Moments that changed you

blueangel

Do you feel life has affected you a lot?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel life has affected you a lot?

• Yes
    • Not "affected"...

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

moments that I was in life danger (for example: they made me realise how much more important some things in life are than they are 'promoted' and made me decide to live more at the moment and to do more directly the things I want to do/support and to go more against the things I'm against)

some books I've read (gave me more/different insight/view of things and brought new ideas,..)

sport (made me feel much better and to put away some thoughts on my mind (or at least for a while))

sex (helped me to reduce stress (which seems to be one of my biggest problems) and feel more connected with others,..)

the meeting of other people (again: gave me more different views on things)

probably more things and I could add later..

Hmm...

Parents seperation

spending the summers of my childhood in Europe as a result

Parents remarrying and seperating twice, each

Losing my eye in a car accident

Subsequent surgeries and overcoming obstacles related

When I stopped dating messed up guys because I realized I deserved better

Getting my settlement

Cleaning out my social closet

Choosing to be happy

Organizing my life

Ending my last pseudo-relationship

...Every day is a challenge and I've noticed that every day changes me.

Oh you must be so powerful/full of strength *hug*

I can say that my relationship with my recent ex has changed me, and only for the better. She taught me what it means to love, others and myself. She was the driving force behind everything I did, and in that I learned to push myself, and it made me realize what I really can do. If it was not for here I would have a typical teenager job, working for minimum wage, and hating going to work every day. Instead I work in the corporate headquarters for a successful company, and actually enjoy going to work every day.

If it was not for her I would probably be doing horrible in school and wasting my life. If I had never met her, I have my doubts on even graduating High School with good enough grades to do anything with. I would probably still be hanging out with the same friends getting baked out of my mind every day and doing nothing.

She made me a better me, and even though she left me, I could not be more thankful for everything she has done for me, and there is no one in this world that I love more.

Birth of my first child.

Still born birth of my second at 30 weeks.

Surviving a horrible car accident that should have taken my life.

My parents divorce on my 16th birthday.

My brother, who's a policeman, getting shot.

Love of my life, walking out without explanation.

Buying my first house...on my own.

I'm sure the future will hold many many more!

• 1 month later...

i was working with my counsellor, i had been seeing her for a few months, endlessly discussing my issues, my isolation and my fear of leaving my husband and i was sitting accross from her and she just kept asking me "what do you want" and i kept naming off all these inconsequential things and she just kept hammering at me asking me what did i really want and at one point I loudly proclaimed: "i want to be free" it was the most pivotal moment for me because I realized how completely trapped i felt in the life i was living. My husband I split up shortly after that and I moved accross the country to pursue my dream of becoming a professional counsellor.

Taking a blood test and finally being confronted with the fact that after 15 years of poor diet and little exercise, if I didn't change my habits, within a few years I would become diabetic. I have lost 40 pounds since July 27.

And reading this thread.

For so long I've felt depressed. That my life is hopeless and 'oh woe is me'. But I've read what some of you have been through and I think "What excuse do I have for turning my back on the world?" I mean, my mom is hardly abusive (she is just bipolar and sometimes gets angry, but she's never smacked my face) I have always had enough to eat, I had plenty of presents under the tree, I was told I was loved everyday as a young child.

I know I am just 18 so my life is just starting but some of the things you all have been through, I honestly don't know if I could have survived it. And yet here you all are, alive and going forward. You continue to find the beauty of life and do what you can to make a purpose for yourselves in the short time we are here. You especially blueangel, are inspiring to me. I will walk away from this thread with increased sense of purpose and try viewing life as a potentially beautiful experience. So, I thank you blueangel for making this and contributing and everyone else here for adding too, thank you

I used to babysit two beautiful little girls. One day we were sitting on the hood of my mom's car and the oldest said that she wanted to be just like me when she grew up. I thought that was the sweetest thing at the time. A few weeks later her mother killed her. I couldn't stop crying for her. I cried for days. I couldn't get over the fact that she wouldn't have the chance to grow up but it also made me more aware of myself as a role model. There I did it, now I'm crying again..........

There was a time when a lot of tension existed between my mother and I. At the time, I felt as though I needed her approval for everything I did. Long story short, one evening we (with my father and a friend) drove to a nearby restaurant. After parking the car a couple blocks away, we started walking down the block. I was uncomfortable being in her presense during that particular day, so I walked a few steps ahead of her. I knew she wanted me to walk beside her, but I didn't want to. When she had enough of it, she erupted in anger.

When we ate as a group in the restaurant, but I was completely disconnected from everything, not saying anything or even looking at anyone. Afterwards, when we left the restaurant, I walked in a different direction than everyone else. They went home as I wandered around town, walking just to get away. An hour or so later, my mother called me on my cell phone several times, but I refused to answer it.

I eventually wandered back home, my father picking me up in the car. I vented to him what was going on. I did not speak to my mother for the next couple days, but soon called her while she was at work, to apologize for what I had done. She, too, realized that she had always been too controlling of her son. At that moment, everything changed. I realized that communication in any kind of relationship is key. I pursued things that I suddenly felt comfortable pursuing.

The point, I suppose, is that the most unpleasant moments can lead to the biggest change.

Do you feel life has affected you a lot?

Yes

Not "affected"...

I don't understand this. Is this with the thought of things that have happened to us that our out of our control or? Maybe I'm being too analytical already this morning but I don't feel as though life has affected me. The choices and actions that I've made in my life have.

Eye opening moments:

Birth of my children.

Death of loved ones far too early.

Illness within family (my mom's mini stroke.)

Every single day, smile, laugh, struggle, my childrens bright blue eyes - daily!

Moving an hour away from all of my family.

Realization that I am happy and can forever be happy being single.

I'm sure there are more.

I used to babysit two beautiful little girls. One day we were sitting on the hood of my mom's car and the oldest said that she wanted to be just like me when she grew up. I thought that was the sweetest thing at the time. A few weeks later her mother killed her. I couldn't stop crying for her. I cried for days. I couldn't get over the fact that she wouldn't have the chance to grow up but it also made me more aware of myself as a role model. There I did it, now I'm crying again..........

Oh my. How terrible. Bless her little soul. And hugs to you....

Falling pregnant with my husband, then realising i'd have to go it alone when he told me to get a abortion.

Bringing up my son alone.

Watching my mum battle and nearly losing her to Bipolar.

Realising i do have selfworth and should go for what i want in life.

watching my son go off to school on his first day...

• 1 year later...

Growing up a little more ok a lot more.

Meeting my current boyfriend at a time I had been punishing myself for my past

Learning what my convictions are and writing again

Seeing something beautiful in me even if no one else sees my soul, even through others' hate...which has been hardest

Coming here today and reflecting on myself.

• 3 months later...

Definitely:

- when I was in lifedanger.

- my break up, to feel that alone and broken and surprised ( in a negative way).

- moments men showed deep love. Personal and true and from the heart.

- suffering years of illness and learning to be even more happy with small things than I was before.

- after reading some good books.

- times I could afford myself spending more money from the bank than other moments. Being able to buy things I wanted for a long time or never bought before or that made me feel way more comfortable.

- when I was wearing my 600 EUR wig which was way more comfortable and beautiful than the other ones and than being mainly bald.

- when I took his virginity away. I saw it as a kind of compliment and I still love him also for that fact on itself. I love the way it makes me feel connected and special and the trust.

Finding my calling in life (the highest point in my life, age 15)

My firt love (taught me nothing lasts forever and you can completely recover from a broken heart)

Meeting the most amazing man in the world and having him in my life in one form or another for the rest of my life.

Being a parent.

Every single time an underdog wins anything. (that is so cool!)

The night my ex fiancee broke up with me, I experienced Jesus for the first time. I felt his presence in my room as it lit up in the darkess and I felt it and just knew he was there. I was feeling suicidal, flailing on the floor, crying my heart out, begging God to end my life, even though I didn't even know if there really was such thing as God. Well, he certainly let Himself be known!

Another experience was tutoring at a writing center. It changed my life because I met almost all of my friends/SOs there and it was the first time I felt like I really "belonged." All of us were about the same age and interested in the same things, so something clicked and I no longer felt out of place. We played boardgames, traveled, did a lot together and I had an identity.

Another situation was meeting my best friend at a party. Before I met her, I didn't trust females. But she pursued our friendship and took me under her wing. 15 years later, she is still there for me even though we have good tmies and bad. If I hadn't met her, I wouldn't have met my ex fiancee. I wouldn't have done half the things I've done for myself. Really, without her, I don't know where I'd be, but she believed in me. Come to think of it, if I hadn't met my first love in 9th grade, I wouldn't have met my best friend through him, and I wouldn't have met my ex fiancee through her! It is a chain! Almost everyone is connected to my first love who moved into my neighborhood in 9th grade. It is amazing.

I'm going to add another one. My boyfriend and I were talking with our pastor about the concerns I was having with him in regards to taking the relationship further. Suddenly, my boyfriend started crying right in front of the pastor and said "No one has ever cared about me enough to be this honest with me." I held him in my arms and told him I loved him and I meant it.

Ok, one more. I was on the subway and I man with a flask of alcohol got on my train. I was reading a book about unconditional love and I suddenly looked at him and said "Everybody has something beauiful about them." He started crying, told me I was an angel, and threw his flask away, telling me he was done with drinking for good. I have no idea what prompted me to just blurt that out because usually I'm shy and a bit paranoid about talking to strangers, but the Holy Spirit must have had compassion for this man and used me to speak to him at the right minute. I will never forget that.

The moment I figured out my father was mentally ill....I was 4 or 5

The sexual, mental and emotional and physical abuse I suffered as a child

When I figured out I could turn my suffering into empathy

Having my grandmother die in my arms

giving birth to my beautiful son

holding my dead child.

Knowing the depth and enormity of love Jesus and God have for me and hoping I always have the will to return it

meeting a very incredible friend who opened a lot of things for me

Archived