypt a few times for short visits and am planning to go there to study Arabic for about 2 months at the end of this year. It is definitely a huge cultural shock but I just love it there.

If i were you, I think I would choose a non-english speaking country. Australia and England might be great but you would still be using your mother tongue there.

I absolutely love Barcelona (lived there for 3 months)...but other Spanish cities are great too. Im not so much into France (though my mother tongue is French) but I guess it is a matter of taste.

Spain is an amazing country. I fell in love with Barcelona and Toledo. I'm really considering going back.

I heard Greece was a very dirty country.

Yea, mainland Greece is poor and dirty. I almost got robbed in Athens, so I'm sure there is a lot of crime too. However the islands are beautiful and much cleaner. But you can only visit those islands, I believe the main place to study is in Athens unfortunately. My favorite islands are Mykonos and Santorini. I heard Carfu is beautiful too.

Spain is an amazing country. I fell in love with Barcelona and Toledo. I'm really considering going back.

I heard Greece was a very dirty country.

Did you ever go to Zaragoza? My school has an exchange partner there but I had really wanted to go to Barcelona. Don't know anything about Zaragoza and was wondering if you've been there.

Did you ever go to Zaragoza? My school has an exchange partner there but I had really wanted to go to Barcelona. Don't know anything about Zaragoza and was wondering if you've been there.

I only spent a few hours in Zaragoza. It's a pretty area, on some big river (i think it was a river, it was a few years ago..i just know there was water!!). There's a lot of really old architecture and cathederals there, which were really pretty. As for the rest of it, I'm not really sure as I didn't have much time to explore. Some cute little shops.

I don't remember it being too far away from Barcelona. I stopped there on my way to Barcelona.

Just letting you know Australia has the hottest guys. Just saying.

So does Spain!

I only spent a few hours in Zaragoza. It's a pretty area, on some big river (i think it was a river, it was a few years ago..i just know there was water!!). There's a lot of really old architecture and cathederals there, which were really pretty. As for the rest of it, I'm not really sure as I didn't have much time to explore. Some cute little shops.

I don't remember it being too far away from Barcelona. I stopped there on my way to Barcelona.

Ooh then I might really like Zaragoza, I really love that old architecture and colonial-type cities with little shops and such. I've looked at some pictures online and it's really nice. I still wanted to study in either Madrid or Barcelona though, but that would take extra planning and money because my school wouldn't take care of it. Also, I'd really like to stay in a city that's very Spanish (not much outside influence) and Madrid and Barcelona might be too international, so maybe Zaragoza might be better in that regard. So we'll see, I still have time to decide

If you want my opinion on Madrid vs Barcelona...Barcelona hands-down. I found Madrid to be a really dirty city. Yeah, I mean, it was a blast and the museo de Prado was awesome...but it just didn't PULL me like Barcelona did.

Barcelona has the coolest architecture of any city I've ever been in. Are you familiar with Goudi? Look him up if you're not. PLUS, it's right on the Mediterranean which means beach and awesome seafood. I went to this fabulous restaurant right on a pier, they had the BEST paella I've ever had. I've been trying to replicate it ever since.

If you want my opinion on Madrid vs Barcelona...Barcelona hands-down. I found Madrid to be a really dirty city. Yeah, I mean, it was a blast and the museo de Prado was awesome...but it just didn't PULL me like Barcelona did.

Barcelona has the coolest architecture of any city I've ever been in. Are you familiar with Goudi? Look him up if you're not. PLUS, it's right on the Mediterranean which means beach and awesome seafood. I went to this fabulous restaurant right on a pier, they had the BEST paella I've ever had. I've been trying to replicate it ever since.

You know, everyone I've talked to that has gone to Spain tells me exactly the same thing, Barcelona hands down. They say the same thing about Madrid, that it's a dirty city. And it's probably too similar to the city I am in now, really big and busy and modern, so why would I want to stay somewhere so similar to home. Yes I'm familiar with Gaudi, there's another point for Barcelona. So if it's between Barcelona and Madrid I'm definitely going to Barcelona, plus I'm a fan of their soccer team lol Thanks again for the info!

P.S. Let us know where you decide to go in the end.

I love Barcelona too but when I go back I would want to experience more of the culture. Barcelona is very touristy and international, while southern Spain like Seville and Valencia are more authentic. Most of my friends studied in southern Spain, but it doesn't have the entertainment that Barcelona has. Whatever you choose you can't go wrong.

I voted for England!

My cousins all live there and when they speak about their "uni days" I do get a bit envious. It seems very easy to make friends there for some reason, since all my cousins have a bunch of friends and a great social life.

That was one of the reasons I picked England. Also, if you come from a small place like me it can be so cool being there. Everything is very fast paced and there is always places to go or stuff to do.

Downside: it gets dark there at 3pm during winter and it's cool/windy most of the year.

Plus side: the fashion!! You can be as crazy as you want when it comes to wearing stuff b/c it's so big and the shopping is guddd too.

The oppertunities when it comes to jobs/education seem amazing.

Another choice: Spain.

Never been there and I don't know much about it. But it seems like a lovely place minus the cold unpredicatable weather which seems to be what most people complain about in England. I swear, over there "the weather" seems to get talked about alot and it gets alot of attention. Sometimes you need to plan your day around it and check forecasts.

From what I have read of your posts seems like you would like Spain since you seem to love the sun and relaxing/fun?

All the other places seem cool as well, specially France.

I'm living in Madrid right now (it's not dirty at all)..anyway I'd pick France just so I could practice my French (actually I'm planning on moving to Paris in a few months)..

If you go to Southern Spain it will be easy to visit Morocco and Egypt...

However, the poster that mentioned England and social life is right imo, I went to London and Nottingham for a few weeks (when I was in my-relatively boring- student exchange in Sweden) and I was so envious of their uni life, both in the City University of London and the Uni. of Nottingham everyone seemed to be very outgoing and their social life was great too...

I would say either Spain or France. Andalucia is amazing for culture, food, night life, everything. There are a lot of foreign students living in Seville for example. And it is a beautiful romantic city on the banks of a river. Barcelona vs Madrid, I would definitely say Barcelona, because it is a beach city and even in the winter while it does get cold, it is nowhere near as cold as Madrid and it has a much more laid back vibe. Madrid is like any other big city in the world.

The other advantage about Spain or France is that you have all of Europe at your doorstep. You can take weekend trips away to most European cities, specially from Paris. If you are in Southern Spain, depending on where you have Morocco or from Barcelona the South of France is very accessible as are the islands of Ibiza, Mallorca etc.. which are specially good if you are a beach/party person.

Australia is too similar to N America I think. And you are basically stuck there for the whole year. I am sure you will enjoy it, but it won't be as culturally fulfilling as going to Europe.

Archived