Do Nice Guys Really Finish Last?

Dagless

It's a phrase I've heard a lot, I think Green Day even have a song call "Nice Guys Finish last" and I've always kind of dismiss it as one of those myths that needy guys come up with as a reason why their clinginess scare women away. But I was wondering is there any truth in it?

Ladies, would you reject a guy because he was too nice or would just not find him attractive?

Does a guy have to have an edge, be a little bit mean or is it just a myth?

You tell me.

It's a phrase I've heard a lot, I think Green Day even have a song call "Nice Guys Finish last" and I've always kind of dismiss it as one of those myths that needy guys come up with as a reason why their clinginess scare women away. But I was wondering is there any truth in it?

Ladies, would you reject a guy because he was too nice or would just not find him attractive?

Does a guy have to have an edge, be a little bit mean or is it just a myth?

You tell me.

It's a COMPLETE myth as far as I'm concerned Dags...

I'm looking for a nice guy...just can't find one.

Don't change...stay just as nice as you are and you will find a nice girl!!!

~Allie

In my dating experience - and from what my female friends have pointblank TOLD me - most girls DO want a gentleman who's respectful, caring, considerate, etc. Nice guys do NOT always finish last.

But girls want the guy to have a little bit of edge. Whether it's flirtiness, cockiness, confidence, or whatever. It's the spice that makes the "niceness" actually SEXY.

A nice but shy (read: spineless) guy who fawns over the girl, does whatever she says, and lets her call the shots is a) either going to get dumped soon in favor of a more take-charge guy, or b) going to be the doormat in the relationship and taken advantage of at every turn by the girl. Just my 2 cents.

It's a COMPLETE myth as far as I'm concerned Dags...

I'm looking for a nice guy...just can't find one.

Don't change...stay just as nice as you are and you will find a nice girl!!!

~Allie

Don't worry Allie, I'm not looking to change I'm just throwing it out there see what people think.

I couldn't be mean anyway I'm much too nice for that

doormats with low self-esteem finish last. they need to amend the wording to be more accurate.

absolutely 100% correct.

Being "nice" isn't the killer thing.

Nice guys can make me swoon.... gentlemen, dependable men, real friends.... those are the ones who I fall for. But you also gotta have a backbone. Don't care about yourself and I won't care either.

This is a response I posted in another thread on the same subject:

It's not that women dislike nice guys, but rather women have a strong need to be pursued. Her heart comes alive when she knows she is desired and it's up to the man to make his desire for her known.

The problem with "nice guys" is they're often "afraid guys". They hide their feelings under a false pretense of appropriateness and never take up their proverbial swords and go to battle for her. Women do not want bad boys or ***holes, but unfortunately those kinds of guys are usually the type that are willing to fight. Their motives may be amiss, they may have selfish intentions, but the fact that they're willing to fight for her and pursue her is what her heart responds to.

Hold strong to your morals and ethics of treating a woman with respect. Every beauty out there longs to have a man with a noble heart, but nobility is more than just treating a woman right. Nobility involves the courage to face fears of rejection and failure and to go out there and battle for her heart. Set your face like flint and show her what she means to you. Take no account of the bad boys that chase her. A truly noble man will prevail if he has a courageous and good heart.

doormats with low self-esteem finish last. they need to amend the wording to be more accurate.

Exactly!

This whole, 'Girls like Bad Boys and nice guys finish last' is such a farce.

As ED said, many people mistake the words 'nice guy', with 'spineless, needy, and low self-esteem'.

All girls want a nice guy. A nice guy who's confident and secure with himself. A guy doesn't have to be clingy and fall down to our every whim to be a nice guy. He can have a back bone and stand up for himself, and even get mad at us if we're being unreasonable, and he can still be a nice guy!!

"Nice" is a horrible word to begin with. It's so bland and general - doesn't relay any meaning besides "you're a positive person."

Thus, the term "nice guy" is general as well. Like posters before me said, the phrase should be "Insecure guys without any self-respect or self-esteem finish last."

Not "Loving and caring guys finish last."

Not "Gentlemen finish last."

Not "Shy guys finish last."

Not "Gandhi finishes last."

Get my point?

well there you have it. proof that nice guys actually get all the girls. but gandhi didnt take no crap, he knew he was worth it, and deserved all the ladies.. and thats exactly what he got.. they all lived happily ever after.. the end.

Gandhi had a wife... and he would certainly have disagreed with you on that statement. He was a spiritual warrior to be sure, but he had humility because he knew he had flaws as well.

Yes he had a wife, but if there was one thing he wasn't good at it was being a husband. He put the needs of mankind above the needs of himself and his family. There aren't many individuals who can do that in this world.

And my statement was more of a romantic exaggeration, just to be clear. I just have great respect and admiration for the man.

Archived